Northbank 750HT Info

Hi All,

New to this forum, chasing some info about Northbank boats here in SA and typically all the reviews of the Northbank 750HT are heavily marketed pushing towards all the bells and whistles. Im after the raw info about them.

Thinking of upgrading our current boat to a Northbank 750HT, Volkswagen TDI 265 -6 with Mercury Bravo II.

Does anyone have any info regarding Nothbank boats. Quality, stability, performance, pros/cons, value for money, etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Christien

G'day Christien

We had a Northbank 600C for a couple of years.  My impressions were good, well built, good layout, the finish perhaps not as schmick as some but good.  Like other BMT packages the trailer capacity is pushing reality, though ours had a 3 tonne trailer rather than the usual 2t.  I think the 600C is similar to other popular boats in the 6m range like the seafarer victory, very similar specs including weight.  You'll notice some of the cheaper glass boats get the price down with less weight, but the Northbanks seem to be in a good slot in that regard.  I liked the high sides, the 750 has very high sides at over a metre from memory.  Some stand up game fishers don't like that much.  One 750ht that sold went interstate and a couple of years later came back on the market and they had put a raised floor in the back, horrible, but demonstrates the point.  A self draining deck would be a great standard for the 750.  The only thing I didn't like was the floor, fixed carpet in the middle and slippery gelcoat either side, arggghh.  Particularly tuna fishing, a nightmare.  I fixed the slip hazard with heronaire tube matting, but that wasn't great either.  when I cleaned the boat with a pressure washer the matting would re direct the blood and guts sideways in to the side pockets.   Other manufacturers can make a non slip long lasting fibreglass finish (at least one anyway) that is easy to clean so I don't understand why Northbank continue down the same old path.   If I had my time again I would rip out the carpet and get the whole floor refinished with a non slip additive (microbeads or something) or maybe seadeck or similar.  I hate carpet in boats, though I understand why ali boat owners go that way to reduce heat and glare, but when I've had it in previous boats at least it was removable.

I've never been in a 750ht except while its still on a trailer, but did consider buying one, in the end there wasn't a secondhand one available.    The 750 came out after Clayton Marine closed down and I figured they saw a gap in the market where the Gallant 7.4 had been.  The huge unclutered fishing area is enough to give any fisherman's or fisherwomens heart a flutter 🙂 With a stern drive diesel economy would be great, but servicing can be tedious so they tell me. 

Overall,  great local brand with the 750HT a worthy flagship.  

All in my opinion

Cheers
Rod

Hi Rod,

Thankyou for the reply. 

Initially when my farther and i drove to see the boat, he jumped into a 600c in the showroom and fell in love with it almost instantly though it came down to sheer size that we were looking for is why we are looking at the 750ht. The build quality visually is amazing for us especially as our boat in comparison is a 32 year old boat that's been in the family for 30 years . 

Our boat has had its course of repairs / new motor along the way, served us very well and we've never been stuck out at sea or needed a tow. Getting to the point where the family is outgrowing it and we are trying to find something like it reliability wise as the bells and whistles will come anyway by the next boat just being a much newer boat.

We fish down South at Cape Jervis 90% of the time and there is nothing more you could ask for in a boat than being reliable with the temperamental waters we have there. Most likely the reason Cape Jervis homes multiple Clayton Gallants.

We were also looking at the Witchcraft 7.5 though it is quite a bit more expensive for an older boat and doesn't seem to be internally finished as well as the Northbank though it's advantage was the midmount motor and self draining deck. Reminds me of the Clayton Gallants of that time.

Its always fantastic and greatly appreciated to have first hand experience, by the sounds of it, we are on the right track by going with the Northbank 750ht.

Might see you on the water.

Cheers
Christien

G'day Christien

Just had a look at the witch craft, I've seen one of those recently and thought it was a gallant but different hard top layout to those I've seen.   Now I know better.  The Northbank seems a better buy and appropriately priced imo. 

I understand why your dad fell in love with the 600c, nice chunky boat with low centre of gravity, not like the 80's boats with the low transom etc.    As advertised they are hard turning, you can pretty much go full throttle and full lock, first time I went in one the owner did this, I actually felt the g forces, much harder than I would ever turn but impressive.  We were doing some filming.   Not possible in our cat though, but we can go a lot faster and much more comfortable in a straight line 🙂  

Good luck

Cheers

Rod

Cheers Rod.

Might have missed out on the Northbank.

Managed to get a hold of the number of the boat owner and gave him a call. Negotiated a price and ready to send the deposit over. The owner called his mate to double check as its some joint thing and advised that another guy from Sydney was coming down to Adelaide the next day to have a look, this was yesterday. Dont know if the boat ended up selling or fell through. 

That Caribbean is a nice rig, we are particularly looking for I/O or Inboard shaft drive. 

That is an absolute beast. 2.8m beam and 3.8T loaded.

Would be great down at the Cape. Probably need to invest in a tractor. 

Not to sure about the hours on the motor though. 

Might have to go and check it out and get a better idea of condition, most of the time photos can cover up a lot of issues. 

Cheers for keeping an eye out mate, we did end up missing out on the Northbank. 

Cheers,

Christien

Oh well, onward and upward 🙂

I like to keep an eye out on whats for sale, just an interest no plans to change myself.  Yeah 3.8 tonne is pushing it with a regular 4wd, the big landcruisers would be ok if you have one, they can be upgrade around 4 and with a tare weight around 2.7t would be good.   A 4wd truck I've heard is another option.  2000 hours I don't think is much for a diesel, but may trigger some major service I guess.   Pretty easy to clock up the hours when you have a truly offshore capable boat.   Marco builds a very good boat I believe (and found out where their limit is 🤔)

Guessing but I reckon that boat would have been pushing $250K new.  Limited market in that size, but as you say though, great for the cape.

The hunt continues, good luck 🙂

Cheers

Rod

Bummer missing out on the Northbank there has been one fishing the same patch as me the past few weeks out wide on the tuna and I look on it with great envy it had a 300 yammie on the back and it was one hell of a nice fishing machine. I have returned the same time as him a couple of times and it was a quick boat in tough conditions and my boat is no slouch but I struggled to keep up with it and gave up trying 😂😂😂

Good luck with your search for your boat

cheers

snapps

On 16/02/2019 at 1:16 PM, Rod said:

Oh well, onward and upward 🙂

I like to keep an eye out on whats for sale, just an interest no plans to change myself.  Yeah 3.8 tonne is pushing it with a regular 4wd, the big landcruisers would be ok if you have one, they can be upgrade around 4 and with a tare weight around 2.7t would be good.   A 4wd truck I've heard is another option.  2000 hours I don't think is much for a diesel, but may trigger some major service I guess.   Pretty easy to clock up the hours when you have a truly offshore capable boat.   Marco builds a very good boat I believe (and found out where their limit is 🤔)

Guessing but I reckon that boat would have been pushing $250K new.  Limited market in that size, but as you say though, great for the cape.

The hunt continues, good luck 🙂

Cheers

Rod

Thats it Rod, now its just a massive waiting game. 👍
Too much hassle with the Nautic Star i think. Oversize signs front and back and flags on each corner to tow, restrictions on towing times etc, No doubt it would have sold already if it was a tad narrower and lighter.

This is where the Northbank 750 fits for our requirements, Weighs 3.3T and 2.5m beam, can legally tow it with the Ranger or Dmax. 

On 16/02/2019 at 6:27 PM, snapperhead said:

Bummer missing out on the Northbank there has been one fishing the same patch as me the past few weeks out wide on the tuna and I look on it with great envy it had a 300 yammie on the back and it was one hell of a nice fishing machine. I have returned the same time as him a couple of times and it was a quick boat in tough conditions and my boat is no slouch but I struggled to keep up with it and gave up trying 😂😂😂

Good luck with your search for your boat

cheers

snapps

Yeah its frustrating, just the way it goes though.
They are nice boats and will definitely be worth the wait.

Maybe catch less fish next time mate, could be slowing you down. 😉

G'day

Yeah over width and over 3.5t would be a pain, great buys in that sector for those that can make it work.  

Interstate buying can be good, done that twice and worked out well.   Extra costs but more selection and usually better prices.  Just a thought.  All good fun though, research research, looking looking 🙂 

Cheers

Rod