Bandsaw - Snapper Cutlets

56 minutes ago, dutchy said:

Just bought an 18v repcipro saw....now I have a reason I can tell the wife why I bought it! Thanks for that.

The last snapper I cut into cutlets I froze the snapper then put it's head in the vice with a tub under it then cut into cutlets using a reciprocating saw.

I didn't have a stainless blade but if I was planning to do it often I would purchase one, I just cleaned all the paint off of a new blade & used that.

One tip is to cut a section out of an ice cream lid, put a slit in it & put it behind the foot plate then put the blade through it, this saves as much "saw dust/meat" going into the saw. I cleaned the saw off with a paint brush & flour to get any residue "saw dust/meat" off.

Yorky

I've never done cutlets or eaten them, but personally like my fish to only have flesh, no bones or remnants of bones (apart from snapper wings).    It takes about the same time fillet a snapper and skin it as a whiting and you end up with nice clean bone free fillet.   Just curious as to what is the attraction to cutlets when my imagination  points to bones and bone bits in the flesh?

Cheers

Rod

On 03/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, Rod said:

I've never done cutlets or eaten them, but personally like my fish to only have flesh, no bones or remnants of bones (apart from snapper wings).    It takes about the same time fillet a snapper and skin it as a whiting and you end up with nice clean bone free fillet.   Just curious as to what is the attraction to cutlets when my imagination  points to bones and bone bits in the flesh?

Cheers

Rod

Just another way of preparing snapper for the BBQ, pan, oven and even an AirFyer. The meat along the bones have more flavour & definitely alot more moist then a fillet. The meat just falls of the bone anyway so no issues with that or remnants. I use to do the cutlets alot previously. Eating qualities of a Snapper is overrated in my opinion. Having said that, I now do most of my snapper in a double alfoil wrap on the BBQ to keep the flesh moist which also allows you add whatever herbs/spices/condiments you like (scales on). Very easy to over cook Snapper & then the meat becomes very dry.