What glue to attach pool foam to Chupa-Chup stick

G'day

I've glued acoustic foam to concrete with liquid nails which lasted 20 years until the foam broke down.  The plastic straws on the other hand, hmmm, nothin much sticks to shiny smooth plastic.  Liquid nails might be worth a go.  I have made a few floats using polystyrene foam and wall plug spaghetti, glued with hot melt.  That worked ok

Cheers

Rod

7 hours ago, Rod said:

G'day

I've glued acoustic foam to concrete with liquid nails which lasted 20 years until the foam broke down.  The plastic straws on the other hand, hmmm, nothin much sticks to shiny smooth plastic.  Liquid nails might be worth a go.  I have made a few floats using polystyrene foam and wall plug spaghetti, glued with hot melt.  That worked ok

Cheers

Rod

Thanks Rod - I've got both of those options at work - I'll give them a crack on monday - might rough up the plastic with 40 grit first

1 hour ago, doobie said:

I've used this. $5 from BigW and waterproof.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/stuk-epoxy-glue-24ml/p/28881/

It holds the foam, wood and metal, to do this.

IMG_20191110_154217184.jpg

Thanks Doobie - if what I try fails - I definitely wont be stuck for options😉

I'll give the sticks a bit of a rough up aswell

121.jpg

122.jpg

5 hours ago, peatop said:

I've been using rubber cement to stick everything down the stuff you apply to each side and let it dry before joining, like sikaflex it would stick your boat to the trailer if put on the guides 😉 but a lot cheaper

Yeah I was just exhausting the list of glues I already owned before purchasing any new stuff - thankfully the hot glue does the job in this particular application

Yeah It has its uses

I originally bought it to glue lots of little rocks to PVC pipe in a fish tank - but it didnt work well in that application - there could have been some driver error but the rocks didnt hold onto the slick pvc  - I ended up using silicon instead. Its elasticity was much better suited to gluing fairly smooth rocks to pvc pipe

But I get the feeling there is a variety of different hot glue sticks you can buy, with different formulas and hardness's - and that roughing up the surfaces, is quite important while gluing slick surfaces together😉