alvey 650c....

i dropped the alvey reel in the shed and took a chip out of... a fair old chunk actually... beeen like it for 18 yrs so its about time i had a go at fixing it.... am taking pics as an interest thing, am using araldite to build up, then sand down and paint afterwards..... so far so good, just needs to dry then another coat to slowly build it up. will post up some pics later ...

Aaah memory lane. You guys have motivated me to clean up my old 650c1,fibreglass spool, its close to 25 years old. It even caught a mackerel at Exmouth many years ago spinning off the rocks with one of the "incredible irons" range of lures. They were good lures and some worked ok with the Alvey. Whatever happened to them?The butterworth rod I used is 25 years old as well. Are they worth restoring or will the fibreglass have degraded too much?

i love my alvey.... have tried spinners, and overheads from the rocks..... much prefer the alvey.... i can get a better cast from it, simple, the drag system is at my finger, and that ratchet is as loud as hell... has woke me up many times from all night fishing trips when it screams off.... excellant soundwell shes all sanded and painted up.... i dont think the paint will last with the line cutting into it, but i may even redo the paint in 2 pak which would be a lot tougher... also heard from a mate in quensland who uses eppoxy resin a lot in his line of work.... and passed on a few tips to using eppoxy.add believe it or not.... TALCUM POWDER ....added to the mix will make it even stronger.....paint can be added during the mixing to help with colour matching, and if using 5 minute araldite, just pop it in the fridge a couple of hours before.... that makes it cure a bit slower as with the 5 min stuff the window to get it on before it starts to set is a damn sight less than 5 minutes..... ...

• 2 months later...

dammit.... after fixing the alvey it lasted all of 3 weeks, then when packing up i somehow hit it on a rock, and it shattered the repair in exaclty the same spot...so i repaired it again...this time i sprayed with automotive paint for a bit more durability...used the WINNING colour of ford blue.its a pearl metalic and really stands out..... the holden colour just isnt fast enough...bit like there cars actually.....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Alveys are the most reliable reel in the world there's no doubt of that. I have one that is 30+yrs old and has never had any repairs until earlier this week. And all that it needed was a $2 spring that just clipped in. They are using a lot of the same parts they were 30yrs ago. There is nothing better for winching a salmon up onto a cliff, Or dragging a big mully up the beach. Sand and salt don't worry them either.

Alveys are the most reliable reel in the world there's no doubt of that. I have one that is 30+yrs old and has never had any repairs until earlier this week. And all that it needed was a $2 spring that just clipped in. They are using a lot of the same parts they were 30yrs ago. There is nothing better for winching a salmon up onto a cliff, Or dragging a big mully up the beach. Sand and salt don't worry them either.

hit the nail right on the head then..... ALVEY FOREVER in my book.plus i can take to a surf beach, drop it in the sand and with a quick rinse in the surf carry on fishing without a worry in the world. ive just ordered a new ratchet assembly... mine is still servicable, but has lost a bit of the LOUDNESS alveys have when a fish screams off...( love that sound)

AH racing blue..a few stripes and it’ll go faster ;)Why are you messing around with such old junk.When you can pick up a later model these days dirt cheap.

200 bucks for a new one... and besides... it a sentimental thing, and if it aint broke...why mess with it.. im yet to find ANY other reel that will last 20 plus years, being used 2-5 times a week.... it gets oiled about every 3 mths, the drag is as loud as a scorned woman, and has a simple easy to use with finger tips drag.... i often sleep out on the rocks, if it screams ( and it has many times) its never failed to wake me up. alvey also make a lever drag system,,,, but i dont know anyone thats tried one...would like to know if they are as good as the star drags....

I had the lever drag one.. Sold it to a guy in perth when I stopped beach fishingI ran 50LB mono with 650yds line.Went for $80But you will find many newer models for the same price that you paid for the araldite used in rebuilding it.As for reels lasting 20 plus years I’m still will use and old 30 year diawa which still shows no signs of quitting.And will outlast my $1200 van staal.

But you will find many newer models for the same price that you paid for the araldite used in rebuilding it.

Not to sure about that one ,the newer modern ones are going for around the 200 mark, and on ebay any of the old favourites are getting plenty of interest.What we dont realise here in SA is that the Alvey is very popular on the East coast,you go to a beach here and its predomitately eggbeaters ,go to Frazer Island,or pretty much any beach on the NSW coast and its still dominated by them.Which works out good for us here in SA who like them,always a bargain.I have watched my old man ,a pure magician in the art of using an Alvey,pretty much outfish anyone on a beach many a time.Nice one Rocknev,hope the old girl serves you well for many a session.Cheers

ive noticed the alvey seems to be a fave in them same areas.... went to elliston, and i had the only alvey out of 17 people on the beach...almonta was the same sort of ratio...convention beach and lincoln national park where they skull drag the salmon up a cliff(forgot the name of the place) are owned by alveys.....out of 19 people on convention beach at the time, all but one had the alvey.i can cast far further with an alvey than a spinner or overhead....those that have tried and failed need to hit a school oval, tie sinker to main line and fling the hell out of it...doesnt take long to master, and when you do master you will think wow...ive been led to belive that the alvey STILL holds records for distance in casting competions...anyone know for sure?fished the snapper comp at whyalla.... landed a small snapper at 1.88kg, but really tangled with a stingray...that was fun, got him in and had a look...cut him off for next time...aint nothing finer a sound than an alvey drag screaming its tits off....LOVE IT.

Reading this thread, made me look thru the shed cupboards for my old 650c Alvey reel, who services them around Adelaide?I haven't used this reel for over 30 years, probably close to 35 years, it seems to be locked up at present, I did pull lit to peices and cleaned it out, still got the original grease on the pinion wheel and the ratchet, even the fiber washers look like they are in good condition.Have to admit, when they take off everyone can hear the scream of the Alvey