What fishing gear do you purchase?

Hi all. 

Just out of pure curiosity when you need to buy new fishing gear whether it be rods, reels, line, terminal tackle etc. 

What do you look for? Are you a one eyed brand named fan eg. Daiwa/Shitmano..... I mean Shimano..... Do you just buy whatever is on special? Ever purchased unnamed branded items? 

Would you buy an unnamed brand if it looked decent and was at a good price? 

Would love to hear your thoughts and views on this.....

I bought a 4 piece travel rod 17-24 pound , light as and love it , $27 delivered to my door , and matched it with a 3000 reel , CAPICI ,13+ball bearings spinning reel $32 delivered to my door , loaded with Mongrel 15lb braid .

Worked a treat on the salmon , and is kept in my boot with a handle full of lures ,just in case a school is spotted while driving .

Both rod and reel have been fine , and love the set up myself cheers

31 minutes ago, lofty64 said:

I bought a 4 piece travel rod 17-24 pound , light as and love it , $27 delivered to my door , and matched it with a 3000 reel , CAPICI ,13+ball bearings spinning reel $32 delivered to my door , loaded with Mongrel 15lb braid .

Worked a treat on the salmon , and is kept in my boot with a handle full of lures ,just in case a school is spotted while driving .

Both rod and reel have been fine , and love the set up myself cheers

Thanks mate... Appreciate the feed back 

2 hours ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Hi all. 

Just out of pure curiosity when you need to buy new fishing gear whether it be rods, reels, line, terminal tackle etc. 

What do you look for? Are you a one eyed brand named fan eg. Daiwa/Shitmano..... I mean Shimano..... Do you just buy whatever is on special? Ever purchased unnamed branded items? 

Sitting back thinking how to answer these questions as they go in all directions and could be a lengthy reply,so the best i came up with is..

Yes i did and do all the above

1 minute ago, SurfcaztR said:

Sitting back thinking how to answer these questions as they go in all directions and could be a lengthy reply,so the best i came up with is..

Yes i did and do all the above

cheers mate. Just looking at a general idea of how people go about buying gear.... Got a few things up my sleeve. just getting ideas and opinions from fellow fishos

4 hours ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Hi all. 

With rods and reels I tend to stick with Daiwa Shimano Pfluegars and Abu.

I used to spend more but these days I dont like spending over $125 on either a rod or reel - but I will stretch that for some of my light lure set ups. (no more than $200)

My braid and fluoro is Kast King - Super cheap and has passed all my strength and in the field tests. I can top shot my reels with 100m of braid for about $4 with a limp braid, that out performs braids 20 times the price

I use alot of plastic lures these days and most of them are just cheapies off ali express or ebay - I did go through a phase of using ZMans to over come rips and tears on small pinkies but little pinks still rip of a zman single tail. So i just went back to cheapies

Jigs heads are ALi express and abay cheapies for the most part - I just use a diamond file to put a needle point on them and they do the job

Same with weedless hooks and bait hooks - all aliexpress/ebay cheapies - I run them through some pretty rigorous testing with scales and in water longevity test - there are some primo quality hooks out there that are 20 times cheaper.

And I tend to tinker around making some of my own stuff like floats weighted weedless hooks and sinkers

9 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

With rods and reels I tend to stick with Daiwa Shimano Pfluegars and Abu.

I used to spend more but these days I dont like spending over $125 on either a rod or reel - but I will stretch that for some of my light lure set ups. (no more than $200)

My braid and fluoro is Kast King - Super cheap and has passed all my strength and in the field tests. I can top shot my reels with 100m of braid for about $4 with a limp braid, that out performs braids 20 times the price

I use alot of plastic lures these days and most of them are just cheapies off ali express or ebay - I did go through a phase of using ZMans to over come rips and tears on small pinkies but little pinks still rip of a zman single tail. So i just went back to cheapies

Jigs heads are ALi express and abay cheapies for the most part - I just use a diamond file to put a needle point on them and they do the job

Same with weedless hooks and bait hooks - all aliexpress/ebay cheapies - I run them through some pretty rigorous testing with scales and in water longevity test - there are some primo quality hooks out there that are 20 times cheaper.

And I tend to tinker around making some of my own stuff like floats weighted weedless hooks and sinkers

Thanks mate! Exactly what i wanted to hear!!

With rods, I generally stay with the bigger brands and don't spend more than $100.

With reels, I also  stick with brands - particularly in the bigger models that have a bait runner function.

With the smaller ones, I also stick with a brand but try to get them as cheap as possible. I used to get them from the states but with the dollar the way it is, not worth it anymore. Given this, I normally wait for the big sales (such as complete angler) and when they have them running out (normally between $20 and $30), I'll buy a dozen of them. Yes, they might only last a few seasons before dying but them throw it out and open another box :) Chasing smaller fish, it doesn't matter that they have limited ball bearings and also doesn't matter if the little one breaks it!

BUT in relation to terminal tackle, I generally go for the better branded hooks (diachi and black magic), swivels (black magic) and fishing line (maxima). I tried some of the cheapie tackle and have been let down a few times when a bigger fish takes it, so don't take the risk anymore. I also generally don't reuse my terminal tackle, so again, buy them in bulk when on sale :)

Fishing can be as cheap or as expensive as the wife allows....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

David

I'm quite happy to use cheaper reels for smaller fish but I generally use known 'brands'.  For larger fish it has  be a good quality reel  ---  usually known. ABU and Penn mostly.  I do have a couple of unknowns that perform-- but I only got them coz they were bloody cheap and were worth the risk.   I gave up buying home brand combos after a bad experience with 2 x 'snake brand' outfits.  Similarly 'snake' hooks and swivels have a short 'in use' life..... but I still have a lot in reserve...

I have a lot (yes... a lot!!) of ebay braid..... and have never had it let me down.

I'm happy to buy cheaper 'un known' rods as long as I like the feel and they are VERY cheap.   So far-- so good...   but if a 'name' comes up at a good price  I get it.

A few years ago I bought a lot of used reels from a Qld deceased estate.... mostly game reels.     I'll never use all these... but gee--- they look good when I hang them off the rod racks on the boat!!!

THe 'finance officer' is always vigilant about the fishing gear she sees... so I have 3 lots.... 1 at the chalet-- a large collection coz " I have to cater for visitors without their own gear'..... and 2 places at home... " I need that in case I go out locally"... and  " dont go in there... its full of rats and spiders  ......"

For rods & reels I stick to proven brands and am very much a quality over quantity person.

For the most part I work to a price range of $150 - $200 p/item. If there is something im seriously keen on that is outside that range, ill wait till its on sale (Boxing day, Easter, Fin Year etc.).

Reels I tend to gravitate towards Shimano, in particular the Stradic. 

Rod wise Im a mixed bag, Shimano, Samaki, Atomic etc. but my preference is currently Samaki. 

Terminal tackle I stick to proven brands, Owner, Gamakatsu, BKK, Decoy etc. 

TL

I’m generally a shimano man with a bit of Diawa and Abu 

mostly spend $150 to $250 but look for specials

my favourite reels are the shimano Stradic but have a couple of Diawas I love

when it comes to rods diawa outshine shimano in the pricing I buy

to contradict everything about my absolute favourite rod is my little 6 foot bream rod which is a 1-3kg Azusa

it is so light but strong 

Being a Queenslander, I was weened on Alvey gear and used nothing but Alvey until I made the monumental jump to a Shimano Bantam baitcaster sometime in the late 80's and it was a game changer for me. I've still got that reel somewhere. Since then, I've used mainly Shimano and Penn with the occasional ABU, but after having some crappy Daiwa reels, I've steered well clear of them.

With rods I stick with Shimano for most of my light gear and for the heavier stuff I'm a full blown barking mad Ugly Stik supporter - they take the hard knocks of bouncing around in the back of the ute better than most.

I rarely look for specials with gear, once I've researched what I want and where to get it, then I'm on a mission to own it.

I would be hesitant to buy any unbranded reel. Factories in China pump them out in the thousands.

However, if somebody got a decent sample size to retail here and thoroughly tested it, like flogged it to death, recorded it and was willing to stand by the product I would probably give it a go. But then, if it was cheap, there is no guarantee that QC will be consistent across every reel. And anybody who sells a reel like this needs to be upfront and not claim it was a stella or saltiga equivalent, just an unbranded reel from China that is landed here for $20 and sold for $80 (or whatever). eg like this humdinger for $11 to $12 US

https://winfaith.en.made-in-china.com/product/CXyxpbOJALre/China-Die-Cast-Aluminium-Spool-Front-Drag-Spinning-Reel.html?expoName=spoga-gafa-2019&source=expo_search_list

Rods would be a bit different. As long as they have quality components and good blanks why not? No bearings, seals, gears in rods to break, much less of a risk.

Line and terminal tackle no way. Been burn't before, even with good brands, that turned out to be counterfeit.

All my rods are ugly stiks as l buy them on special for the same price as some of the cheapies, last time was 5 for $150, reels although l only buy these on special being a kayak fisherman l have to buy reels that withstand the punishment they get being so close to the water, as l dont work anymore and had to buy completely new gear for kayak fishing, l bought cheap combos to start, and have been replacing them as l can afford, I've been buying penn slammers as these although not sealed can be easily made water resistant and for a $75 reel you can't beat them, once I've upgraded all my cheapies with slammers or better, l will then look into upgrading them for sealed reels, my light rods have fin nor lethals l was lucky to get them for $50 each and my overhead trolling rods have fin nor lethal ltl 20's which l got for $169 each so they should last for a while.