Are Shimano Nasci Reels Dunkable

Looking through a variety of sealed reels at budget prices and lightweight 1000-2500-3000 sizes
Tsunami Shield – good seals too heavy
Penn Spinfisher V & V1 - good seals too heavy
Kastking Sharky ll – has seals cheap to buy but major fail for dunking
I can’t think of anything other spinning reels for knee deep fishing for Mullet and Gar
Nasci has 3 rubber seals to prevent water intrusion does anyone know if they work for the occasional dunk ? and when I say dunk it may get one to three on a day,but will they survive .Anyone put that to the test.

n1_3.jpg

I’ve got a nasci 2500 that I use for tommies and mullet, and while I wouldn’t want to leave it submerged for any length of time it does cop spray pretty regularly and has seen a few dunks. I’ve been really impressed with it tbh, I regularly give it a bath in freshwater to stop the salt drying on it and it’s basically still like new with the exception of a little fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They really are quite robust, my only suggestion would be if you’re going to maintain it yourself, use a decent amount of rubber grease or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the seals each time you strip the reel. Once the seals dry and perish they’re useless. Having said that, mine are still supple and sealing perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have a couple of shimano reels that have been sprayed a few times without too much drama. I do believe however that warranties are voided by Shimano if salt or sand does get inside the reel. Have also heard of a claim being voided because the owner had previously opened up the reel for a clean, Shimano apparently expect that only authorised repairers are to open them up.

I do have a finn-nor rampage 2000 reel that went for a swim for about a minute when it fell out of my crab tub at Thompsons last year, and the sealing has held (I'm a little slow even when in a hurry). I just removed the spool, gave it a wash down then sprayed a lanolin based lube/dispersant called Reel Deal by Pirtek onto it.4ff   

If you're concerned about a reel being subject to salt/sand exposure when wading for mullet/gar etc. then have you considered an Alvey sidecast estuary/light beach set up?? These reels are simple and tough as nails. They can handle salt water dunkings, sand infiltration, have few moving parts, cast a country mile with great accuracy, and will often outlive their owner. Super simple to maintain as well, and warranties will not be voided for exposure to salt and sand. They are my go to bait fishing outfits, and range in sizes suited to anything from garfish to kingfish, shitties to sharks. The 1 to 1 retrieve ratio is a little slow compared to a spin reel, but that ratio also provides a winch power that cannot be matched. The 2 main issues are line twist, easily rectified by having a small swivel attached to the mainline, and people not familiar with them using incorrectly matched rods. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also looking at the pic the line lay is far from perfect,a little thing that  bothers me with mid range shimanos compared to daiwa ,where even their mid range seem no different to their high end stuff.Shimanos whilst being fine reels and I own a few, are a bit hit and miss when it comes to this . Only talking braid here and i am fussy and like it even, if it tapers a bit to the front thats not bad but that shallow dip in the middle like the line lay  in the pic  not keen at all.😎

On 26/03/2019 at 3:53 PM, SurfcaztR said:

Hi D,i did run Alveys reels years back but these days the rods and reels are so light to hold and you can hold onto them for hours,that's all i use these days light weight gear.

Have a look at their current range. Alvey nowadays offer graphite and vented reels that have significantly reduced weight. 

2 hours ago, Heavy D said:

Have a look at their current range. Alvey nowadays offer graphite and vented reels that have significantly reduced weight. 

I did go onto there site and have a look though and seriously considered a Alvey,one thing i always do is to throw a few lures after the bait fishing session usually walk the shore line casting covering ground.This works well with a casting reel or spinner but not that good with a Alvey and a couple hundred casts.