Removal of boat ramp & parking fees...

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a long time coming, with some big hurdles to get over along the way but it was achievable by the state government seeing how recreational fishing influences the local economy,  recreational fishermen have been screaming at the government since the introduction of the need of fishing licenses for non inland fishing.

Since the government has taken a positive attitude to not only recreational fishing but the needs of the fish there has been some exciting changes made in Victoria. Im not sure how many make the media in S.A but you have heard of port phillip bay being commercial free by 2022 along with corio, western port and the lakes at lakes entrance, there are also reefs being established, not just fishing reefs but reef for oysters that were wiped out many years ago.

A lot has changed in our waters over the last 2 decades and the latest being the removal of parking and launching fees. I think all states should look into doing something similar, introduce a fishing license for all fishing but not as another tax but to improve the state of the water health throughout the state, improve the state of launching facilities, take out further scientific studies into marine life to stop things like you now face, basically look for ways to better manage our fisheries, and i say our fisheries as im Australian and a lot of the fish i catch don't just live in Victoria. 

So the removal of parking and launching fees is just a very small part of the big picture, now is the perfect time to ask your state government to take a better responsible attitude towards the S.A fisherie not just the snapper issue, i had my say on the "have your say" site and i opposed the statewide ban, i also stayed neutral to the part ban, and in the comments section explain that if it's determined that the selected responses were necessary then thats fine by me, but i also said they need to take a better look into the commercial fishing structure and how much this affects the mortality rates are for under sized fish being returned after capture this also included netting of any kind, there were lots of other things but i don't need to bore you anymore. Just food for thought😉 

Interesting comments peatop. The problem in SA is that the tossers that run the fisheries here just do not listen to anyone. They have all these public consultations etc etc which mean absolutely nothing & all a waste of time whilst in the meantime the fish keep getting rapped. They cannot put together a sensible plan together at all. Its all just smoke & mirrors whilst they bumble around BS ideas. Unfortunately they have no idea in SA as is evident from the nightmare they are in now. Its just so frustrating that it is not funny anymore. There is just no confidence here at all in anything they propose. 

Rybak i hear what your saying, and sadly it has been said often about the SA state government, we in vic had the same issues but someone made the first move in the right direction at some point, im hoping that the current proposal whatever they choose is not smoke and mirrors, i hope they use the time as they say and invest an investigate how to better manage our fisheries, in their proposal they said they would investigate the success other states and NZ are having, but this also is upto us the fishers, recreational, commercial and charter to maintain a sustainable fishery, i include myself as we/our as fish know no borders😉 and to quote the SA report a lot of the SA snapper actually come from port phillip bay, i somewhat hope this to be true as this will help in the replenishment of the SA stocks.

I was talking to Minni earlier this year and he was telling me about a GWS that was a local to the area he fished and somewhat friendly  (if you can call a GWS friendly 😮) anyway he said he and a couple of guys were out fishing one day and this friendly GWS attacked one of the kayaks, Minni went on to tell me that this shark had been getting progressively aggressive, could this be because of the lack of available food? Who knows! But if the snapper disappear what other species will follow?  And so on.

Basically it's up to all of us to offer support to our fishery, catch and release, should every fishing vessel carry release weights, should we release all fish over a certain size species dependant, the maximum sized snapper i keep is 50cm but my target is 30 - 40 as over that they are not that good eating imo.

I know how you feel with a government that you are loosing confidence in, but isn't it upto us to tell them we are not happy about this mismanagement? I know it's hard to get deaf ears to listen but we need to shout louder😉 keep your chin up as it's inevitable that they will get it right, we just hope it's sooner than later👍