Is glue necessary on Zman Grubs

I recently went through a rather exhaustive search on what superglue people use to attached ZMANS to jigheads.
The glue is to stop fish yanking your plastic off the hook or pulling it off the keeper - or "Getting Pantsed".
This is a serious issue when getting 100's of hits that dont hook up, while chasing small snapper.

Here's what I learnt

1 - most people have never heard of using superglue with ZMANS
2 - those that had, like loctite gel super glue
3 - Most people use TT Headlock jigheads with ZMANS and claim getting "pantsed" isnt an issue
4 - Some claim getting pansted is still an issue with TT head locks

but the biggest revelation was this method that doesnt require glue and will work with any jighead - even those that arent specifically designed for Zmans.

They run a hook through the zman and pull it over the eye of the hook.

https://m.facebook.com/video_redirect/?src=https%3A%2F%2Fvideo.fsyd3-1.fna.fbcdn.net%2Fv%2Ft42.9040-2%2F53220768_2026084804170678_2193141491113656320_n.mp4%3F_nc_cat%3D109%26efg%3DeyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9%26_nc_eui2%3DAeFzUhCiWECAqVuxy576_WYjCcdczq_tmVXDc1979xsV6_Lj1AmC4iKAyQMaIo67-UcQwOO2gm8qbSwWSR2IRYrKxlTk0I82OAhWSev7DhtLkw%26_nc_ht%3Dvideo.fsyd3-1.fna%26oh%3Def80a7b29be7264ad2892f2d00276a1f%26oe%3D5C84B305&source=misc&id=579318495873707&refid=52&__tn__=FH-R

586.jpg

556.jpg

579.jpg

539.jpg

534.jpg

522.jpg

Never used glue on any plastics, have never felt I've needed to.

Most often I'll do exploratory fishing in an area to find what's working on that particular day in that area. I'll have usually a half dozen plastics in my pocket (not in my tackle bag) and I'll change colour and or type of plastic in one particular area to determine what they're liking. Sometimes I don't have to change things up because they hit the first one I cast but they definitely hit different colours and types on different days.

If I glued them and had to re-tie a new jighead everytime I changed I probably wouldn't bother.

32 minutes ago, Bladesg said:

Never used glue on any plastics, have never felt I've needed to.

Most often I'll do exploratory fishing in an area to find what's working on that particular day in that area. I'll have usually a half dozen plastics in my pocket (not in my tackle bag) and I'll change colour and or type of plastic in one particular area to determine what they're liking. Sometimes I don't have to change things up because they hit the first one I cast but they definitely hit different colours and types on different days.

If I glued them and had to re-tie a new jighead everytime I changed I probably wouldn't bother.

Yeah I'm the opposite when it comes to colours - I just pick one and stick with it. It takes a fair bit for me to change these days - I used to be mad for it but now I just cant be stuffed😉

If they arent hitting little bait fish profiles I will switched to a worm if I'm near some worm beds but usually I just put my faith in bait fish imitations.

When I do change plastics its usually to a different weight head, profile or hook size.

But I do carry a few pre-rigged in a little tackle box in my pocket in case the toadies move in.

589.jpg

18 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah I'm the opposite when it comes to colours - I just pick one and stick with it. It takes a fair bit for me to change these days - I used to be mad for it but now I just cant be stuffed😉

If they arent hitting little bait fish profiles I will switched to a worm if I'm near some worm beds but usually I just put my faith in bait fish imitations.

And I agree that gluing is far from ideal and not always necessary - but that pull over method is pretty handy for those time when the micro pinks move in

When I do change plastics its usually to a different weight head, profile or hook size.

But I do carry a few pre-rigged in a little tackle box in my pocket in case the toadies move in.

589.jpg

13 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Most of the SP fishing I do is for bream in various systems, occasionally chase mullies and snapper on them too but I've never really been bothered by fish pulling the plastic from the jighead. Sometimes we get loads of leatheries on a snapper drop but I'll switch to a metal jig or sinking stick bait or we move altogether 😂

As an example most guys I've come across that fish plastics for bream predominantly use a 2.5" motor oil grub, for good reason but having said that for me I've easily caught more fish on different shapes and colours and wouldn't rank the motor oil grub in my top 5 picks. 

I really enjoy that part of fishing too where I can find out what's working where and when.

9 minutes ago, Bladesg said:

Most of the SP fishing I do is for bream in various systems, occasionally chase mullies and snapper on them too but I've never really been bothered by fish pulling the plastic from the jighead. Sometimes we get loads of leatheries on a snapper drop but I'll switch to a metal jig or sinking stick bait or we move altogether 😂

As an example most guys I've come across that fish plastics for bream predominantly use a 2.5" motor oil grub, for good reason but having said that for me I've easily caught more fish on different shapes and colours and wouldn't rank the motor oil grub in my top 5 picks. 

I really enjoy that part of fishing too where I can find out what's working where and when.

Yeah getting pantsed is predominantly a micro pinkies on plastics problem. Heaps of aggressive hits that dont hook up when you strike is the issue.

But I specifically bought the ZMANS to target pinkies that hang around bait schools so white is a half decent match - it could be better but it will do

23 minutes ago, alexczarn said:

I've never used glue, or hooked over the eyelet or anything like that; maybe I'm just used to realigning my plastic that it's a force of habit.

Yeah the majority of people that replied elsewhere didnt seem to have that issue with zmans either - but it has been a real issue for me in the past with the old "snap-backs"|. I think it has alot to do with the skinny lead collar style keepers on the majority of my jigheads.

Users of TT head locks jigheads were particularly surprised that some people find glue necessary

As you can see from the photo below - the TT's offer a better chunk of lead to be pulled over and grip onto than my standard heads

556.jpg

I started using clips when fishing for Jewies coz I like to throw 3 different lures at a spot before moving on to the next - and I dont like casting with long leaders - so after a few spots, my leader would be getting short after tying 3 uni knots at each.

Then I started just using clips for all my lures - the only time I dont use them is on very delicate lures like 35mm plastic vibes and little stick minnows that need to flutter on the drop.

And they do have a habit of catching weed in very weedy spots so I dont use them with little weedless presentations.

I tend to chase everything but bream these days so i dont pay as much attention to finesse as I used to. But with that said - I still use them on 4cm bibbed minnows and blades.

I'm no guru but making the switch to clips didnt effect my catch rates. And it made it a alot easier to change lures in a heart beat. If you are lazy like me - using clips can be the difference between changing a lure and sticking with a lure not ideally suited to the cast you are about to make.

The little clips are pretty strong but some people have said they have had trouble with them opening up - part of me thinks they didnt shut the clip correctly. -  but their could be other factors at play. Rocks catching on the clip under strain and pushing the little keeper in and opening the snap could cause them to fail early. But its never happened to me

17 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

The little clips are pretty strong but some people have said they have had trouble with them opening up - part of me thinks they didnt shut the clip correctly. -  but their could be other factors at play. Rocks catching on the clip under strain and pushing the little keeper in and opening the snap could cause them to fail early. But its never happened to me

Those clips work, I'm a fan. 

They'll crap themselves if dragged through structure though, think people bash them around and then whinge when they fall apart on a good fish. 

On 11/03/2019 at 11:11 PM, yellow door 1 said:

Don't use any Decoy Snaps any more.

I have lost some trophy fish with these snaps opening up ... whatever the reason.

I now only use snaps that ... DON'T OPEN UP. 

Mustad "Fastach"

fastach.jpg.895fc6d0e8bf8f7081c257fbdb6a6ef4.jpg

fastach3.jpg.1ed0ccfc04bbe1bb7a6ddb25b12272ae.jpg

Or "Norman Clips"

norman-clips.jpg.e66d825a5057fa7a28bc45f663c0e119.jpg

Daiwa also offer a "non clip" Clip I think called super 8. I have not yet tried them.

You DON'T need to trust a "clip". There are better options available.

Cheers, Des