That's one beautiful size reddie & in great condition too..  I used to catch some large ones like that many years ago in the lower Torrens River in the Underdale area.. probably full of carp now days.. Finniss River used to hold some decent ones back then too...

cheers

Adrian

No photos but my best was up at the Warren in the good old days.

42cm and fat and healthy caught on an 8" scrubby.

I would say your fish is in the high 40s and pushing 2kg or over.

Stunning redfin mate and congrats on a new PB.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

My bad. Forgot you said it was pushing 40.

Looks huge.

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

My bad. Forgot you said it was pushing 40.

Looks huge.

Unfortunately, I didn't measure this one ( how stupid of me )  so 40cm was a guess, was a chunky fish which took the lure  1 metre from my feet from the undercut was awesome to watch it scoff the plastic

Yeah most of mine lately have been on weedless Z-man grubs in shimmer pearl and midnight oil.

This fish got pinned by my mate on a shimmer pearl and then went for my grub on the way in.

And three big lunker redfin followed it in to see what all the fuss was about.

Well fed fish.ed4254ed67a12599ebde1c96014ac38d.jpg

1/12 snakelocks in weedless.

Sometimes use 1/8 in the larger waters to cover more ground.

Another way to use them is to remove the weight at the front and fish unweighted but even though you still get good casting distance Z-mans are buoyant and don't get down in front of the fish as well.

Been experimenting with small splitshots on the leader 10cm from the lure when fishing unweighted.

Floats the plastics above the weedbeds.

4 hours ago, Tinker said:

Yeah most of mine lately have been on weedless Z-man grubs in shimmer pearl and midnight oil.

This fish got pinned by my mate on a shimmer pearl and then went for my grub on the way in.

And three big lunker redfin followed it in to see what all the fuss was about.

Well fed fish.ed4254ed67a12599ebde1c96014ac38d.jpg

cracker fish, I wonder what the food source is have not seen many mosquito fish or galaxias lately... if you are fishing the area I think you are ...

35 minutes ago, styla said:

3 Reddies in a sesh over 40 thats some fine angling there Braids

Cheers mate..... 

All fell to a pink Z man Grub.... All 3 were caught in the exact spot each cast. Not sure if they were doing there "thing" or was just right place right time.... Also noticed it was just before a big storm was forming... Barometric pressure might of had something to do with it... 

1 hour ago, Wadey said:

Nice looking fish there guys . 

Correct me if I’m wrong but Redfin are a pest aren’t they and can’t be returned to the water ? 

Im assuming you catch them to eat  ? What do they taste like ? 

Just curious 

Good work any way guys 

Reddies are delicious Wadey

nice white flesh, easy skin to remove

bit of butter lemon and dill and youre laughing

On 26/08/2019 at 9:45 PM, Meppstas said:

That's one beautiful size reddie & in great condition too..  I used to catch some large ones like that many years ago in the lower Torrens River in the Underdale area.. probably full of carp now days.. Finniss River used to hold some decent ones back then too...

cheers

Adrian

Adrian you must be older than me . Underdale was carp when I was young but a rep that would call into my job would tell me stories of Redfin there . 

On 28/08/2019 at 8:43 PM, AquaticResearch1 said:

Biggest I've weighed was 2.1kg and a touch over 50cm, but that wasnt caught on rod and line. 

Found a photo of the big girl. She may have seen even better days previously, judging by the size of her head, but what a beast it was. 

IMG_20190831_182347.jpg.56bfb3a0b3025646a1929808fed57557.jpg

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

I've never caught one 

No way! 

Not one in all your fresh water fishing exploits?

Damn things are everywhere and have suicidal tendencies when it comes to a hook attached to line.

I reckon I've caught more of them than any other freshwater fish (best a measly 36cm in the torrens) and never once actually targeted them.

I'm also pretty sure you've done more fresh water fishing than me (not difficult) so to me this is an achievement almost the equal of those monster reddies.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bjorn2fish
      METRO
      Crabs are still going OK around Semaphore and The Black Pole. Water temps have dropped markably meaning the whiting should now show up during the low and high periods. This is a great time of year when the weather is right where if it calm in the morning it would probably be calm all day. Some nice whiting have come from the Star Wreck, Cabbage Patch, Grange Tyre Reef, West Beach ground, South of Brighton and out from Stanvac. Crabs can still be caught from the Black Pole, Shipping Channel. Largs and Semaphore. Squid are in full swing out from West Beach, Semaphore, Largs, Black Pole and Marino as this is the time where they are breeding and are very aggressive. Port River has plenty of salmon trout between the North Arm and St Kilda. Nice bream have been caught from the Port ramp towards the Birkenhead Tavern. Mullet are still being caught near the mouths of the creeks within the Port River system. West lakes has bream near the rowing club along with some nice soapies. Snook have been thin but there are still a lot between the Black Pole towards St Kilda. Snapper have been great some days but nothing others. Persistence is the key. Best places are No 5 Beacon in the shipping channel, Glenelg breakwater, Stanvac Barges and the Broadway grounds

YORKE PENINSULA
      Port Broughton has plenty of salmon trout, snook, tommies and garfish in the channels. Wallaroo has small mulloway in the marina along with some bream. Crabs are still doing well off the jetty and North Beach. Squid are off the jetty and south of Wallaroo towards Bird Islands. Port Hughes has been doing well in the southern bay for whiting and big garfish, The Light still has plenty of nice sic garfish. Tippera Reef has small snapper south side in 5-6 metres of water. Balgowan has big whiting north towards the cliffs and south towards Chinaman’s. Snapper catches have improved out wide 40KMS SW of Balgowan with fish coming in at 8-9 Kilos. Whiting have now moved in with great catches at Port Hughes, Port Vic, Hardwick Bay, Point Turton, Edithburge and even Stansbury south of the spit. Squid have really fired with squid coming from Clinton, Ardrossan, Port Vincent, Stansbury, Edithburgh, Turton, Hardwick Bay, Port Vic, Port Hughes and Wallaroo.

SOUTH
      Waits has produced a mix of salmon trout and salmon and Salt Creek is still firing on the mulloway towards the TEA TREE

FRESHWATER
      Callop are doing very well along the Murray from Cobdogla down towards Mannum.
      Sorry for the short version but haven’t been well so this is the least I ca provide for my followers. Hope to do better next week when I fully recover.

Tight Lines from The Dorsal Fin Team

• By bjorn2fish
      Metro
      Some nice squid have been coming from West Beach, Semaphore, Largs and east of the Black Pole. Whiting are being caught at Black Pole, Norma, Bower Road ground, Grange and bigger fish out from West Beach. Crabs are slowing but there is still a good feed to be had at the Silt grounds, Semaphore and Largs. Snapper are being caught around the shipping channel, near the John Robb, ballast ground, the Broadway and out from O'Sullivan's around the barge. Port river has plenty of salmon trout from the North Arm through to the St Kilda breakwater. Some nice bream are being caught near the North Arm wrecks, Port Adelaide sailing club and north towards the Port bridges. West Lakes has mullet, bream and some small mulloway. For the jetty and beach anglers there are still some mullet and tommies and squid off Brighton, Grange and Semaphore jetties.
      Yorke Peninsula
      Snapper are coming from Ardrossan, Port Hughes, Chinamans, Corny Point, Edithburgh, out wide from Port Broughton and north of the Orontes. Whiting have picked up at Port Hughes, Balgowan, Port Vic, Edithburgh and Stansbury. Down the bottom of the foot there are salmon and mullet. Marion Bay jetty has squid and tommies. Butlers has salmon and mullet. Squid are coming from Port Vincent, south of Ardrossan, Pine Point, Stansbury, Point Turton, Hardwick Bay, Port Vic, port Hughes and Wallaroo. Crabs are still doing well at Clinton, Ardrossan, Port Vincent, Black Point and Port Broughton.

South
      Salmon are coming from Waitpinga and Salt Creek. Rapid Bay has squid, tommies and some garfish. Second Valley has squid and tommies. Bluff jetty has some squid. Mulloway are still coming from Salt Creek beaches and the Coorong has mullet, bream near the Mondoo Channel and small mulloway near the dredge and east towards Mundoo.

Freshwater
      Some nice size callop are coming from Cobdogla, Big Bend, Castles Landing, Blanchetown and around Cadel.

Tight lines from The Dorsal Fin Team