fishing the onkaparinga

Not my neck of the woods mate but I might be able to help.

Bream love live bloodworms and it doesn't matter where you fish they go nuts for them.

Try find someone that still has them otherwise you might be better off chucking some lures at them.

And you need to know where to find them to do this.

Bream can be very fussy and shut down a bit this time of year but in a month or two they will start heading upstream to spawn but this also starts getting into the closed season for targeting them up there.

Your best bet might be to target sea run bream further down the Onk mouth and fishing there will get you other species as extras.

Been using weedless Z-man grubs with TT snakelock jigheads which help cover distance when you use 1/8th weights or more and they don't foul up or snag easily.

Bream chase grubs right up to the rod but take a few colours to use til you figure out what pins them.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Tinker is spot on with lures go slow slow and slower and pause .

if it helps I count to four in my head wind once or twice pause count four repeat .

what I’ve learnt in winter in west lakes yes I caught one winter bream go deeper water . 

Unless your using bait watched a west lakes bait fisher get four over 30 with mince meat on a west lakes beach .

you might get luckier in warmer weather but I don’t fish the onk

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

Not my neck of the woods mate but I might be able to help.

Bream love live bloodworms and it doesn't matter where you fish they go nuts for them.

Try find someone that still has them otherwise you might be better off chucking some lures at them.

And you need to know where to find them to do this.

Bream can be very fussy and shut down a bit this time of year but in a month or two they will start heading upstream to spawn but this also starts getting into the closed season for targeting them up there.

Your best bet might be to target sea run bream further down the Onk mouth and fishing there will get you other species as extras.

Been using weedless Z-man grubs with TT snakelock jigheads which help cover distance when you use 1/8th weights or more and they don't foul up or snag easily.

Bream chase grubs right up to the rod but take a few colours to use til you figure out what pins them.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

If you use plastics like grubs or  slim swimz ect do not just use one colour because bream will take more than just motor oil .

hardbodies years ago I learned what worked in the Pat didn’t always work in west lakes vice a versa as well . Or last year I bought a dark green hardbody matches almost a plastics colour nothing would touch it in west lakes but the Pat first fish to take I bream . I bought the same lure in grey bream STs and mullet in the Pat just mullet in west lakes 

guess what I’m saying is experimenting with lure colours can help 

Below is an map of where I have good success on catching Bream on baits. Resident Bream always inhabit these areas so your always in with a good chance of some nice bream. 

method i use is virtually a swivel tied to my main line. with between 2lb and 4lb leader line to 2 snelled size 2 or 4 hooks with either a whole whitebait or prawn with a half hitch tied on the tail. I like fish upstream of the river because of the low tidal movements, the abundance of Resident fish and the fact there are plenty of spots to easily access and fish from. Plus there is plenty of Snags and structure for the fish to hold too.... 

aaa.png

It’s a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the Onk. The fish are always there but most of the time it feels like they aren’t. It does seem like it’s shut down the last couple of months. I’ve caught most of my bream on hardbodies in the Onk but started out getting them on soft plastic. Definitely pays to mix it up in regards to lure choice and cover as much ground as you can.