I have found that the size of mature specimens can vary a lot by location. so ideal hook size may vary but what determines hook size for me is what I'm fishing for. For YFW I use hook size of 6-8 so if the nippers are small it would be better to use an 8 and if they are larger a 6. they can be tricky to put on a hook especially if they are small they almost disintegrate when you put the hook through them. I go through the back of the tail and out through the front so they are still alive. from what I've read they are a premium bait that almost any fish would take. I've caught a garfish on a nipper before

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2019 at 10:48 PM, Elecmuso said:

Thanks fellas. Collected 20 this arvo. Was going to try them in the morning. Are there any suitable land based spots on the coffin Bay township side of the bay? Haven't seen a sole fishing off the shore. 

Can you let me know where you got them? PM if you want. I haven't found any yet. Are you still in Coffins?

If you want to keep them lively-ish - (they are never particularly lively with a hook in them) - have the hook point exit before the head.

But I used to run the hook all the way through and exit in the head like this lure photo - My thought being it it was slight tougher shell in the head and they would stay on the hook a bit better

750.jpg

749.jpg

No worries - And heres a vid by a professional bait collector, on trouble shooting pump problems and how to make a replacement plunger out of silicone and old gumboots - He talks about dings in the metal tubing - bent plunger rods - and lubing your pump every 15-20 pumps with vegetable oil