Breeding maggots without meat

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a good method to breed maggots to eliminate the smell is after the blow wrap the blown fish or meat in 5 or six layers of news paper place in the bottom of a bucket then fill the bucket with clean dry

Hi Doobie, sorry I'm a bit late for the party. I buy the long life gents too, and have found them to be fantastic. I keep them in the fridge set at 4 degrees, and they have lasted for several months.

I have now returned to breeding my own gents for 1 pure reason - twice now, I have purchased a container of long life gents and both within a 2 weeks were 3/4 dead. Each was purchased from a diff

Posted Images

11 hours ago, doobie said:

That's pretty good yellow door and an interesting trial.

So you'd probably get around 50 odd days if you had been taking to fish with, considering warmth of days while out of fridge.

Will very interesting if you decide to try them in the coir/coconut fibre.

Yeah I reckon your calculations are about right

I'll give the coconut fibre a go next

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, doobie said:

Yes it begins :D

That is going to smell :D 

I'd be wrapping that in newspaper and then burying it under soil or sand ;) 

Hope you get lots of fat ones though.

Yeah I recently re-read this thread and all the advice you gave was spot on - I've put Newspaper under and on top since that photo was taken.

The flies were straight onto the fish just like you said they would be  - no more canned cat food for my maggots😉

Well that was a freaken night mare

Here's some stuff I learnt about using carp for maggots

There is a heap of moisture in a carp as it breaks down - so you would either need a bucket with a drain to let it out - or about 10 times the newspaper I used

If you dont use enough newspaper it will break down and turn into a sludge - a maggot infused sludge that is very difficult to pick maggots out of.

Also dont use the head - they just burrow in and hang on when you are trying to shake them out

End result was a hell of alot of mucking around and I lost 2/3rds of the maggots in the sorting process. The ones I salvaged are in a sea of newspaper, guts and scales - its almost enough to dampen a mans enthusiasm for breeding his own😉

At least I'll know what to do next time

Yeah I got a bit frustrated towards the end of the sorting process and was just chucking out as much maggots as mushy paper.

I recon without the paper it would have been a much easier task

I found the paper really handy when I used cat food - its was so simple to sort those ones - but the carp and newspaper was a different kettle of fish😉

1 hour ago, keenfisho said:

Well done for giving it a crack, but yuck!

the smell must have been disgusting 

Yeah before the sorting process I was congratulating my self on how well prepared I was

I had my rubber gloves on - I'd already dug a 2ft pit for the scraps - I had the hose ready to rinse the maggots in a sieve - I had the bran all ready in there storage container

My plans of a smooth operation flew out the window when the stench set it - from then on it was a mixture of panic and rash decisions😉

Trying to pry open the head, to get all the maggots out, unleashed a smell worse than Satan's bung hole and thats when I started to panic - after that I was cutting my losses and trying to get the stench underground - collecting the maggots became a secondary concern😉

7 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah before the sorting process I was congratulating my self on how well prepared I was

I had my rubber gloves on - I'd already dug a 2ft pit for the scraps - I had the hose ready to rinse the maggots in a sieve - I had the bran all ready in there storage container

My plans of a smooth operation flew out the window when the stench set it - from then on it was a mixture of panic and rash decisions😉

Trying to pry open the head, to get all the maggots out, unleashed a smell worse than Satan's bung hole and thats when I started to panic - after that I was cutting my losses and trying to get the stench underground - collecting the maggots became a secondary concern😉

Hey just a thought , put all of your fish frames , in chicken wire , like in a roll , frames in chicken wire ,roll the chicken wire up , like a tube , when they have been blown , wrap in news paper  , and bury , take out and shake the maggots out …...EASY , most of the fish stays in the mesh , shake , shake and put the SH&t in the neighbours   bin . not Rocket science ……….…………. and you don't need a Vernier, to measure , fish don't go on size ……..of maggots …….? and the science that goes into …….. maybe catching F%^k all .  

33 minutes ago, lofty64 said:

Hey just a thought , put all of your fish frames , in chicken wire , like in a roll , frames in chicken wire ,roll the chicken wire up , like a tube , when they have been blown , wrap in news paper  , and bury , take out and shake the maggots out …...EASY , most of the fish stays in the mesh , shake , shake and put the SH&t in the neighbours   bin . not Rocket science ……….…………. and you don't need a Vernier, to measure , fish don't go on size ……..of maggots …….? and the science that goes into …….. maybe catching F%^k all .  

Thanks for the tip Lofty - I like the way you think😉

I think I'll move away from anything a maggot can grip onto for my next batch - that means skinned carp fillet.

What I noticed with using a can of cat food was - separating the maggots was a piece of piss -  as you start adding heads and frames - it gives the maggots something to hang onto - this means you will be tempted to shake them out and splatter your legs with some of the foulest smelling bits known to man. It also adds time to the part of the process you definitely dont want to add time to

Theres alot to be said for the scientific approach if you are trying to achieve the ultimate results - I've tried 2 different approaches, and from those, I have a much clearer picture of how it should be done - a little from column A and a little from column B, should make future batches much easier.

But you are probably right about the calipers - I may have taken thing 11.28mm too far😉

Here's a big tip that should not be repeated also ....

When you have a supply of maggots/gents and have put the container of maggots/gents inside another container for a short period of time .........

Do not, I repeat, Do Not forget they are inside the other container and put that container in the freezer ;)

The maggots/gents do not like it :( 

3 hours ago, keenfisho said:

I was dry wreching just watching the video

think I will stick the buying them 😂😝🤮

Yeah I've bought maggots before but now I've started on this journey - I'm going to see it through till I perfect the art.

I caught my first decent bream on maggots in a spot where they were supposed to be hard to catch.

I had tried with other baits and they were very hard to catch -

but once the maggots got involved, they turned me into a bream catching machine - this started and evolution in my fishing which led to spending millions on lures and catching bugger all compared to my early catches on maggots.

So my obsession with these creepy units runs deeper than I am probably aware of - the fact, that I kept a recent batch and didnt use a single one for bait, should let you know my obsession with maggots isnt entirely healthy😉

3 hours ago, The Fishing Guru said:

Well done Mate ... I reckon I might stick to buying them also however 😂

Yeah I sometimes question my sanity, with the lengths I will go to to work something trivial out - especially when its already been worked out before - by 100's of other people - and its not even that important in the first place😉

But I'd be lying if I said I had not lost sleep wondering how to breed maggots better under the parameters I have set😉

3 hours ago, Softy said:

That video is why i use lures. :lol: 

Haha - Yeah I didnt throw anything but lures for 10 straight years - but a switch has flicked and now I'm stuck obsessing over baits,

Imagine giving the same level of thought, you have poured into lures, into your bait presentations - then going back and thinking about all the times you could have cleaned up, if you had known what you were doing as a baito.

I cringe at some of the opportunities I pissed away as a Young fella - alot of them dont even exist to a lure fisherman anymore

But a crafty lad with a punnet full of maggots - he might be able to rewind the clock 30 years - those big old bruisers are still there - but they are way too smart for a lure

3 hours ago, doobie said:

Here's a big tip that should not be repeated also ....

When you have a supply of maggots/gents and have put the container of maggots/gents inside another container for a short period of time .........

Do not, I repeat, Do Not forget they are inside the other container and put that container in the freezer ;)

The maggots/gents do not like it :( 

I can only imagine the heart break of the time invested - the stench endured - only to turn them into icypoles no fish wants to eat

But if I take a second to think about it - are frozen maggots an option as a bait

I know I wouldn't piss on a frozen mullet - if a live one was on offer

I wouldnt piss on a freshly caught and filleted mullet, if a live one was on offer

coz I tentatively believe Mullet are a shit dead bait and the only thing they have going for them is their ability to wriggle for hours on a live bait hook. (but thats based on insufficient science, contradictory results and insufficient data)

But Maybe baits can be frozen and still maintain appeal - Pilchards, pippies and squid can all survive the freezing process - admittedly they are quite pungent when they thaw - but who's to say a maggot doesnt stink in a proprotionate manner as he heats up under water.

WHile I'll be the first to admitt I havent heard alot about fresh water frozen baits (apart from bait fish) - It seems to be fairly common and effective for salt water species