3. Softy

Softy

4. bjorn2fish

bjorn2fish

5. Squid Inc.

Squid Inc.

• Similar Content

• By Underpants
      With all the ordinary weather we've been experienced, its been 6 weeks since i had wet a line.

Finally the weather and tides cooperated and I managed a light tackle salmon session with a couple of mates, on today's low tide.

Things were really quiet to start with, too quiet.  Were they all gorged on bloodworms?

Then uncannily........ literally as if one had pressed a button they were 'on' .

There were surface bust-ups all around us and the three of us didn't quite know where to cast. Any direction, any lure was smashed.The fish were not of any spectacular size, curiously all around the 26-32cm range but they were fun, feisty and super aggressive! No idea what they were feeding on?

Beautiful clear, calm day in the water and some good clean fun. Would have easily landed 30+ of this size. Tried bait for nothing noteworthy and no squid about.

Just took home a feed.

News to me that Hornes have released a new 'wetsuit' range ........

Every time he slips on the waders he goes for a swim!!!!
    • By Underpants
      I quick report and a few techniques. Nothing fancy but thought I'd just get this comp rolling.......

Had a call from my chief fishing buddy yesterday that he'd just bagged out squiding his local metro wading spot. Same as this time last year, where he recons they must have been spawning, were there 2 days and then gone. With conditions still favorable and hoping that '2nd day' was today,  I decided to check out his home grounds.

Water was lovely and clear and warm enough to leave the wetsuit behind. I was expecting wind to drop as it changed direction. Things were looking pretty good. A short wade out to the appropriate structure with a little 1.8 Yozuri. After a half dozen or so casts I hooked and bagged a little bait sized squid and took this for a good omen, with the session just commencing. Alas it was not to be. Walking all over the rocks and flicking everywhere yielded nothing.

Whilst deciding that it was time to give up and head in, i spotted a school well within casting range, of course with my jig way out in the opposite direction! In the short time i was able to re-cast the school had gone out of visual range so i worked the area around where i last saw them. Gone! Finally i hooked a decent sized one, pulling line with each surge. Quickly worked into the net, dispatched & bagged.

Unfortunately that was it so i called it a session. Not quite enough for Xmas stuffed squid ! http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/26369-grilled-stuffed-squid/

Wading is my favorite style of fishing and can readily apply to squid. Clear waters and low current/tidal movements work really well and enable a real visual element to fishing, one of the major joys of wading!. I prefer around the low tide and immediately after, also when one can readily wade to more suitable areas. Basically anywhere there is seagrass or weedy reef works: Just past the 'blue line' around Yorkes, reefy stuff around Marino and further south........pretty well all over the place!

I don't usually specifically target squid whilst wading, instead wait until i see them following a SP or HB intended for something else. Being inquisitive creatures, they regularly oblige. Then its a quick changeover to a suitable jig, flick over and thru the area where the squid was last seen with fairly standard lift & drop retrieve. If they are still around they can be pretty quick and easy to find.

With the super light tackle and skinny waters, I opt for small 1.8 & 2 sized jigs with nothing too lairy. Anything bigger sinks too quicky and can easily spook your target. You often need to let squid run for a while with this style of squidding so back the drag off a little, this way potential squid can 'take' the jig rather than drop it straight away. If they do drop the jig you may not get another shot .

Once hooked, retrieve slow & steadily, letting the rod take the squid's surges, slip a net in behind while still in the water and hopefully aim that inky goo elsewhere ! I like to humanly kill straight away by squeezing the head prior to placing in the catch bag. Careful though, squid can bite quite well so hold from the tube and squeeze the head from behind with thumb & index finger. You will know you have done it correctly when there is an instant loss of the squid colours, to white.

Its worth while getting straight back out in the same area where the last one was caught as squid generally occur in schools. Sometimes it may be 1 or 3, other times i have had 4 in the net before dispatching the first !

I love eating squid but it's a can be a tedious pain to prepare. I adore salt & pepper squid, with a double coating of egg white/seasoned corn flour prior to deep frying . Otherwise stuffed squid (above link) is a fave. If im being 'lazy'  a simply crosshatching, light flouring and onto the BBQ grill with sweet chilli sauce & .