Sign in to follow this  
newtontoney

Kayak sounder

Hi guys , im thinking of getting a Lowrance hook 2 4x sounder (first sounder iv ever purchased),  for my kayak , but am open to other suggestions . looking to spend maximum 800 bucks for complete sounder set up  , and looking to get the best bang for my buck :)   Id like it to be good quality viewing  but  no need for a million different settings , id like it to be easy to use . Suggestions welcome . As i say just getting an idea about whats on offer at mo . cheers 

I run a Garmin Echomap 45DV on mine and it’s an awesome little unit. I paid close to $500 for mine and I highly recommend checking it out for its highly detailed maps, sonar plus down/structure scan. 

For your rough budget of $800 you can definitely get a good sounder for that. 

The Hook 2 4X is a basic unit that still gives you sonar and maps. But it’s at the lower end of the features scale. I would invest money in a slightly higher class of sounder than the Hook 2 as it’ll mean higher quality target separation and a more accurate representation of what you’re seeing on the display screen.

For a comparable price point to the Hook 4x, another sounder to look at is the Garmin Striker 4 Plus; it has maps and sonar but higher quality for a fraction more in price.

if you have one of the larger yaks i would go for the garmin elite 7" sidescan etc excellent unit have one on the front of the bream boat & the garmin 9" (touchscreen) echomap on the console. bcf have specials every so often on the 7" of which they are nearly as cheap as u can get online might be worth waiting for? I have used sidescan sounders now for 12 years & these garmin have done their homework & are much better than the older units i used in the past & easy to operate. the photos are from the 9" & are of a wreck a steamer sunk in the murray river but gives you an idea of the clarity & definition you get plus heaps of screen options.

20180424_131536.jpg

20180424_131518.jpg