I was trying to explain a set of wheels i made for my old yak on a post Softy has started, and thought rather than hijack his post i would post it here.

I got this design from vic kayak fishing (vyak.net), used items. 2 green machine wheels  (kmart $8 each), a length of 12mm allthread, 4 m12 nuts and washers for axel, a length of 25mm ID high pressure pvc pipe, 4 pvc T joiners one 10mm waterproof yoga matt (high density) pvc cleaner and glue, a 1 ltr tin tarzan grip or similar glue. Optional 25mm dowel, to strengthen axel in pvc and spaces as required.20190811_161847.jpg.8e9fec5714b2bacdc98f5de3bd634f7c.jpg20190811_161903.jpg.3462814549d89e46e5523dafc3bf30ab.jpg

Note the bottom T peices could be attached 90° this is where you would glue a peice of dowel in each side of the frame (and inside the cross peice) to support the axel, the risers must pass though the top of the scupper so you can put a stopper though to stop the wheels falling out when lifting the yak.

When gluing the foam on, both sufaces must clean have glue on them, allow the glue to dry to tacky before joining, then just wrap them around until your happy with the diameter of the wheel, the diameter you require must be taken into consideration when making the frame, make the first secion (risers to first cross member then put this in your upturned yak to measure the spaces for the second (axel) cross member, pay attention when gluing, as once you join the peices they can't be taken apart, when you have worked out the diameter of you wheels thus the hight of the spacer peices, now decide whether you are adding spacers inside the axel cross member or not, as a guide under 20kg you shouldn't need them, if your going to be dragging you 20kg yak and gear over rough terrain then have the T peices on the flat and have one or two spaces inside the cross member and one in the outside of each T peice.

How much padding? The yoga matt padding has to advantages, to increase the diameter of the wheels and make them soft enough to cushion the ride, the bigger the diameter the easier it is to move the trolly, the padding makes it easier to move the trolly over rough terrain, but there's no need going rediculously big on the diameter  (remember it still needs to fit in the car)

Hope this explains the how to 😉

When i got my hobie PA beach wheels where part of the deal, so i haven't used them much since buying the hobie but I've been tempted on many occasion to change the wheels over, the only time I've taken the wheels onboard was in the rear handle bar of the PA and this is not a good outcome, everything seems to like to tangle around them under the water.

The problem with all yaks is there are no scupper hole in the rear of the tub behind the seat so if you carry anything in the tub the wheels just get in the way. Like you i always return them to the car, actually if you carry the wheels onboard on the PA you cant use the rear rod holders😩

• 2 weeks later...

Some yaks and wheel designs work well to carry them, there is one that uses the beach wheels and a cross member that works a treat on the PA but it's from the USA so way to exspencive, im happy to run mine back to the car at this stage but will have to look at something when doing a yak camping trip where the wheels need to come.