Snyder Glas FT 4120 vs FSU 4120...same blank?

Hi,

Can anyone inform me of the difference (if any) between the rod blanks specified with prefixes "FT" and "FSU" in the old Snyder Glas system? I know "FT"=Fast Taper and "SU"= "Surf Utility", but am wondering if there is actually any difference in the blanks themselves? I really enjoyed the old FT I parted with decades ago and am wondering if an FSU is the same stick?

Thanks

pretty much all the rod building/blank makers have had ago at this. Because it was such a popular rod /blank FT120 4w (4 wraps of fibreglass) & later the FT120 5 (5 wraps of fibreglass) there were also some graphites made (i think were actually composites) i owned one of these for a few years, good  rods for there day. Back thru the 1970's 1980's butterworth i pretty sure were the first to bring out these fast tapers then rumors were it was sold on to snyder glass & from there just spread to china. wilson & juro still make rods from these blanks last time i looked 

I could not see any difference in the blanks or rods FT/FSU (i was in fishing retail thru 1970s up to 2009)  in these models other than different manufacturers cosmetics placement of winches etc.  there were some fluro models 1980s (fluro yellow, orange, blue, green etc) brought out at one stage did'nt last long tho.

Thanks, Projoe. My rod may even have been a Butterworth blank as I had it custom-made in SA in the early-mid 1980's. with an extra-high winch mount (I have long arms). It was marvellous for belting out "Wonder Pilchards" for salmon and poling them ashore. I cannot even recall the rod-builder now. I wish I had never parted with it.

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2019 at 1:00 PM, projoe said:

I could not see any difference in the blanks or rods FT/FSU (i was in fishing retail thru 1970s up to 2009)  in these models other than different manufacturers cosmetics placement of winches etc.  there were some fluro models 1980s (fluro yellow, orange, blue, green etc) brought out at one stage did'nt last long tho.

I remember them, here is a clip on you tube of a guy using one to catch a huge mully,I would love to get my hands on one  of those fluro ones.

Ha! Are these things worth anything these days? I still have a near mint Butterworth OH 4120 (spent most of its life sitting on the wharfs of Port Adelaide waiting for mullies) - from memory, it was one of the last made in Australia. Might have been mid to late 80's. And I think its a composite (black blank). It is lying next to one of my all time favorite rods from my early fishing career - a snyder glass Mag Bream - which looks antiquated and pre-historic compared to the rods in the rack these days.

Sorry - none of this answers the question however.

Hi All, 

I picked up a 4120 and a 5120 from "GumTree" after posting my query  here and getting some answers.

Yes, the old glass ones are worth money....there is a FaceBook group called "Snyder Glass Fishermen Australia" (or somesuch) where folk trade these rods and rebuild them (or just appreciate and use them).  There is another one called "Alvey Anglers Australia" where the old blanks are also traded. The trouble is  the cost of freight interstate. where most buyers (like me) reside.

Thanks

Sorry a little  off of the above said rods and blanks , but on the subject , I have a 13ft surf rod made by Len Butterworth ( not for Len Butterworth ) .

I have had this rod for 30 years ,and was 1 piece ,but had it made into a 2 piece ,as it is 13ft long ,and hard to travel in a normal car ,without roof racks.

It is a 13ft , 2 piece Powergraph   SS5156G . Surf rod .

Just wondering if they still hold value , if anyone is in the know ?

cheers .