Heavy Surf Rod

Hi all, 

Need some advice from some fellow fishers. I've just started fishing Goolwa beach and need a heavier surf Rod to chuck decent sinkers and baits that hold. 

I've got one combo that does the job, but want another so I can have two baits in the water. 

Both rods will be in holders, so just wondering what is heavy enough for that part of the coast? 

TIA, Wibbly

This might be old news but I'm going to risk it. I cant help with the rod but......

Once you get your new rod -  there are ways to get your baits out a little further and make them hold.

These Sputnik Sinkers act like an anchor in the sand - a sharp tug will trip the wires and make them point backwards so your sinker slides out.

You can also make you current sinkers a bit more grippy with some screws

sput.JPG

sput 3

1 hour ago, yellow door 1 said:

This might be old news but I'm going to risk it. I cant help with the rod but......

Once you get your new rod -  there are ways to get your baits out a little further and make them hold.

These Sputnik Sinkers act like an anchor in the sand - a sharp tug will trip the wires and make them point backwards so your sinker slides out.

You can also make you current sinkers a bit more grippy with some screws

sput.JPG

sput 3

Thanks Yellow, 

I'll be slide baiting with grapnels. 

The Penn Prevail and Penn allegence in the 12ft 12-20kg models are a great surf rod for under $200.

I have the allegence myself and have no issues with it. Have up to 200g cast weight aswell.

They were the biggest selling surf rod in the tackle shop I was working at.

Wilson mt8144 would be a nice stick aswell.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, southie THE BANGA said:

The Penn Prevail and Penn allegence in the 12ft 12-20kg models are a great surf rod for under $200.

I have the allegence myself and have no issues with it. Have up to 200g cast weight aswell.

They were the biggest selling surf rod in the tackle shop I was working at.

Wilson mt8144 would be a nice stick aswell.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks. It seems a lot of common rods their cast weight at 200 grams. I  worried that I need to use heavier weights to hold down there.

The Penn allegience would be my pick mate, should cast a mile from the feel of them.

200gram will be more than enough aswell,  i use either 4 or 6 oz. If its real bad i have higher tensile wire on some of my 6oz sinkers, its more about the wire being rigid enough so it doesnt straightenin with the current

On 26/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, wibbly said:

Thanks Yellow, 

I'll be slide baiting with grapnels. 

For normal bait applications a 6oz grapnel and clip down rigs are perfect, but for slide baiting you often need more weight. Depending a bit on what sort of baits you'll be using using an 8 or even 10oz sinker is more common because of the way you need to work the rod to get the bait to slide all the way out. If you're using a sliding clip for livebait then you might be able to get away with 6oz.

The Penn rods mentioned above are good heavier surf rods, but may not handle those bigger sinkers well.

What are you chasing and what sort of baits do you plan to use?

On 27/11/2018 at 5:34 PM, plankton said:

For normal bait applications a 6oz grapnel and clip down rigs are perfect, but for slide baiting you often need more weight. Depending a bit on what sort of baits you'll be using using an 8 or even 10oz sinker is more common because of the way you need to work the rod to get the bait to slide all the way out. If you're using a sliding clip for livebait then you might be able to get away with 6oz.

The Penn rods mentioned above are good heavier surf rods, but may not handle those bigger sinkers well.

What are you chasing and what sort of baits do you plan to use?

Mulloway and Gummies. Dead baits either squid heads or whole fish (pillies, tommies etc.)