How to: Daiwa Double Clutch lures?

G'day all,

Just bought myself 3 double clutchs & am wondering if you would share your knowledge, tips & tricks on using them.

I've read a few reports, mickyj's in particular, as he seems to use them a lot & am looking on youtube for some tips.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Have had good success with twitching and pausing as well as a slow constant retrieve. Also scored some good fish kicking up plumes while bouncing them off the bottom. While they are rated to around 2-3 metres depending on the size you use I have also used them in shallow water with high sticking my rod. A great lure with potential to catch numerous species 😉. Good luck with using them. Regards HBt.

I've only used the 95 trolling from the kayak.. usually used to use it while changing locations at 4.5-5km/h and caught nothing. The other weekend while on the river chasing Callop and trolling lures suited to that was around 1-1.5km/h.

I come back here and slowed the troll right down with the DC 1.5-2km/h and got onto a million ST and a couple of bream. So sometimes slow and steady wins the race!

But as to how to cast them around... no idea. 🤣

I've used each size, for the two smaller ones I use these techniques for the following species. 

Snook: Constant roll with steady twitching and the occasional pause

Bream: slow roll with lots of pauses

Callop: slow roll with twitches and pauses

Salmon: quick wind

Mulloway: slow roll with intermittent pauses or hard fast cranks followed by a sharp pause if they are sitting mid water. 

Redfin: slow roll with pauses and twitches

Trout: Steady wind with the odd change of pace thrown in

Small cod: Similar to the callop retrieve

They are a very versatile lure, I don't mind trolling them either but they aren't my first pick. 

Lots of fantastic advice, thank you all :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

I was hoping to give them a try today but the family is too caring & sharing.................

They've been crook 😷 😷 & now I am too, great! :1319_thumbsdown_tone5: Haven't left the house all day, goin' stir crazy

At least there's youtube 😁

Ok seeing I was mentioned lol . I’m sick as a dog this week vertigo and infection so not leaving the house yet . Good question to ask simply the easiest way to use a double clutch that hardbody tragic reminded me once . Retrieve very slowly then slow it down even more . Yep so either one or two slow turns or retrieve of the reel then pause and a twitch . Twitches will sometimes work well and at sometime won’t attract the fish . I saw the post about moving the double clutch fast for salmon yes that works as does slowly but honestly if salmon are on the bite they will hit a lure once it hits the water . Like the slow retrieve a oldie I know from the Pat a bait fisher reminded me to always hit baitfish schools . Another thing I needed to remember after my injury . Now while it’s great not every bait school holds predators but they do .

With double clutches I’ve landed more on the 65 used more of those but I now have 4 in the 75 m . None with red eyes for some reason lately red eyes are great but not always .

what everyone tells you should work on all sinking lures .

colours that’s been a thing I’ve been big on since I took up hardbodies some colours work everywhere some work great in west lakes some work great in the Pat 

as an example I bought an olive green DC 65 last winter as I was landing salmon on everything I chucked at them in west lakes . I bought it as it was like a plastic colour I was using in Zman slim swim . End result nothing would touch it in west lakes but bream and STs loved it in the Pat . And with that $10 voucher from anaconda a$15 dc cost me $5 . It’s grey and white iirc first four fish in the Pat bream then STs and mullet loved it go to west lakes one mullet .

ok I guess I’ve rambled enough 

but you can use the things people have posted on all diving hardbodies 

cheers 

micky 

41 minutes ago, vogon said:

I hope you get better soon, I hear Vertigo can be a bastaard of a thing.

Havent had a chance to try out any of the advice, feeling a bit better but the cold air sets me off so patiently I wait

Vertigo is a mongrel as is infected sinuses but I’ve suffered head spins in the past from my brain injury 6 fractures right side of my head it’s just the right side of my sinus which is improving. Hopefully I’ll get out tomorrow not to fish I’m afraid .

now I think you bought the black one in the 75 size that’s a very good colour I’ve caught a fair few fish with that colour in the smaller size and something big broke that off I’ve replaced it in the smaller size 

hope you land a few salmon in this weather