What going on with your the Snappers?

PIRSA was told years ago and nothing was done  ,owned and run by Corrupt enterprise ,all about money ,money , money   dickheads . To late WANKERS , unless you put a complete stop to long lining ,limit boat charters more ,and stop the pros taking as much as they want  , and F%#K the idiots coming in our gulf with super trawlers .

I'm sure that polluted storm water run off has had a big impact as does the daily millions of liters of water from the treatment plant, sea grass is now thinly spread along the coast and way out from where it used to be.. I can remember fishing the Semaphore & Larges jetties when the sea grass was well in close to shore and only the first third of the jetty had sand under it.  Used to cast into the sand patches and catch KGW on every trip..  Now it's all sand for the length of both jetties..

cheers

Adrian

1631468320_PortRiverOuterHarbour..jpg.30d5d877f79f24f6f85f99416f329e8b.jpg

Port River & outer Harbour area.. used to be full of sea grass..

1081500275_SemaphoreLargsBay.jpg.2c24cf04346b6b7c299a731613dcedb2.jpg

Semaphore & Largs Beach,..

40 minutes ago, Meppstas said:

I'm sure that polluted storm water run off has had a big impact as does the daily millions of liters of water from the treatment plant, sea grass is now thinly spread along the coast and way out from where it used to be.. I can remember fishing the Semaphore & Larges jetties when the sea grass was well in close to shore and only the first third of the jetty had sand under it.  Used to cast into the sand patches and catch KGW on every trip..  Now it's all sand for the length of both jetties..

cheers

Adrian

1631468320_PortRiverOuterHarbour..jpg.30d5d877f79f24f6f85f99416f329e8b.jpg

Port River & outer Harbour area.. used to be full of sea grass..

1081500275_SemaphoreLargsBay.jpg.2c24cf04346b6b7c299a731613dcedb2.jpg

Semaphore & Largs Beach,..

Not as big of an issue as the commercial rapists.................

19 minutes ago, Rybak said:

Not as big of an issue as the commercial rapists.................

Spot on Rybak.. That's what I stated earlier, it's time they took a hard look at them & do something about it instead of turning a blind eye to it....

cheers

Adrian

Not saying i'm a pro, VERY far from it.

But 6 years ago I caught my first 2 snapper in metro waters. The next 2 seasons were relatively consistent (at best maybe 25 fish).

The past 3-4 years if we came back with 12 fish total, i'd say we'd be lucky (with the largest being a 2-3kg specimen).

I've been saying it for many years, REC fishers have a very minor if not nothing to do with the demise of the fish stocks. 

Not all of us catch 1 let alone our limit when we go out. Not all of us have the big boats that can go out when the sea is average. The average REC fisher works 5-6 days a week and is limited to go out when the weather is good (mainly during the week it seems of late).

All the 'Pro's' know where the fish are. They do it everyday when seas permit. But the long liners are a different kettle of fish.

Once the sun goes down, they do what they want and where they want. I've seen them long line at Grange and at the Glenelg TR when season opens for the first 4 weeks. 

These should be off limits to the long liners. These were created for the Rec fishers!

The government should be creating man made reefs all around the coast to give ALL species a chance to hide  and reproduce rather than select places. Only a matter of time till the pro's find them with the quality of sounders that are out today and only getting better.

And it should be the same with the PRO crab boat too. Makes me sick seeing 50ft+ boat hauling 2x2m cages every 200m so close to metro waters. 

This too has repercussions to the snapper stocks as its a food source for the snapper.

Ok end of rant. 

Savage

What I cant work out about S.A. is - Melbourne is more densely populated - and the pollution running off our streets should be massive - and getting worse every year - but our recruitment  - according to media - has had some very positive years in the last 20 - our dud years coincide with huge rains hitting around spawning time - the EPA says you shouldnt even get your feet wet after a big rain - as our sewerage pipes over flow into the bay - I've seen the brown coming out of our rock groins after a big dump

Dont get me wrong - I used to fish whiting grass beds at the mouth of Port Phillip Bay in winter - we'd hit them every year - then I took a 15 year break to chase bream on lures  - then went back down to hit those grass beds for whiting.

The first thing that struck me as odd was - over a 15 year period - cockles/pippies had become about 15 times more expensive, at the same old bait shop, we used to stop in on the way to Queenscliff.

I put that down to inflation and traveled the 40kms to the ramp - we launched-  and headed out the mouth with nostalgia entering every receptive pore  - the sights - the  old smells of the docks and decaying weed were still there - this is what a coastal town smells like.

But once we got out the front - things got a little weird - we went to our never fail whiting mark and almost automatically anchored up on the leading edge of a grass bed that ran for 30kms all the way back to Geelong.

But we couldnt find the leading edge.

So we motored down looking for it

It wasnt there - there used to be a km wide strip of sea grass running the entire length of the peninsula - but it had vanished

We went out deeper looking for it in crystal clear water and it didnt exist - the whole basis of a whiting fishery had vanished.  - we caught no whiting that day

Dont get me wrong - I know environmental factors can have a huge influence on the presence of weed beds - and if you're looking for a villain - its easy to get political about it - but at the same time these grass beds disappeared - it happened to coincide with the dredging at the mouth of the bay.

Suddenly one of our most iconic beaches - Portsea front Beach - a 100 year old icon - (that had been the crown  in Victoria's foreshore)- got sucked away and had to be reinforced with huge sand bags

The beach was gone and the sand bags were put in place, not to restore the beach - it was to stop the buildings 50m from the water being sucked into the bay.

But to be fair - alot of ocean back beaches, lost a heap of sand over the same period - some of my child hood beaches lost so much sand they were down to bed-rock that used to have 3m of sand ontop of it.

So who knows whos to blame for what

The Minister has been living under a rock for the last 10 years. PIRSA had & has absolutely no idea. Pissing around with stupid rule changes has achieved nothing. Now they are worried about Snapper stocks...Bloody pathetic. This has been so obvious for many years & nothing done. Leave the Recs alone & ban the pros/commercials.....simple as that.

1 minute ago, Rybak said:

The Minister has been living under a rock for the last 10 years. PIRSA had & has absolutely no idea. Pissing around with stupid rule changes has achieved nothing. Now they are worried about Snapper stocks...Bloody pathetic. This has been so obvious for many years & nothing done. Leave the Recs alone & ban the pros/commercials.....simple as that.

Yeah S.A. still has to deal with the the effing disgraceful flows coming out of the Murray to prop up the cotton industry up stream.

I'd hate to see the traditional flows out the Murray mouth  -compared to the trickle is receives due to the mega dams upstream.

And those flows are 100% DECIDED BY POLITICIANS IN BED WITH THE COTTON INDUSTRY - THEY DONT EVEN DISPUTE IT - there are taped phone calls with the deputy director of the DPI which show him so far under the doona -  I cant undertand why he wasnt immediately sacked then put in jail

But he wasnt

The problem with politicians being watch dogs over a resource is -  the only resource they want to protect is the "Cash Cow" - so even if it is being exploited in an unsavory manor  - the "cow" must survive - just in a more palatable form. And accusing a fellow politician of taking too much "milk" may land you in hot water later when it comes time for your cup to be filled

I don't need to say anything more about this coz you have all already said it for me.

What I will say is that we sorely lack they have in other states and that is common sense where it is needed most.

Recreational fishing in SA is at least 30 years behind the rest of Australia in regards things like the stocking of fish species to replenish populations sufficiently to sustain commercial impacts. Rec fishos annual take rate is not the issue here in my opinion either.

We raped the Murray Cod to near extinction years ago and it seems history will repeat itself with snapper. 

And to make it worse RecFishSA has just had the funding for such ventures in our state cancelled.

We need to stop taking big breeders for a few years and hope maybe snapper numbers in SA recover, and get rid of high impact commercial fishing as well.

Otherwise another iconic fish species that we all love and respect will be a thing of the past.

The POWERS to be will dictate ,the whole thing ,WITH NO IDEA AT ALL , it is so sad that us rec .. fishos .. have so much passion ,in a sport that we love ,and spend lots of money and time ,trying to keep our habit alive ,only to be F@%$ed by government ,pirsa or what ever , WAKE THE F$#K UP , realize what is happening ,and realize something should have been done 10 years ago ,but no ,you are a bunch of low life scum in my mind ,have no idea about fishing ,just $$$$$$$$$$$$$, GET A GRIP AND LET US REC FISHOS HAVE A CHANCE ,absolutely  disgraceful ,...…..HOPE YOU CHOKE ON A BONE FROM IMPORTED FISH , oh sorry that would be from here MAYBE ????  A BIG JOKE END .  

😖 

• 2 weeks later...