Loop knot passing through split ring?

Anyone else had issues with their loop knots passing through the split ring on the tow point of the lure? 

I have had this happen once or twice in the past, but always managed to notice it before it cost me my HB.

Not today though. Brand new 70mm S/Rap.......R.I.P.

This sort of thing common or more of an anomaly? 

If its common, I might either start removing the split rings all together, or maybe try some snaps.

Cheers

TL

I remove the split ring and either tie straight to the lure or more often than not I will use a small Mustad fastach clip that way I can change lures fast without having to re-tie. I've found that removing the split ring & adding a clip hasn't affected lure action even in small light lures i.e. Yellowfin 3-5g lures, I like the Mustad fastach clips because they are rounded & allow the lure to move freely. I mainly use the Mustad fastach clips in 25lb this may seem way overkill but the smaller ones in 15lb are to small for my eyes & fingers 😁😂 so I only use that size when I have to. the 25lb ones are still small and light & I know their strong cause I also use them with my salmon lures

Yorky

3 hours ago, Territory Lad said:

Thanks HBt and Yorky, greatly appreciated. 

Do you notice much of a decline in fish strikes with the clips in place? Especially wary fish like Breambos?

Hi TL. In a word NO but having said that I have used clips for most of my bream fishing so not sure if my catch rate has been hindered by them. Only notice a decline in my bream captures if I havent put on the right lure 😉. Regards HBt

I've been using a quick change lure clip that you twist you lure on, i started using a similar one for squid jigs until i came across these that i now uselure_clips_quick_change.png.50b319db7b6a22f671da2eb5405c9c87.png

The lures work very well on them but find the thicker wired lures and big jigheads 5/0+ can be difficult to get on, then everthing I've read and watched on vids tend to say fish with big eyes can easily spook using clips (understandable imo) i am by no means an expert or experienced for that matter but if i use a fluoro leader so the fish can't see it why add a clip that the fish can? But i do use the clips whenever i intend multiple lure changes, i also have a couple of fluoro leaders with a good quality split ring tied at one end for my offshore lures.

I have also asked the guys in my local kayaking forum about the use of clips and lures, the responce was the majority said no clips, and loop knot to the lure however this was more in responce to fishing for pelagics. Another thing to consider about split rings is they damage the line so it should be checked often for wear at the loop or knot.

These are the fastach clips I use, they are available with or without swivel I use the ones without a swivel to lessen the added weight even when I have removed the split ring. Notice they are rounded where the lure attaches which allows the lure to move freely.

They are available in 5 sizes from 15 - 100lb, I use all sizes depending what lure I'm using for what species, I have used the 100lb when trolling for Tuna with no loss of action to the lure

mustad-fastach-snaps__29637.1489296432.jpg

@Yorky I actually bought a pack of those a while back, in the 25lb size purely switching between Squid Jigs and baited rigs when out in the boat with my mates. Havent been out since, so havent had the chance to test them.

Im heading over to Yorkes middle of next week, I might take them with me to see if I like them for flicking HBs or not.

@piratepom I think at a minimum ill be removing the split rings from all my HBs moving forward. Might have a play over the remainder of Spring and then Summer to see what I prefer in terms of straight loop knot or snaps.

You'll laugh PP, 5 minutes after I lost the new S/Rap I got a guide wrap and watched a brand new DC sail off into the distance. I took that as a signal it was time to go home 🤣🤣

Good times 👍

Personally, if it has a split ring, I don't bother tying a loop and instead use a uni knot. I find the split ring gives the lure enough freedom of movement that an extra loop of mono doesn't make a massive difference. 

However, if the ring is cruddy, I'll ditch it. Keeping in mind that with small lures, it may seriously effect the weighting and not let them dive as steep, as early, or to their full potential depth. 

Horses for courses though, if you want or require that extra freedom for a certain style of fishing, by all means ditch the ring and tie a loop knot right to the tow point. 

@AquaticResearch1 old mate from the Sandflat Fishing Australia youtube channel has the same view as yourself mate. Its quite interesting to see everyone's point of view. I think like all things its a personal preference really. 

@Softy seems to be a common theme. Your either in one camp or the other. Thanks mate. 

Appreciate everyone's input on this by the way 👍

I've been sceptical on both sides of the coin as far as the affect on the lure, can the fish see the clip and another weak point. I called into my local fishing shop yesterday and while looking around i had an interesting discussion with one of the owners about different clips, knots and split rings for lures, he was one of the local commercial fishermen in days past but the summarized version is tie the line straight to the lure no split rings, clips or swivels, one of the things he mentioned was swivels create bubbles. But hey this is his opinion, when im changing lures in the bay all trip long i think im still going to use clips, but for offshore im going to just tie a loop knot from the leader to lure😉