How to break bulk spools of braid into 100m topshots

How to break bulk spools of braid into 100m topshots

1. Measure it out on a rugby pitch (100m try line to try line)

2. jam 2 sticks in the ground 10m apart run the line around them 10 times

3. use your reel and the manufacturers guess as to how many cms of line is taken onto the spool in one turn of the handle. (this guessed distance will be for a full spools)

4. Buy a line counter and turn it around so it counts line coming onto the reel

495.jpg

496.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rod said:

G'day

Yeah use one of the cheapy version line counter, works well.  Also bought holder for the spools,  had issues with that but fixable

Cheers

Rod

Yeah I just use threaded rod from bunnings to hold the spool. A couple of nuts and some plywood washers and shess done.

But the line counter really rounds out my top shoting kit - no more guess work based on doqdy maths and spool circumferences.

As long as there enough tension to turn that little orange wheel - its pretty accurate

458.jpg

156.jpg

My counter appears to be the same.  Cheap but adequate for my use

Your spooling device looks functional and durable 🙂

This is the one I bought, the wing bolts had crap metal and stripped, the female thread good though so replaced bolts and clamp it in a vice rather than using the suction cup.  Great tension control with the springs each side

Cheers
Rod

spooler.JPG

Now that I've had a few minutes to think about it - I might build myself a line tensioning rig aswell.

When you spool the braid onto to your reel - do you use that tensioning rig? -

The reason I ask is I usually let the line come off the spool like this when transferring to my spinning reels to avoid twist - but that habit comes from the days when I used to use mono where twist is a much bigger issue

455.jpg

No Charge for me anyway. You just need to form good relationships. Often I get good prices for all fishing gear & that includes bulk spools so no need to buy off ebay for me. Not that many buy bulk spools so to move stock, the retail sell price is reduced. I usually get near shop purchase price so they still make some profit. If I do bring in a bulk spool purchased elsewhere, they still help me out ☺️.

ok so here it is in its final form -

I tried to get away with using a single nut and no springs - but the rig had a tendency to self tighten when too much drag was applied to the spool.

So I made some springs - then some more refined springs -then added a second locking nut and now it actually works like it should

129.jpg

124.jpg

121.jpg

Just when you thought this thread couldnt be less interesting - I've done it😉

Found a couple of tennis balls on the way to work - so I had to give that method a crack.  Good for light pressure of a bit over a kilo and below.

Supposedly you can ramp it up with a bench vice and some vice grips but I only managed a few hundred more grams of pressure with that method.

I reckon you could ramp things up with some threaded rod, nuts and washers but the spring loaded version already provides that service

• 1 month later...