NEW MINISTER’S RECREATIONAL FISHING ADVISORY COUNCIL ANNOUNCED

Source: https://pir.sa.gov.au/alerts_news_events/news/fisheries_and_aquaculture/final_line-up_for_the_new_ministers_recreational_fishing_advisory_council_announced

FINAL LINE-UP FOR THE NEW MINISTER’S RECREATIONAL FISHING ADVISORY COUNCIL ANNOUNCED
Monday 25 March 2019

The Minister’s Recreational Fishing Advisory Council has been finalised with the announcement of the five successful individual representatives to complete the nine-member council.

Shane Mensforth, David Scholefield, Amanda Whitehorn, Peter Teakle and Brian Wheadon will join the four appointed recreational fishing organisation representatives to provide feedback and advice to government on recreational fishing development, initiatives and big picture policy issues that impact the sector.

Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development Tim Whetstone said the finalising of the Minister’s Recreational Fishing Advisory Council is another election commitment delivered by the Marshall Liberal Government.

“I’m delighted to announce today the five individual representatives elected by the fishing public, to complete the nine-member Minister’s Recreational Fishing Advisory Council,” said Minister Whetstone.

“The Marshall Liberal Government’s commitment to refreshing representation for recreational fishers has been achieved through a transparent, open consultation and voting process.

“The voting process has been transparent and historic - for the first time in South Australian Government history, Blockchain technology was used for the voting process. Blockchain is an exciting emerging technology which is extremely secure and already used all over the world to perform valuable transactions.”

Minister Whetstone said that voting was done using the preferential method and counted using the proportional representation model.

“By ensuring votes flowed through a preferential system, each vote has counted,” said Minister Whetstone.

“I thank all the candidates who put their hand up and nominated, and every recreational fisher who voted – you have made your voice heard, and these five individuals will represent you on the Council.

“Recreational fishing provides significant social and economic benefits to our state. For some time there has been a need to enhance the dialogue and communication between recreational fishers and the South Australian Government, which is what this group aims to achieve.

“I am looking forward to working with all nine members to further our commitment to South Australia’s diverse and active recreational fishery to improve the fishing experience.”

Ministerial Recreational Fishing Advisory Council members

Shane Mensforth
David Scholefield
Amanda Whitehorn
Peter Teakle - inland fisher
Brian Wheadon - representing the tackle sector
Tracey Tito - representing FishinSA and the South Australian Fishing Alliance
John Thomas - representing FishinSA
Ian Fitzgerald - representing RecFish SA
Graham Keegan - representing the South Australian Fishing Alliance

• 2 weeks later...

Optimistic about this selection.

I hope they can achieve some positive outcomes for recreational fishing in SA.

And fingers crossed for freshwater folks that the opening of all reservoirs gets final approval with their assistance.

And maybe more landbased access and infrastructure in the Port River. 

But we might need to introduce a recreational fishing licence for that to raise the funds.

Works in other states. Just wondering what other people think about it?

Not a fan of a license without first seeing the government make a commitment to improving the fishery in stead of the status quo of 'optimum utilisation' or scorched earth policy in fishery management (salt water environment).

I'm like 85% of SA rec fishers that are not interested in fishing the fresh so you can have a license to fish the fresh if you want as this is the only place rec fishers get a look in with current fishery management but keep us salt water fishers out of it.

Also I wouldn't be expecting any new areas opening up in the port as the new Liberal government is handing Cruikshanks Corner to a commercial fishing company, https://ourport.com.au/precinct/cruickshanks-corner/

Seems very dumb to me to create a commercial fishing base in the middle of an area that is planned for high-rise apartments, it's amazing what electoral donations can get you. Not good for rec fishers as this is the only place to launch in the inner harbour and potentially looks up another couple of hundred metres of river front so recs can't access it.

While the government has this attitude to rec fishing, not on your life.

9 hours ago, AuusieDave said:

I'm like 85% of SA rec fishers that are not interested in fishing the fresh so you can have a license to fish the fresh if you want as this is the only place rec fishers get a look in with current fishery management but keep us salt water fishers out of it.

While the government has this attitude to rec fishing, not on your life.

I completely agree with this.

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

Would RecFishSA consider stocking bream and other species in the Port River, Patawalonga, West Lakes and the Onkaparinga? 

There's plenty of bream in those places, so not much sense in a stocking program.

A mulloway stocking program would get my attention. Better yet, effective management of mulloway in the Coorong, giving them a chance to replenish themselves naturally, would be even more interesting.

22 hours ago, lure said:

^ this i.e. the size limit and bag limit down there is ridiculous !

Steve

Been like this for years at the Coorong without any issues. Why fix what isn't broke??. Concentrate on the Pro Crabbers, Longliners & Prawners. These have and are still causing the problems BIG TIME.

2 hours ago, Rybak said:

Been like this for years at the Coorong without any issues. 

Mulloway numbers have declined, that's why they increased the size limit to 82cm a couple of years ago. 

Long story short myself and S&H Tony B were invited by FRDC to attend a full day fisheries seminar/course around 4 years ago, that was being run in every state, anyway Professor Mehdi Doroudi (Executive Director Of Fisheries and Aquaculture; at that time) attended also and give him his dues he allowed us to ask him questions (one on one) during the lunch break and I asked him why doesn't the size limit of Mulloway down the Coorong meet their own requirements, 

Size limits

There are minimum and maximum legal size limits for some fish species that are caught with rod and line or other permitted devices.

Size limits let fish:

• reach maturity
  • complete their breeding cycle
  • contribute to sustainable fish stocks.

Fish taken for use as bait must still meet size limits.

which he had no answer too but agreed at 46cm the Mulloway are not mature and he would email me a response after he further investigated it. I never got a reply so I emailed him and got some vague answer that had nothing to do with the direct question. 

I'm not having ago at those who fish there and keep any legal fish but find it strange that in a known nursery PIRSA set a ridiculous size limit imho.

Steve

In reality the size limit in the Coorong should probably be increased to be consistent & be in line with the current 82cm. Having said that, the Mulloway numbers in my view have generally been very good there even with the local pros netting daily. Not sure if that area is an issue but perhaps it maybe.

There are still plenty of Mulloway in the Port River & the big boys are always consistent during winter, however the current size limit applies as it always has in the Port & there is no netting.....Different scenario I guess, but I don't agree that Mulloway numbers in the Port have declined at all....In fact last year was one of the best I have had for awhile. 

Anyway, the Coorong is a different kettle of "fish" & as far as I know to date, not an issue.