New whiting fisher from North Haven

Hello , David here. My friend and I have recently retired and now want to do more fishing as we now have the time. We have a 14ft tinny and very awear of our restriction re wind and swell off north haven.  I would like to ask if anyone could give me some potential gps marks to try both for whiting and salmon trout. Thanking you in anticipation 

4 hours ago, Salmon Fisher said:

Hello , David here. My friend and I have recently retired and now want to do more fishing as we now have the time. We have a 14ft tinny and very awear of our restriction re wind and swell off north haven.  I would like to ask if anyone could give me some potential gps marks to try both for whiting and salmon trout. Thanking you in anticipation 

Hi Salmon Fisher and welcome.

Congratulations for you and your mate on retiring - so much more freedom and more time for fishing :D

I can't answer your Q's, as I don't own a boat etc, but I'm sure - well hopefully - someone can put you onto some nice spots for those KG's. 

As far as Salmon Trout is concerned, I reckon you could throw some metals around while your anchored in different spot - many are around at the moment.   Throw a lure out the back on your way out and maybe some bigger Salmon come to play.

Good Luck and if you get some good outings, we'd love to hear about it and even see some photos if you can.

Many years ago when I lived at North Haven I used to fish the areas marked on the map in a 12ft tinnie.. Don't know what it's like now days but back then it was very good fishing especially along the inside of the outer break wall (revetment wall as it was called back then) The area outside was great for whiting as well, fishing the white patches in the weed area.. Like I said that was a long time ago though..

cheers

Adrian

1166995293_OuterHarbor.jpg.ebfb48a9b183868439098ff74099b24b.jpg

Jump in the car and drive north to a little town called Price,it is SA,s best kept secret for small boats as it can be fished in all weather conditions.There is a channel just out from the mouth of the creek that has exposed sand bars on either side when the tide is at its lowest that's where you fish.About midway through the runout tide is the time to fish.Over the years I have spent there using half pillies on ganged 2/os I have landed a multitude of spieces,including salmon trout(not small ones either) in their masses,snook,huge mullet,big yellow fin,monster flatties,eagle ray,elephant shark,mulloway, all on the run out tide.On the in coming tide I move to the end of the channel where it meets the ocean,this is where the KGs hang out in the shallow murky water, I use cockles there.Then I move in closer around the the 2 marker poles on the sand flats where I finish the day off with a feed of yellowfin and bream on worms.I haven't fished there for a few years after losing my fishing buddy and good mate to a sudden heart attack aged 40.Give it a crack life is too short not to.

7 hours ago, jackmac said:

Jump in the car and drive north to a little town called Price,it is SA,s best kept secret for small boats as it can be fished in all weather conditions.There is a channel just out from the mouth of the creek that has exposed sand bars on either side when the tide is at its lowest that's where you fish.About midway through the runout tide is the time to fish.Over the years I have spent there using half pillies on ganged 2/os I have landed a multitude of spieces,including salmon trout(not small ones either) in their masses,snook,huge mullet,big yellow fin,monster flatties,eagle ray,elephant shark,mulloway, all on the run out tide.On the in coming tide I move to the end of the channel where it meets the ocean,this is where the KGs hang out in the shallow murky water, I use cockles there.Then I move in closer around the the 2 marker poles on the sand flats where I finish the day off with a feed of yellowfin and bream on worms.I haven't fished there for a few years after losing my fishing buddy and good mate to a sudden heart attack aged 40.Give it a crack life is too short not to.

would have to be my second favorite place on the yorks to fish the salmon at the mouth are everywhere just a magical spot to fish 👍👍

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, Meppstas said:

Many years ago when I lived at North Haven I used to fish the areas marked on the map in a 12ft tinnie.. Don't know what it's like now days but back then it was very good fishing especially along the inside of the outer break wall (revetment wall as it was called back then) The area outside was great for whiting as well, fishing the white patches in the weed area.. Like I said that was a long time ago though..

I fish those spots a bit, still catch the same species though never a legal sized whiting. but salmon trout fishing is still good and you get the odd flathead, bream trevally tommies gar puffers and cow fish

Haven't been down there since the dredging started though