Small Daiwa spin reels Vs Shimano?

I'm considering purchasing a BG as my first Diawa reel, to replace my clunky Shimano Symetre 1000 on my light 1-3kg spin setup.

I'm looking at the BG as it has a good rep and is currently going for $155 & $159. I understand it's Al construction will make it a bit heavier than composite reels.

I have found the Shimano 1000 size just a tad small, being cumbersome at times, for my 'man hands’. I find their 2500 oversized for the 1-3kg rod - unnecessary capacity and out of balance.

Any advice on how Daiwa's 2000&2500s compare with Shimano 1000/2500, size wise?

Will probably 'try one on' tomorrow. Just need to purchase online to use PayPal and 'slip beneath the radar' 😁.

I have a BG 2500 and cannot fault it. Great drag, doesn't flex. I'd consider getting a smaller one as well but have 2 stradics, a 1000 and 3000. They are really good as well but the BG has less (read no) flex albeit heavier. I got it for smaller stuff like tommies, ST and gar but found it was a bit to heavy with 8lb braid. Swapped over to 20 lb braid and is my go to with a 9 ft rod for casting lures at salmon. Has no problems with up to 10 lb fish. Considering the price I will replace all my smaller spinners with BG's when the time comes.

Have a bg and a symetre fj, love both but completely different reels.

Bg is  a powerful, fast work horse but doesn't have the lightness I like on my 2-4 kg or less rods. Smallest bg I would buy is the 3000 as a coorong mulloway reel, but I use the aird and such in smaller sizes still (Not in the league of the symetre after heavy use imo)

If I were looking for a new flats reel for my 1-3kg to replace my symetre, I'd be looking at the exceler or legalis lt reels in a 2000, or a stradic if I could justify it.

A mate has the legalis lt and thus far I can't fault it, very nice reel but hasn't copped a dunking yet anyway. 

30 minutes ago, SurfcaztR said:

I have the 4000 for Coorong mulloway,they come in various sizes.Plenty to choose from on ebay.much lighter than BG

https://www.ottostackleworld.com.au/daiwa-fuego-lt-spinning-fishing-reels-2018

Daiwa_Fuego_Spin_Reel.jpg

Looks like a BG with a carbon fibre body. If it is it will be good. And magseal. Which you don't need if your reels don't get wet.

I run a Daiwa freams 3000 and a Daiwa BG 3000 on identical rods for Jewies - I run different lures on each so I can quickly cover a spot and move to the next - there is a noticeable difference in the weight when you switch between the out fits. So much so that I weighed them 😉 -

Its not a huge deal and I normally only notice it when I'm cracking the sooks after a few dud spots - but the difference is real

As long as you dont run it side by side with another lighter reel - you might not notice the weight gain.

746.jpg

747.jpg

Good stuff love it ,  Theory and proof  of rods and reels , but with all this stuff is there any fish …..?    

Its great to have everything in line and know what to use and what not to use .

Great stuff and all is good ……..but fish pictures is better than ...TESTING .

Throw some pictures of fish ,after testing , be cool as cheers 

1 hour ago, lofty64 said:

Good stuff love it ,  Theory and proof  of rods and reels , but with all this stuff is there any fish …..?    

Here you go mate - the BG handled him no worries

739.jpg

1 hour ago, lofty64 said:

Thing is lofty, I could show you a picture of a massive x fish on a certain reel, yet still Not rate it as highly as another reel I've used purely based on user friendliness and a certain level of luck being needed to land a decent fish.

I've just had a quick scroll through my phone gallery, was going to upload photos but it is a bit much work... any way. 

BG

8kg snapper + others

75cm snook

25lb murray cod + others

Surf salmon to 45 cm and trolled fish to 8lb 

Big Callop

Aird

Mulloway to 80 something cm + many many more

Big redfin plus many more

Big carp

52cm Waitpinga salmon

Rainbow trout

KG whiting to 50ish cm

Many cast salmon to 52cm

Bream to 42cm

Seido 

Big carp galore

Heaps of school Mulloway to 70cm

Redfin big and small

Big 3lb plus rainbow trout

Kg whiting and pan snapper 

Symetre 

Lots of yellowfin whiting including 40 + cm fish

Big carp to 3ft long

Rainbow trout to 6lb

Redfin 

Bream to 35cm 

Now all those reels have caught good fish, but I would recommend the symetre ahead of the Aird and seido purely as it is just as  capable and has been a finer reel to use, and hence has been used in more finesse applications. The BG by contrast is a beast of a reel in its' build, but that's why I tend to use it on bigger targets even if it isn't that much larger than the others. It just isn't as good to use and I don't need that full aluminum construction etc etc on fish that I Chase on flick sticks; just as I don't think underpants will by his description.

Bloody long type up but I hope I got the message across.  

Check out the Aird X range 11 ball bearing and for the price ($104 - $118) are great value I have 2 @2500 1@3000 and 1@4000 of these reels and love em. The 4000 has caught tuna no issues the 3000 snapper and mulloway up to around the metre size and the 2500's are my whiting, bream reels.

I also have 3 BG's a 4000, 4500, and a 5000 which are on my heavier tuna outfits and all of them have caught tuna up to 33kg and Ive found them faultless. I got the 5000 for $95 delivered from USA I got lucky one day looking at amazon and couldnt believe the price so I bought it and havent looked back since buying the others locally because I think for the money again you cant go past them. Why buy a Saltist which is more than twice the price when you are basically getting the same reel in a BG

Now I own some higher end reels but hate spending money when I dont have too so thats why these 2 models have turned my crank, I cant see the point of spending big bucks when you can get great smooth well made reels for more than half the price.

Now I admit Im a Daiwa man but I also know that Shimano make great reels too its just a holden/ford thing once you love one brand you tend to stick to it but whatever brand you buy dont be fooled into thinking you have to spend mega bucks to get get a reel that works well and does the job with no issues, isnt that really what we all want.

cheers

snapps

I would personally look at the Daiwa LT range of Reels. for around that $150 price point you can get an Daiwa Exceler LT. Nice and smooth, light, look good and have nice drag systems on them. I mainly have higher end gear now.  I lost the drag knob while out fishing a few weeks ago while up yorkes. so i needed a reel to get me by Picked up the exceler i was quite impressed by it. 

At the end of the day it is what feels comfortable and right for you. everybody is different and like different things best to try out a whole range of reels on your rod as Bratko mentioned and see what feels good. 

Well here's all my light weight trout reels that I use on my Daiwa Presso ULS 1-3kg rods 6' & 6'6'' & Okuma Celilo ULS 1-3kg 6'6'' & 6' rods.

Well balanced set ups, reels all filled with a .18 4lb clear mono line.. Very happy with them..

2134551240_3-Daiwa.s-l225.jpg.dbd0dea88425c5478db801e6fa3e4d83.jpg

Daiwa Ageas 2004H also have a MX2004H Gekkabijin reel which is much the same as the Ageas

802910184_3-DaiwaCrest2004Hspinningreel.jpg.0dcdbb7ee8d0f36ae52b1eb911d3bece.jpg

This little Crest reel is set up on a Daiwa presso 5'6'' rod for trout fishing small tight creeks & streams

292554187_3-DaiwaExceler2000H.jpg.e76ba6dd5a74ad6e8846785e12faa555.jpg1442757264_3-DaiwaImpri1503(Medium).JPG.e62fe239448f46287cfe20bb9b04aa97.JPG1645711207_3-DaiwaRevros.jpg.7a6efc225317300bc1e641028852728e.jpg

Daiwa Revros 1003 & I also have two 2004H ones.

1553998606_OkumaCeymayC-10.jpg.e4b9bc58901924c3f52c17f47e4ef106.jpg

Okuma Ceymar C-10 (small reel)

1134739874_OkumaHeliosSX20spinningreelMeppslure.(Medium).JPG.8159dc4eb3b019fb96cc51ab227f4204.JPG

Okuma Helios SX20

cheers

Adrian

Thanks for the input folks.

Had a feeling Kuerschie might have been working today so dropped in for a chin-wag and have a play few a few reels. Helped that my son was fast asleep in the car (all windows down and he's 6 so well capable of getting out!) so i could actually focus on the importand reel hardware.

Hands-on is certainly the best approach and pretty easy choice of a Daiwa LT model in 2000. Roughly between a Shimano 1000 & 2500, which was what i need. 

Just need to decide between a Freams LT or Fuego LT....🤔? Doesn't help that Fuego isn't on Daiwa Australia for comparison :angry:!

29 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Just need to decide between a Freams LT or Fuego LT....🤔? Doesn't help that Fuego isn't on Daiwa Australia for comparison :angry:!

Dunno, appears  that Fuego LT may be a Tackle World exclusive with Daiwa? Still cant tell the difference tho!! Freams LT 2000 $183 (BCF online coz they dont stock it locally!?) or Fuego LT 2000 $169 (also online as Tackleworld Adelaide don't stock it 🙄)

To be superficial....as much as i don't like red...... the black and red Fuego looks way sexxxxier:wub: than the gold and silver Freams :P!!!

20 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Dunno, appears  that Fuego LT may be a Tackle World exclusive with Daiwa? Still cant tell the difference tho!! Freams LT 2000 $183 (BCF online coz they dont stock it locally!?) or Fuego LT 2000 $169 (also online as Tackleworld Adelaide don't stock it 🙄) 

I feel your pain....stores in this town often don't stock what we want. No wonder online shopping is taking over.

Cant comment on the new model Fuego but have previously had 2 earlier models in 1000 and 1500 sizes. Very light sound and smooth reels to use. Only moved them on to upgrade. The rod that you have will determine which reel balances the best/is most comfortable. I have a 1-3kg Nitro rod that I had hoped to use a 1000 reel on but it turned out that a 2004 was a better match for it particularly when casting. Good luck with your choice. Regards HBt.

• 2 weeks later...

Daiwa Freams LT 2000S.

Kuerschie ran me thru a range of reels and i was able to have a play with the Freams LT 3000 (marginally heavier) and an Aird 2000 (same size). The Daiwa 2000 fitted right in the size i wanted, between a Shimano 1000-2500. The LT nice and light for balance but still seems solid.

Not held locally so purchased online, at 20% off and free postage. Would had to of gone to Tackle World as well to try the Fuego 3000 and still have to buy the 2000 online anyway!

Setup below, Just need to load up the spool and break in properly. (HB may recognise the rod)

IMG_20190212_094522050.jpg.6b8a07aee2198b8cafbfdcda3bc08037.jpg

WTF is the go with  Daiwa's instructions? Is it just me or are they usually supplied in Japanese only!? Everything on the box is English but the instructions:censored: arnt !

IMG_20190212_094716444.jpg.897d624559b9276b8ddf7e93f82e6909.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 24/01/2019 at 2:51 PM, SurfcaztR said:

I have the 4000 for Coorong mulloway,they come in various sizes.Plenty to choose from on ebay.much lighter than BG

https://www.ottostackleworld.com.au/daiwa-fuego-lt-spinning-fishing-reels-2018

Daiwa_Fuego_Spin_Reel.jpg

How's the Fuego holding up after another 6 months?

Had a play with one today and they are very light for a given size. Would mean I'm able to get away with a 2500 deep spool on a rod I'd previously have to fish are far smaller reel. 

Has me tempted for sure. 

7 minutes ago, AquaticResearch1 said:

How's the Fuego holding up after another 6 months?

Had a play with one today and they are very light for a given size. Would mean I'm able to get away with a 2500 deep spool on a rod I'd previously have to fish are far smaller reel. 

Has me tempted for sure. 

Only used it for a short time and gave it to my son,as i had plenty of different reels to choose from.The reel showed no issues as one would expect.I did pick up a new 3000 Fuego but that is for sale now as i have swung over to low profile bait casters just for a change.

have had a daiwa excellor for so many years now that i cant remember when i bought it... has certainly earned its money many times over. 

I also have some small shimano reels.. sol 3000 being my favourite of them. 

Im happy with both..   but im probably not as dedicated any longer to my fishing as most on here