Whats you Favourite scaling tool for fish over 3kg?

2 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah I've always been a skinner - but I want to see how the skin reacts to hot oil in the pan

Absolutely beautiful snapper skin into a hot pan with some turmeric and sweet paprika rubbed into it. Forums an awesome crust which  doesn't overpower the fish itself. Best I had was a smaller fillet from a ~ 40cm fish into butter just before it'd burn, and wow, perfect. 

13 hours ago, AquaticResearch1 said:

Absolutely beautiful snapper skin into a hot pan with some turmeric and sweet paprika rubbed into it. Forums an awesome crust which  doesn't overpower the fish itself. Best I had was a smaller fillet from a ~ 40cm fish into butter just before it'd burn, and wow, perfect. 

Yeah I like the sound of that

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, yellow door 1 said:

I purchased a couple of these a few months back. They do work really well & decent quality. Great on Mulloway & Snapper. But like I said, I usually skin the larger fish with scales on or cook on BBQ with scales on & then just peel the skin off with the scales. Just like different gadgets to play with now & then!!!.

Yeah with the Jewies I tend to fillet on the spot - skin when I get home - and freeze what I cant use in the next couple of days.

But I only kill the odd one that doesnt swim off after attempts to revive - the Yarra isnt the most pristine river to eat apex predators from😉

But if they are going to die - they dont go to waste - they still taste great but the Government suggests you only eat a max of 400g of fish from Melbourne rivers a week.

683.jpg

673.jpg

21 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah with the Jewies I tend to fillet on the spot - skin when I get home - and freeze what I cant use in the next couple of days.

But I only kill the odd one that doesnt swim off after attempts to revive - the Yarra isnt the most pristine river to eat apex predators from😉

But if they are going to die - they dont go to waste - they still taste great but the Government suggests you only eat a max of 400g of fish from Melbourne rivers a week.

683.jpg

673.jpg

Serious mulloway, what's the legal size there?

I'm not a big freezer of fish but when I do, I try to vacuum seal it where possible. How well does it keep like that? 

Yeah I'm not really set up for keeping large quantities of fish - it holds up ok in the freezer bags but I tend to give away excess on the odd occasion I have to keep a big fella. So it gets used pretty quick (its only happened twice when I couldnt revive the fish)

The one in the photo was 1m long on the dot - but legal size is 60cm and you can keep 5 of them in Vic