Upgrading hooks and rings

Screenshot_2018-11-04-18-26-43.jpeg.49963e983c96386077fa1ab121d0cec9.jpeg

Owner st36 after one damn fishScreenshot_2018-11-04-18-26-24.jpeg.22132b2a9c50cb2613188d666762aecc.jpeg

Stock split ring on a jackle lure after maybe a dozen fish.  Screenshot_2018-11-04-18-26-43.jpeg.49963e983c96386077fa1ab121d0cec9.jpeg

I've been using Owner 36 stbc for a while as upgrade/replacement hooks. But I'm still bending then out. I need a replacement which isn't muchworking heavier but just a slightly thicker gauge. As similar as possible without the bending really

Similarly ive, been using stock rings and they sometimes hold sometimes.... well...don't. No idea what split rings people upgrade to for light lures but any advice would be appreciated. 

Photos are of damage from one day session this weekend. 

Any advice on further upgrading hooks and rings would be much appreciated 

Cheers

3 hours ago, brenton said:

How much hurt are you putting on these fish because St 36ers are most peoples goto,if you need more perhaps singles are your solution.

cheers b

^^^ this was my 2nd thought.

My 1st was $HITBALLS! Those terminals copped a hiding!!

Hmmm thats weird. They were our biggest selling trebles at my old work and have never seen anything like that before.

Bkk trebles are pretty good to for the price. Super sharp and seem well made and constructed. I believe the Nomad guys use them in Qld for all there big species with no dramas.

5 hours ago, brenton said:

How much hurt are you putting on these fish because St 36ers are most peoples goto,if you need more perhaps singles are your solution.

cheers b

Not enough hurt imo. I'm running 8ft of 20lb leader on one setup and 15lb on the other, with a 3-6kg and a 2-4kg rod respectively. I'm also using a kayak mainly so you'd think that'd reduce the hurt but not so much. I think the issue is mainly coming from the strike, which is extremely savage as I'm trolling for relatively big fish. Secondly the head shakes they throw around can be pretty harsh. Although imo none of this should make it happen but it just keeps going on.

Although I've changed to singles on lures like double clutches and metals, I'd rather the trebles in this case as they increase the hook up rate with swipes and territorial attacks. 

1 hour ago, Territory Lad said:

^^^ this was my 2nd thought.

My 1st was $HITBALLS! Those terminals copped a hiding!!

Haha yeah mate they do. That was my reaction originally but it keeps happening and frankly, although it is proof of a good day, I'd rather not have to keep upgrading and then subsequently replacing stuff.  

41 minutes ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Hmmm thats weird. They were our biggest selling trebles at my old work and have never seen anything like that before.

Bkk trebles are pretty good to for the price. Super sharp and seem well made and constructed. I believe the Nomad guys use them in Qld for all there big species with no dramas.

I'll have a look into BKK Southie, cheers mate. I've gone through most of my first packet now and the front treble is the one that cops it most, so really 1 heavier treble on the front may not hurt. 

Edit: After a bit of research today, I've noticed the Jackal do a 'hank tune' on some lures where they add a heavy front treble for fish like Barramundi and such. Definitely worth a shot.

I'll have a look into BKK Southie, cheers mate. I've gone through most of my first packet now and the front treble is the one that cops it most, so really 1 heavier treble on the front may not hurt. 
It shouldn't affect it tooo much. Id just buy 1 pack and give it a try if it doesn't work out you've only outlaid 10 buxs and can use them for other lures.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Territory Lad said:

@AquaticResearch1 heavier middle trebel isnt the worst idea. Ive seen Jack fisherman do this and works seems to work fine. Not sure what lure your using or fish your targeting, but it might be worth a shot.

Cheers mate, I mainly use Jack lures for them so it is good to hear that happens up north. My two best lures have been recommended by Jack fishos for Jack fishos so could definitely pay off. 

I rarely use hard bodied lures these days but I used to use them flat out for bream - towards the end of that era I was beginning to become dissatisfied with Owner st36ers - and that was on 6 to 8lb leaders. Too many bent and snapped trebs for my liking. I had a suspicion that quality control had dropped or the last few packs I'd bought were from a dud batch.

Then I got a batch of lures that had BKK trebs on them and I remember being very impressed with those. But this was a long time ago and I didnt test them with scales like I would these days.

I've got a mate who is still an avid HB user and he doesnt buy owners any more - he's completely switched all his trebs to BKK. If you give them a crack, just make sure you dont accidentally buy the fine wire version, They're similar to the ultra light owner st-11 ul