Get your line on tight

I'm predominantly light line user - so I never really though about how much tension -"running the line through my fingers" while spooling - was putting on the line

I imagine its well under a kilo - but I havent tested it. But it is something I will be thinking about in the future on all reels.

If I'm going to be running 3kg of drag on an outfit - the line should be spooled on with 3kg of tension.

I spool mono through my gloved fingers with some tension, but have no idea what that tension would be.

I'll spool braid with more tension through my gloved fingers though due to not wanting the braid to be loose and creating knots/bird nest within a few casts.

But one thing I don't know how to or understand, is using xkg of drag on the reel.  Twisting that dial to get a certain drag in weight tension is beyond me, so I just tighten or loosen as necessary :lol: 

When you put mono on a reel you don't want to put any stretch in the line. Just using your fingers is enough to get it on firmly but not overly tight.

Braid should be put on the reel with as much tension as possible. It has no stretch and getting it on tightly will eliminate lots of issues. I use the phone book method.

Find a phone book (I've got one I kept just for this job). Set the drag on the reel pretty high. Run the line through the middle on the book and put weight on top until the rod bends under the pressure of winding. I use boxes of jigs usually. Obviously the amount of weight needed will vary depending on the outfit and line strength.

14 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

One issue I can see is - if you dont have a spooling machine - getting that sort of tension by winding line on with the reel might do some damage to the reels gears - because you never real it on that tight while fighting a fish

ie - you dont wind line on while the drag is running

If your reel's gears get damaged winding on line under tension then it's a piece of crap. 😉

4 hours ago, plankton said:

When you put mono on a reel you don't want to put any stretch in the line. Just using your fingers is enough to get it on firmly but not overly tight.

Braid should be put on the reel with as much tension as possible. It has no stretch and getting it on tightly will eliminate lots of issues. I use the phone book method.

Find a phone book (I've got one I kept just for this job). Set the drag on the reel pretty high. Run the line through the middle on the book and put weight on top until the rod bends under the pressure of winding. I use boxes of jigs usually. Obviously the amount of weight needed will vary depending on the outfit and line strength.

Yeah the reason I swallowed everything being said in that vid is because it was being said by Peter Pakula -  he's always struck me as a thinking angler with many years of experience.

It would be interesting to see how much drag is added by the yellow pages method - I might just give it a crack - thanks

Pakula did mention you can turn 8kg mono line into 5.5kg line through friction during the spooling process. I usually use wet gloves to counteract this - I also used to submerge my braid spools in water while spooling but I've been told this can cause problems with spool corrosion - I've never experienced any - but some blokes recommend against it

894.jpg

895.jpg

896.jpg

897.jpg

5 hours ago, plankton said:

If your reel's gears get damaged winding on line under tension then it's a piece of crap. 😉

Yeah theres every chance of that - but it is rare to find a manufacturer that doesnt recommend the pump and wind technique when retrieving line.

If you try to use a reel as a "recovery winch" against heavy drags - it going to age many times faster than one that is used correctly - thats what I was referring to when I mentioned "damage to gears". Maybe I should have said "Premature aging"😉

You could do a few years worth of wear and tear just spooling up against a heavy drag - because if you pump and wind while fishing - your gears would never see that sort of pressure in the field

Obviously the pressures you're using dont make this a problem - but the heavier the setting - the more potential for wear and tare while spooling up

Ok so the results are in - results may differ depending on whose cook book you use😉

Couldnt find any phone books, so I had to use a heavy cook book

With 8lb braid and no weight - dragging the line through took about 115g of pull
with a 4kg weight - about 320g

with 40lb braid and no weight - about 240g
with 4kg of weight - about 660g
with 8kg of weight - abut 1kg

530.jpg