I have not tried smoking shark although I have been smoked by a few.I would put gummy shark into the same category as large mulloway as far as taste and texture goes and yes I have tried smoking them but found them to be dry.What I did find though is hot smoking without brine,just to add a smokey flavour worked beautifully.I like to stick to the oily fish when it comes to smoking (hot or cold) my favourite in order of preference would have to be snook,tommies,snapper wings,kingfish wings and salmon trout.The brine I like to use is to 2 litres of water add 400gm salt 250 gm brown sugar and brine for at least 4 hours or over night is fine.Wash them well and dry on paper towels in front of a fan.The drying process is important...If I was to try gummy shark I would first try the flaps or wings as they are sometimes called,have a crack and let us know how it went.

I landed some thumping big slimmies on a recent trip around the west coast of KI and I have to agree DMCK I kept a couple for crab bait and cold smoked a couple of the smaller ones along with some trevally and a kilo plus whiting.The macks were very good,i would give the trevers about 4 out of 10 and the whiting 3/10.