G’day everyone, just after a bit of advice. I’m looking for a wading bag, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Alvey bags, namely the regular and deluxe versions. If so, how do you rate them, and would anyone suggest the deluxe version is worth the extra expense? Any recommendations for a good wading bag would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you are standing in the water then may be a scaling bag tied to the belt might be more convenient,i got a Alvey bag and found it awkward casting lures or when standing knee deep the scaling bag will keep the fish alive.Just another option.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/neptune-scaler-bag/127061.html

https://www.hookedonline.com.au/jarvis-walker-fish-keeper-bag-with-2-inch-mesh-dra

BCF_127061_hi-res.jpg

Possibly one of each for different conditions,if i were to move around a lot at the waters edge then i'd have the Alvey bag,Thursday i was chasing mullett at PT Noarlunga Sth and stood mainly in one spot knee deep and that's where the scaling bag was more convenient for me.Different bags for different conditions 

Possibly one of each for different conditions,if i were to move around a lot at the waters edge then i'd have the Alvey bag,Thursday i was chasing mullett at PT Noarlunga Sth and stood mainly in one spot knee deep and that's where the scaling bag was more convenient for me.Different bags for different conditions 

How’d you go mate?

I have done lots of wading over the years and  wherever possible I use my  home made tub  these days.In it I can carry everything and have mounted a pvc pipe  to store a spare rod,or landing net or crab rake.I will use a bag on a beach, but the main reason I dont wading anymore  is once out Thompsons beach years ago had a big lit up bronzy that wanted what  fish where in the bag, not good when the thing is attatched to your waist. This thing was fast and determined  and  circled ,rushed at me and my mate numerous times .We were using our rod butts to fend it off.Scared me that bad  ,yeah kinda puts one off the idea..😎

Back in my younger days while spearfishing 10-20m deep and sometimes 300m out like horseshoe reef and myponga beach would have 2 bronzies circling and fish tide to my weight belt makes you nervous,only seconds spent releasing the fish.It's the pointer that scares you the most..No shark shields back in those days,as to knee or waist deep less worrying 

I have the "ugly stick" bag.. Why? I liked the little pocket with the box for lures.. and the material looked a lot tougher than the Alvey one..

Thompsons is my local.. Been there a few times last/this year.. always get one or two silvers with lures and always lots of undersized ones.. You can thank the local Pro Fisher for raping the area.. I wish they ban them in metro...... Great spot for it..

Back in my younger days while spearfishing 10-20m deep and sometimes 300m out like horseshoe reef and myponga beach would have 2 bronzies circling and fish tide to my weight belt makes you nervous,only seconds spent releasing the fish.It's the pointer that scares you the most..No shark shields back in those days,as to knee or waist deep less worrying 

You’re a braver man than I mate, that sounds positively nerve racking. Having said that, it sounds a lot like parenthood, and I’m probably more likely to get bitten by my 3 young children haha

I have the "ugly stick" bag.. Why? I liked the little pocket with the box for lures.. and the material looked a lot tougher than the Alvey one..
Thompsons is my local.. Been there a few times last/this year.. always get one or two silvers with lures and always lots of undersized ones.. You can thank the local Pro Fisher for raping the area.. I wish they ban them in metro...... Great spot for it..

Thanks for the comment Mike, I’ve enjoyed reading your fishing reports. Where did you get your Ugly Stik bag from?

Another alternative which I may throw out there, is to use a backpack with a length of cord to caribena clip to hold your fish. 

I do quite a bit of wading now and I've found it more than sufficient, normally can take my phone out with me and it hasn't drowned yet (touch wood)

I've not tried a wading bag though, so they could be vastly superior. 

1 hour ago, Slowly_evolving said:

Thanks for the comment Mike, I’ve enjoyed reading your fishing reports. Where did you get your Ugly Stik bag from?

tackle world port rd.... a little dearer than the others.. But I liked it... and if you want a fishing partner for thompsons.. drop me a line and well organise a fish.. Wanting to try some new lures I have..

If you have a sewing machine handy just make ya own! A cheap $3 tarp cut out a bit fold in half sew up each side then cut a length for the strap fold in half and again sew along the length then just attach to bag! If you want a pocket just cut out the size and sew 3 sides to the main bag before you sew that together!

There easy as and very little cost. I used to make a couple at once and they would last for a few years before i threw them away and made another!..... 

Very good advice from ChuckTseeker, I guess you could also use some ripstop canvas if you had it laying around. I got one today at a very reasonable price, but if I’m using it I discover I’d like it laid out a different way I may well end up making my own as you’ve suggested. Thanks for your input mate!

Mate I have both Alvey bags and scaling bags, my go to is the deluxe version. Set up with ruler, worming pliers, hook disgorger and knife. Thermos, energy drink or cheeki water bottle in the can holder. Just love it. My boy uses the standard one. Also I have the mother of mid-sections and if anything it gives the bag something to rest against !! To maintain just give it an occasional hose out. I often use an Alvey belt with a bait container and rod bucket attached, the bait container can also be used to store lures.  In the front pouch of the bag I keep a small waterproof container for tackle, and obviously any fish go in the main pouch, and I also keep wallet/phone/keys, etc. in waterproof bags in the main pouch as well. Alvey do sell a dry pack for this purpose that can be attached to the belt: https://alvey.com.au/products/dry_pack/ If you look at my profile pic the yellow strap is visible there, I was flicking the flats for whiting on that day, took home a good feed too. Where I'm from this is actually quite a standard beach fishing set up.

suLvEt1LrIyygbcqgmnu-trJ3g_nPARiIIjVWbhPz_ppE3ppa7DudupodLMftjzLSBDGisB6y38GuTLEn8tPe4qrsOtCHjvcT5p12hEaLDDI7S940SW6Nr302BDbRNDtvGbNm93bLjwQHeioMuFtineWLLP7sfhLvF5CNCyG7AEqWffdz4cBd_J74D3x59Luj5X0VlXxZfplOt_kAzB_39q5kuOSDj65moaw5H8sGaN65avmpIH4rN0842xiYxk-OT4JRebnG8_RONEDH8NO456BgmgoZFFAl44JpyUAJzOmz3vsYt61yR1hRo9DV7NE0wqdXRxP64tNqXvqdIA2VTC8Mcb1mXJij0o683FV57U6rqtYn19Ywtmqqlpz1Ob5ZWkR_bJOeSHx5fR3a8KKmttqzaFoG-bWRy_Zq2G5VdrGIGpTkCKTuKOBsQf5tx3SdMrmittWpD1HsYMuzIzLoedWgvuJcIMScC4VeANnJLeD47ME3NyV9DVyFfm1KX_g7RuF6S318-bjohVEIfB6dNY1dYuqrwiy5iTp590lVsdVa3zhiMKYbLt1F5LQ5sP4WO1L9AsbX2OOEvnS-GrGeHvJnndcHwBCMbP4QU5iM_GRyTVJ96l3pnU1VJAhEN4jbWz6bkGxnQ-kV8oSfRy-KhOOIUTXW88=w927-h695-no

ipN-gHekXE4_ad-6ty6IL5q04xxGxpQ6dC4bD3G-qm1kuqciJWm4kN6Es2hJiKQbvn8HaPzh4vSBjITHz6BRdzJQvR3vNFLd1V3zw4UCHlUUfg6-ISVjYl0EGl4V95qOdF9p6gV-RlTJwo76jviqJrAEcIGj-JoGRIpUr3veaYuQBmNCFmKUfWSpW1JHrFtxFBDWVDRO4Cms_XECwDWjYd2HPL0MGun-h8tT_L8JLjFq7bS3uQ0-pLnNc8kDehrwok4whxIVThTVMRHNxijblaZcrjFw9czduplSVhqlph3fBhMvjFKkpy5T20FCs8MiceH3ys5aC79L_3aulZWilqrBqpelVEGR-W2CqVMZZhdJwN5RmnfaajLp7Q6BTkkFyZOXZxNH2OqWh18saLmaMfYNQb1K7R_LH_E27YE90H0Vw6GnlTmP8r0lQCf6Mr1R0ZB0NahmKXsYfFSr4Ey3jz-29dye3rQ2qFuUUj-rJG22vLNBg4vhfJ1Um1XhfI8uto4guhxBDYEmAYoY-L8pJLsU_0h9ObMHs0Z-nVIRoiW6FlzcPBPMkYvwgTe-Z8tFZtXRkorYZiYkpioJbbMe7koV7_9KyzK47hCVsW5G4TmUfEKPa0gSm3-b9XJfCJJzp88rGgwJK5v5qggPwu6qfUz-AP1GA7o=w927-h695-no

Here's a pic of the Alvey bait belt with rod bucket and a bait container, note that particular bait container has a bit sticking out with holes that lures can hang off (yes the crab was returned for all you sticklers):

hKijp_wQDVT3xPN1-Cso9p4KMnyew9Z_vB48gym7w0i5I_WFb54ToSLVKqc1OCZeB1dSAvp6e_tlISrONMDPH9f_STAhutqepvNqh6lBiO_lt7zUDxEHlcjlV7tiUePbaMNSgwXH9W6L4WCIuF2qZdOJoM987zqa_omGsFwL7nzVn69siP5VHtQomddCPoH7I_203dK6QDYiAcTlTvHSqTDTmxlIgcCgFjidmViVy4BovnS5gT4XhXGfv-MG1tuO4bjdolqMP1UKGQxRWdXWAYwQfKEwMXhDz0ZBP9CYml9Me2MLOw9mcI51TBOzpbs8swVPlB_FsDpjEOODSQm9WSiTUTKUqaRSmTDoTYsbVew26R4Aa98EoYrSs2mZp4NTO8FFsfGV6VAOw_00dEXY0CR5Z_UgKmbhWOavaRSpjEUoswrrhNyxzRh1ixnss0Z1mLjLiyfwt5Lqmd7HGbOX8JJGYGzCkbeUhrSI-0ven558PyMzA5C_q8y50GoYkGszo-DJCvvDaLzFcuuuzHC-CxYPPUerpmqEzHbDH0rnEffR8utOfOSy8fhqTvxHtvQiCrHnU4QbvD-vD2Q-KgTFyFObaIrebrHLMlqxHzEUnpygAnyA2qrslCDXcWoHTDk-smo3TviklvXYsRx5evD9sIyQ_1M8aQ4=w522-h695-no

G’day HeavyD, thanks for the detailed reply and info mate, I’ve been meaning to get onto one of those Alvey belts, seems it’s compatible with every Alvey product, something a lot of manufacturers could learn from. The bait bucket looks particularly good, being that it’s versatile for use with bait,Berley or tackle storage. Thanks for the photos mate, glad to see you out there getting amongst it, especially with your lad.

2 minutes ago, Slowly_evolving said:

That’s a bloody good idea mate, I’m pretty sure I’ve got one of those maglite loops in the shed. How often do you need to oil/wax that leather knife sheath?

Somehow lost the original sheath so picked up a cheapy of ebay and so far 5th season untouched

For what it is worth, those rapala sling bags are a great (there would be other brands / versions that do the same) alternative to a wading bag. Holds more than enough tackle and supplies. Slides around to the front for easy access and even doubles as a work table. You can clip on a fish / scale / keeper bag to the D ring on the bag as well.

Whilst I have upgraded to a tub with an esky for my flats wading, I still use the sling bag for all my other land based fishing, especially where mobility is key.

Another idea I know others use, is a fly vest. Its lite, everything is accessible and again, you can carry a keeper bag attached to your waste.

For what it is worth, that Atomic Arrowz rod you got, if its the Bream Surface rod, its a great rod, especially for the price. I have one in my arsenal of wands epecially for wrangling YFW on surface lures. I havent been dissappointed.

G’day TL, thanks for the input mate. I had a Daiwa sling bag in the past which was great for rocks fishing. I had considered a fly vest due to doing a bit of kayaking as well, but ultimately settled on the wading bag. I enjoyed reading the wading tubs thread, it looks like you’re all set, I especially like the rod/landing net holders. I’m very keen to give the arrowz a workout, seems I got on the bandwagon late as they are sold out nearly everywhere. Good luck with it mate!

I run a tub, similar to TL. I also use a scaling bag with a toggle on the drawstring as my catch bag. You can easily drag this around your waist ..tho the rays, bronzies & doggies (shark) can get rather curious!

A mate uses 2 of these from Motackle:  https://www.motackle.com.au/yellow-beach-shoulder-fishing-bag.html

1 for tackle, 1 for fish and lure fishing mostly. Pretty cheap..100% waterproof is a bit of a misnomer!