Thunder Heat Elite Shark DeHooker

24 minutes ago, peatop said:

Just like a Shepards croc😉 i watch a guy drag a largish schoolie into his yak😮 scarey where it first landed was ok as i think he already had kids😉

Yeah I get scared while trying to take a lure out of a bream, so I cringe when I see people playing with sharks

I cant guarantee the first shark wouldnt chomp straight through the golf club handle😉 - but I built one to see how useful that weird hook could be for backing out big lures - it would be a handy tool if made properly😉

Looked pretty good to me, i think a ss or aluminum shaft, fiberglass or carbon fiber would be to week if things went south, so far I've been lucky enough that they've bitten through the fluoro leader not sure what I'll do when i go chase some Mackerel and hookup to a toothy? Lol maybe a pair of long handle bolt cutters or 🤔 a dental drill and scare them to death😉

44 minutes ago, peatop said:

Looked pretty good to me, i think a ss or aluminum shaft, fiberglass or carbon fiber would be to week if things went south, so far I've been lucky enough that they've bitten through the fluoro leader not sure what I'll do when i go chase some Mackerel and hookup to a toothy? Lol maybe a pair of long handle bolt cutters or 🤔 a dental drill and scare them to death😉

Haha - Yeah at least you always have a knife to cut the line

I just whipped one up out of stuff I had lying around in the garage. My mate trolls behind a yacht, so I figure a longish pole that could deal with lures would be best -

But I like the versatility of the Shepherds crook design allowing 2 types of removal

SS shaft would be the go

Heres some commercially produced variants.

I did watch a vid where a guy welds half a chain link to some 16mm rebar - it would take a megladon to go through that😉

317.jpg

316.jpg

315.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sharks are a menace up here when floating out pillies for mackerel. If they eat the pillie you think you've hooked the mother-of-all-macks, but mostly they eat the mackerel after you hook up. I gaff the hooks on those littlies I do get boatside and let the shark bend them open to release. Not easy, and not good for the shark. Yours is a good idea, but more clutter for the tinny on top of the net and gaff (both of which seem to leap up and play trip-n-tangle when stumbling around fighting a decent fish). I reckon weld up a "crook" onto the bottom of gaff hook. Bottom of the hook gape so it does not foul the line when missing the gaff shot, and facing in an opposing direction to help "push" the hook(s) out.

shark.shot.it.sml.jpg

benthooks.sml.jpg

10 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

Sharks are a menace up here when floating out pillies for mackerel. If they eat the pillie you think you've hooked the mother-of-all-macks, but mostly they eat the mackerel after you hook up. I gaff the hooks on those littlies I do get boatside and let the shark bend them open to release. Not easy, and not good for the shark. Yours is a good idea, but more clutter for the tinny on top of the net and gaff (both of which seem to leap up and play trip-n-tangle when stumbling around fighting a decent fish). I reckon weld up a "crook" onto the bottom of gaff hook. Bottom of the hook gape so it does not foul the line when missing the gaff shot, and facing in an opposing direction to help "push" the hook(s) out.

shark.shot.it.sml.jpg

benthooks.sml.jpg

Yeah If I could weld - my dodgy bit of diy would be dangerous😉

I'm all for multi use items - your plan sounds like a very good idea

Heres a bullet proof version from a bloke who can weld - couldnt be to hard to weld half a chain link to a gaff if you had the skills

145.jpg

I generally use a 30lb trace which ensures toothy critters tend to bite me off pretty quick as I don't really want to be landing anything too big and toothy in my yak, especially in SA.

On 26/08/2019 at 7:23 PM, peatop said:

Don't worry mate, if your talking about SWR in March, I had no issues up there last year as the sharks that took my mackerel lines with wire traces were only reef sharks to about 5 foot. I'm sure there's some bigger ones around, in fact this one Shane caught was a reasonable size.

Shanes_SWRBullShark.jpg.49cce309c799e0eb9cad28b9c296d1f1.jpg

Dave

2 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Heres a bullet proof version from a bloke who can weld - couldnt be to hard to weld half a chain link to a gaff if you had the skills

145.jpg

I will give it a go and post a pic here when I do it. I bent up some heavy 316 stainless rod to make my own gaff, using heat and a piece of water pipe as a sleeve-lever. I have some SS chain and thinner rod I can cut to make the "crook" to weld under the gaff hook. Thanks for sharing the idea! All the net closures and license buybacks from NSW up to the Cape have certainly been a boon to rec .fishers in many ways -- but they have released the inshore bull shark/pig-eye shark pups from a major source of mortality. They were a significant gillnet bycatch and sold as "flake" (fillets) in the local market. Now folk are being sharked like crazy by "bull sharks" offshore. Tagged bulls (acoustic tags) have gone from Botany Bay to Townsville, and from Cairns/Townsville back down to NSW. I even saw a shark get "sharked". Anglers in sthn WA eat little "bronzies", but Qlders scorn shark. If we ate some little bulls caught in the creeks we might dent the population a bit. Here are some bits I "got back"

shark_attack2B.jpg

shark1.sml.jpg

@Aussie Dave yeah im hoping to do the SWR trip this year/season sharks don't bother me, i seem to catch my fair share of toothies, i did purchase a shark shield this year and adapted it to run off my 17.5 Ah kayak battery, after talking to minni in portland about near misses and it has also been heavily discussed in vyak at times, but yeah it all about the release, how to release them with no injuries to them or myself😉 a lot of my fishing is done with circle hooks so it's a matter or cutting the line as close as possible to the hook🤔 count your fingers after it's done lol

• 3 months later...
On 24/10/2019 at 7:49 AM, yellow door 1 said:

145.jpg

I built on your by-catch de-hooking device and saved room by welding it to my gaff. Gaff and dehooker all made from scrounged 316 SS rod. Pokes the hook out while they are still in the water boatside. Field-tested today on a big barracuda, but failed on a long-tom which had the whole hook inside its mouth. Worked today (in practice!) on a circle hook by pushing whole hook (and trace) back through the jaw, then I opened the swivel to free the trace. "J"hooks will go straight back out the way they came in (in theory, anyway). Better than trying to gaff the gang hooks away from angry sharks, I hope.

I did learn that lots of tension has to be placed on the line in one hand, gaff in the other, with rod in holder...and that the dehooker will probably only work if the hook point is accessible.

IMG_20200125_114514.jpg

IMG_20200125_122745.jpg

dehooker1.jpg