An arvo in the Swamp

20 minutes ago, Rod said:

Entertaining video.  I also like that you are a right hander and know how to use your rod and reel 😉 

Justin Johnson on the shovel guitar is a nice choice of sound track 🙂  That guy can play anything with strings 

Cheers

Rod

Yeah when Rex Hunt said the dominant hand should be on the rod, I made the switch and havent regretted it.

re the soundtrack - I first heard his skills the other day and thought it suited the Swampy feel I was going for🙂

1 hour ago, doobie said:

Sorry Yellow Door, I didn't know it was 'your' video - thought it was just a link to someone else.

A great video and I did like the way you flicked the SP out by holding and pulling it back and letting go - good accuracy too :D 

Yeah those bow and arrow casts can come in handy in dense cover - and they are pretty accurate over short distances

4 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah when Rex Hunt said the dominant hand should be on the rod, I made the switch and havent regretted it.

Nope... I cant do it that way.... Left hand holds the rod, RH controls the reel......

though sometimes I hold the rod RH to cast.  I hate winding with my LH though.

26 minutes ago, dmck said:

Nope... I cant do it that way.... Left hand holds the rod, RH controls the reel......

though sometimes I hold the rod RH to cast.  I hate winding with my LH though.

Yeah - when bait fishing, winding right handed is probably a good idea. Having your smart hand doing the winding is often taking care of the most complex part of the process

But when it comes to accurately casting lures, Rex reckons you should have your most intelligent hand doing the casting - especially when casting single handed into tricky spots. The right hand should also be able to more intricately work the lure, as it spends most of a right handers life doing all the tricky stuff.  

I didnt find the switch super easy - but I just kept a rod next to the couch, with a left hand wind reel on it.  After a weeks worth of winding during the ads - I didnt feel like I was trying to pat my head and rub my stomach any more.

Amazing - brings back memories - wish drones were around back in the old AAA days. I remember months out before the freshwater state championships, we would head down to Tip Top Bakery at Maylands and get all of the breadcrumbs that were destined for scrap. Im talking tubs full of the stuff. Then weekend after weekend, we'd head to our chosen spot, spend the night making burley bombs, and literally bombard the backwater. Did this up until a week or so before the comp - and then on comp morning - arriving to the location it would look like a bubbling spa bath of monster carp. Youd not only be catching them all day, youd have them swimming between your legs. The only down side was carrying the bags of fish out of the swamp to the car - sometimes it was a very long walk!

7 minutes ago, Hamo1234 said:

Amazing - brings back memories - wish drones were around back in the old AAA days. I remember months out before the freshwater state championships, we would head down to Tip Top Bakery at Maylands and get all of the breadcrumbs that were destined for scrap. Im talking tubs full of the stuff. Then weekend after weekend, we'd head to our chosen spot, spend the night making burley bombs, and literally bombard the backwater. Did this up until a week or so before the comp - and then on comp morning - arriving to the location it would look like a bubbling spa bath of monster carp. Youd not only be catching them all day, youd have them swimming between your legs. The only down side was carrying the bags of fish out of the swamp to the car - sometimes it was a very long walk!

Yeah those drones would save a few hours searching for activity.

As kids - We thought we had our burley game sussed by asking the local baker for old bread - getting tubs of bread crumb is next level🙂