Carp for bait and burley?

The question of carp as bait or burley came up in the thread about Snapper fishing lessons.

So I figured I'd ask around - who's used it? and what do you reckon?

I'm at the stage where I dont leave home with out it when chasing snapper - but I havent given it a long enough trial to see if its as good as I hope it is

Here's some of Vids of the first couple of trials

Not surprising.  Get on a hot snapper bite and they'll eat anything.  We've found all manner of things in the stomachs of snapper when filleting them - leather jackets, mussel shells, sea horses, stones and gravel..... so they probably aren't as fussy as some people might think if they're hungry.

At one stage i thought🤔 it would be a good idea to try putting carp thru my mulcher to make burley (y)

Unfortunately it wasn't the smartest idea to drop an entire 64cm carp in whole as it :censored: jammed up the mechanism!

After disassembling the screen and pulling it back out, reassembling it all went thru fine AFTER i cut it in quarters with a spade!

Did produce a nice bloody burley.

Chucked a wheelbarrow load of dry prunings thru afterwards cleaned it nicely, followed by a bit of WD40.

5 hours ago, rotare said:

Not surprising.  Get on a hot snapper bite and they'll eat anything.  We've found all manner of things in the stomachs of snapper when filleting them - leather jackets, mussel shells, sea horses, stones and gravel..... so they probably aren't as fussy as some people might think if they're hungry.

Yeah the second video was shot on a very slow bight - we had squid, pilchard, red mullet, silver whiting, a king george whiting head and salted carp out.

The only 2 baits that got eaten were the king george whiting head and the salted carp.

Re snapper eating anything when they are hungry - you got that right😉

280.jpg

3 hours ago, Underpants said:

At one stage i thought🤔 it would be a good idea to try putting carp thru my mulcher to make burley (y)

Unfortunately it wasn't the smartest idea to drop an entire 64cm carp in whole as it :censored: jammed up the mechanism!

After disassembling the screen and pulling it back out, reassembling it all went thru fine AFTER i cut it in quarters with a spade!

Did produce a nice bloody burley.

Chucked a wheelbarrow load of dry prunings thru afterwards cleaned it nicely, followed by a bit of WD40.

Ha Ha - yeah I was impressed by the rich red chunks

307.jpg

I was out one evening ,and the fishing was a bit slow ,so I said to my son lets get into some chicken wings which I had cooked the day earlier , so munging on these yummy wings and chucking all bits into the water , and this is all while I was chucking out a steady stream of berley , and then we had a good bite , and ended up with 6 nice snapps before it became to rough , once home ,and unloaded and started cleaning the snapps ,the biggest one had 6 chicken wing bits in its guts , true garbage eaters ….when they are on the chew .

1 hour ago, lofty64 said:

I was out one evening ,and the fishing was a bit slow ,so I said to my son lets get into some chicken wings which I had cooked the day earlier , so munging on these yummy wings and chucking all bits into the water , and this is all while I was chucking out a steady stream of berley , and then we had a good bite , and ended up with 6 nice snapps before it became to rough , once home ,and unloaded and started cleaning the snapps ,the biggest one had 6 chicken wing bits in its guts , true garbage eaters ….when they are on the chew .

LOL... i've heard that one somewhere before !!:clap:

This video is out of Victoria!

It makes me sick to know that in Victoria, arguably the 2 most desired / targeted species in snapper and KGW, have a legal limit of 27cm at 28cm!!!!

I dont understand how you could get that excited over a 28cm pinky. A 33cm whiting will fight harder than a 28cm pinky but anyway.

I have no doubt you will catch them on Carp flesh.

As others have said above, if snapper are hungry, they will eat anything

I'm no snapper expert but have caught them on all sorts of baits; Silver whiting, tommies, KGW frames, mackeral, yacs, squid, pilchards, garfish. 

My dad is old school and his side of the boat will always be baited. i have invested in some decent tackle and on my side I use soft plastics (Zmans or gulps).

I jig and reel at times but alot of the times it's sitting in the rod holder and the waves do the rest while i tie new rigs and hooks.

In the past 4 years i can honestly say it'll be a 1:5 ratio for us. If we catch a snapper (which isn't every outing i might add), majority of the time the soft plastics will win. Only that 1 time we will catch on bait.

I might also add that the 'dropped fish' rate is also quite alarming. The soft plastics rarely foul hook or drop a fish with only 3 fish lost in 7 seasons (1 wind against tide and lost the fish at the surface due to getting hooked to the anchor rope, 1 being bit through the leader and 1 i managed to get it half way up and lost. 

Apologies if i may have hi-jacked the carp thread, just looking at it from another perspective and to knock the Victorians 😉

2 hours ago, Savage said:

This video is out of Victoria!

It makes me sick to know that in Victoria, arguably the 2 most desired / targeted species in snapper and KGW, have a legal limit of 27cm at 28cm!!!!

I dont understand how you could get that excited over a 28cm pinky. A 33cm whiting will fight harder than a 28cm pinky but anyway.

I have no doubt you will catch them on Carp flesh.

As others have said above, if snapper are hungry, they will eat anything

I'm no snapper expert but have caught them on all sorts of baits; Silver whiting, tommies, KGW frames, mackeral, yacs, squid, pilchards, garfish. 

My dad is old school and his side of the boat will always be baited. i have invested in some decent tackle and on my side I use soft plastics (Zmans or gulps).

I jig and reel at times but alot of the times it's sitting in the rod holder and the waves do the rest while i tie new rigs and hooks.

In the past 4 years i can honestly say it'll be a 1:5 ratio for us. If we catch a snapper (which isn't every outing i might add), majority of the time the soft plastics will win. Only that 1 time we will catch on bait.

I might also add that the 'dropped fish' rate is also quite alarming. The soft plastics rarely foul hook or drop a fish with only 3 fish lost in 7 seasons (1 wind against tide and lost the fish at the surface due to getting hooked to the anchor rope, 1 being bit through the leader and 1 i managed to get it half way up and lost. 

Apologies if i may have hi-jacked the carp thread, just looking at it from another perspective and to knock the Victorians 😉

great story - lots of good info there. Have you ever used carp for bait or burley?

I have only used carp for crab bait before and my usual catch rate during peak time was not met and therefore, vowed never to use it again (this was probably due to the pro's raping the area but hey 😂). 

In terms of burley, i'd like to say no however, i dont make my own and have bought the 'burley blocks' from Ray & Annes and Tackleworld.

I have some suspicion there would be traces of carp in them. 

19 hours ago, lofty64 said:

Yeah when you burley them up into a frenzy - its chomp first and ask questions later

31 minutes ago, Savage said:

I have only used carp for crab bait before and my usual catch rate during peak time was not met and therefore, vowed never to use it again (this was probably due to the pro's raping the area but hey 😂). 

In terms of burley, i'd like to say no however, i dont make my own and have bought the 'burley blocks' from Ray & Annes and Tackleworld.

I have some suspicion there would be traces of carp in them. 

Yeah those first few outings when using a new lure or bait can determine whether it becomes a favourite

13 hours ago, Del said:

Fresh and  Frozen.

Havent taken the time to salt it.. its got good skin and flesh and plenty of blood

Yeah I'll have to give fresh a go.

My problem is - I quite often get invited out the night or day before on a mates boat and I cant always get a fresh one in time.

How does the un salted carp go with being frozen - does the flesh hold up well to the freezing process.

One bonus of the salting process is there is zero waste - even if you have had a bag of the salted stuff thawed out on the bait board for hours - you just put it back in the freezer for next time - and the next time.......😉

Some blokes dont even refrigerate theirs - they just leave it in a bucket in the shade and claim it lasts for a couple of months at least. I'm not sure if I'd be game to try that. But I'm also not sure if freezing mine between trips is the best. I should probably just be putting it in the fridge

34 minutes ago, Dylbaa said:

Looking back at this thread for a third time it's got me thinking, i might whack a few slabs off the side off the next few a get and give it a go in the surf,  i have no doubt it'll have gummies and bronzies keen, it'll be interesting to try out anyway.

it will do fine

59 minutes ago, Dylbaa said:

Looking back at this thread for a third time it's got me thinking, i might whack a few slabs off the side off the next few a get and give it a go in the surf,  i have no doubt it'll have gummies and bronzies keen, it'll be interesting to try out anyway.

Yeah should be great off the beach - big tough baits and you can catch as many carp as you want for the price of a can of Edgells Super Sweet corn

258.jpg