Jump to content
Mickyj

The Pat

Recommended Posts

Hi Micky. Fished there Monday morning. Water level low, still weed particularly the northern end and the dolphins swimming by for good measure ... and no fish of any kind that I could tempt. VERY disappointing 😔. Drove past late Wednesday afternoon and it looked perfect particularly for surface action. Hopefully it will pick up as the weather warms up and that weed moves on ... but its seems it may need a whole lot of hope. Regards HBt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HB tragic said:

Hi Micky. Fished there Monday morning. Water level low, still weed particularly the northern end and the dolphins swimming by for good measure ... and no fish of any kind that I could tempt. VERY disappointing 😔. Drove past late Wednesday afternoon and it looked perfect particularly for surface action. Hopefully it will pick up as the weather warms up and that weed moves on ... but its seems it may need a whole lot of hope. Regards HBt.

 

Thanks HB I went down the other week it was supposed to be high tide it was like they didn't open the gate . And a dolphin was cruising a metre out from the rock wall up from the bridge . The rocks that should be in the water were covered in weed and it was out from the steps.

I'll leave the pat a little longer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mrfish said:

Hi Mickey,

Have seen some good sized salmon coming out of west lakes (45cm+) in the last week. I know you fish there often too so maybe stick with westlakes for a while.

Hey Mr Fish funny you should say that got some salmon 4 today at the lake biggest was only 30. Number 5 was slightly bigger i felt it hit felt like it was gone almost landed it spat the bottom trebles. When I looked at the double clutch afterwards bottom trebles intact Top ones all gone just the shaft ( sorry couldn't think of a better word ) left. I should've gotten more number 1 I got at 6.15 then by 6.50 I was going to change the lure I didn't get time the water just went on the boil and birds went off was insane and fun 

Double clutch hooks are crap imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mickyj said:

Hey Mr Fish funny you should say that got some salmon 4 today at the lake biggest was only 30. Number 5 was slightly bigger i felt it hit felt like it was gone almost landed it spat the bottom trebles. When I looked at the double clutch afterwards bottom trebles intact Top ones all gone just the shaft ( sorry couldn't think of a better word ) left. I should've gotten more number 1 I got at 6.15 then by 6.50 I was going to change the lure I didn't get time the water just went on the boil and birds went off was insane and fun 

Double clutch hooks are crap imho

Just get some decent singles if going after salmon. Decoy 'plugging singles' in probably size 1 or 2 should be much more reliable. Not sure how they go with the bream, though, as it might reduce the hookup there. Maybe a single on the back and a jig assist or 2 on the front could work? As long as there's no extra bits on the assist hook it shouldn't affect the action too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TommisnSalmon said:

Just get some decent singles if going after salmon. Decoy 'plugging singles' in probably size 1 or 2 should be much more reliable. Not sure how they go with the bream, though, as it might reduce the hookup there. Maybe a single on the back and a jig assist or 2 on the front could work? As long as there's no extra bits on the assist hook it shouldn't affect the action too much.

Thanks for that .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TommisnSalmon said:

Just get some decent singles if going after salmon. Decoy 'plugging singles' in probably size 1 or 2 should be much more reliable. Not sure how they go with the bream, though, as it might reduce the hookup there. Maybe a single on the back and a jig assist or 2 on the front could work? As long as there's no extra bits on the assist hook it shouldn't affect the action too much.

^^^ This.

I can vouch for this method and the Decoy Plugging Singles - I use them on all my HBs (with exception to my YFW surface lures and a small handful of Jackal Chubbies) and am very happy.

  • stronger -  haven't had a single hook break / failure yet. Where as various other trebles have broken / bent out of shape. 
  • stay sharper for longer, yet to have to replace one
  • better on the fish for C&R purposes
  • safer for me as less points to get caught on when the fish is flapping about everywhere
  • better catch rate on hooked fish

Hook up rate is lower, but I put that down to tentative / inquisitive strikes (more so with Bream), where as if the fish wants it they will smash it (generally the case with Flathead / Salmon and YFW in my experience) and then its on like donkey kong!

Ill put some pics up when Im home Micky, but basically:

  • 75mm DCs (as I know you use these) - belly and tail #6
  • 50-60mm minnow / shad style HBs - belly and tail #8
  • 30-40mm minnow / cranks - no belly, tail only #8 
  • 90mm and above - depends on the target fish - anything from #4 - #2/0

If I was specifically chasing Salmon, I would only use a single tail hook, not second belly hook. So much easier to handle the fish once you have landed it and lets face it, Salmon aren't tentative, they want it, they smash it. 

Cheers

TL

Edited by Territory Lad
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Territory Lad said:

^^^ This.

I can vouch for this method and the Decoy Plugging Singles - I use them on all my HBs (with exception to my YFW surface lures and a small handful of Jackal Chubbies) and am very happy.

  • stronger -  haven't had a single hook break / failure yet. Where as various other trebles have broken / bent out of shape. 
  • stay sharper for longer, yet to have to replace one
  • better on the fish for C&R purposes
  • safer for me as less points to get caught on when the fish is flapping about everywhere
  • better catch rate on hooked fish

Hook up rate is lower, but I put that down to tentative / inquisitive strikes (more so with Bream), where as if the fish wants it they will smash it (generally the case with Flathead / Salmon and YFW in my experience) and then its on like donkey kong!

Ill put some pics up when Im home Micky, but basically:

  • 75mm DCs (as I know you use these) - belly and tail #6
  • 50-60mm minnow / shad style HBs - belly and tail #8
  • 30-40mm minnow / cranks - no belly, tail only #8 
  • 90mm and above - depends on the target fish - anything from #4 - #2/0

If I was specifically chasing Salmon, I would only use a single tail hook, not second belly hook. So much easier to handle the fish once you have landed it and lets face it, Salmon aren't tentative, they want it, they smash it. 

Cheers

TL

Sounds like me got to do some shopping.who sells them in Adelaide or online 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Territory Lad said:

Both Tackleworld and Ray and Annes sell them - as do online stores. I would suggest start by changing over one or two lures to see if you like them before going all in. Not everyone is a fan of singles.

Thanks TL once I get time I'll head into TW and get a small amount .

Still it was awesome watching the water erupt . And I got three of the four by casting the lure into or around the boil . Worked better by just casting and they hit a still lure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Territory Lad said:

Both Tackleworld and Ray and Annes sell them - as do online stores. I would suggest start by changing over one or two lures to see if you like them before going all in. Not everyone is a fan of singles.

Just an update Tackleworld didn't have the size told me like before you can't use single hooks on DC so I bought barbless trebles to try out I'll just try on this lure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised Mickey - handful if different lures with varying singles sizes and set ups (including DCs).

20180915_125012.jpg.7d035ea377f8614ab86fb311aa22e214.jpg

 

Regarding T/world and their advice. Singles work for me and what I do/want, but they aren't for everyone. Experiment and find what works for you.

Brabless trebles are a great option👍

TL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Territory Lad said:

As promised Mickey - handful if different lures with varying singles sizes and set ups (including DCs).

20180915_125012.jpg.7d035ea377f8614ab86fb311aa22e214.jpg

 

Regarding T/world and their advice. Singles work for me and what I do/want, but they aren't for everyone. Experiment and find what works for you.

Brabless trebles are a great option👍

TL

Cheers for that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Territory Lad said:

As promised Mickey - handful if different lures with varying singles sizes and set ups (including DCs).

20180915_125012.jpg.7d035ea377f8614ab86fb311aa22e214.jpg

 

Regarding T/world and their advice. Singles work for me and what I do/want, but they aren't for everyone. Experiment and find what works for you.

Brabless trebles are a great option👍

TL

Jesus those decoy plugging singles absolutely shit me to tears. Used them on a hot bite one time off some rocks and dropped fish after fish after fish swinging them up onto the rocks. 

 

Personally use gamakatsu or owner inline singles and never had a problem with those. 

Interesting you have a good landing rate with the decoys. My hook up rage was good but lifting fish was... I'm mad just thinking about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, brenton said:

sadly it seems the Pat is rooted.

       cheers nereus

Unfortunately this could very well be the case ...but as all good fisherman know and I hate to stoop to gutter humour often things come back better than ever after a good rooting 😉. Lets hope so. Regards HBt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, HB tragic said:

Unfortunately this could very well be the case ...but as all good fisherman know and I hate to stoop to gutter humour often things come back better than ever after a good rooting 😉. Lets hope so. Regards HBt.

Let's not forget it hasnt got hot yet might turn around .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2018 at 4:11 PM, AquaticResearch1 said:

Jesus those decoy plugging singles absolutely shit me to tears. Used them on a hot bite one time off some rocks and dropped fish after fish after fish swinging them up onto the rocks. 

 

Personally use gamakatsu or owner inline singles and never had a problem with those. 

Interesting you have a good landing rate with the decoys. My hook up rage was good but lifting fish was... I'm mad just thinking about it.

Interesting AR. Whilst my fishing is landbased, I dont really ever have to lift a fish. I'm either beaching the fish on a flat or netting them. Maybe I have also just been lucky.

I do have a few larger HBs rigged with Owner singles and whilst their profile lets them sit better (at least visually) I am yet to jag a fish on one so I cant compare them as yet from a performance aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2018 at 4:11 PM, AquaticResearch1 said:

Jesus those decoy plugging singles absolutely shit me to tears. Used them on a hot bite one time off some rocks and dropped fish after fish after fish swinging them up onto the rocks. 

 

Personally use gamakatsu or owner inline singles and never had a problem with those. 

Interesting you have a good landing rate with the decoys. My hook up rage was good but lifting fish was... I'm mad just thinking about it.

I've never had an issue lifting fish on the Decoys, even with crushed barbs. Even STs going absolutely nuts on the end of the line haven't fallen off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×