Looking for YFW on Lure Chasers....

Hi all..

Recieved some lures in the post.. Nicely done and with assist hooks as well.. Couldnt ask for more.. Top bloke.

I had to go and see how they worked. I went this morning ( see my other write up).

They work well.. As good as the sugarpens do, basically the same action etc.

I only had the one on me.. Red head, green stripe underneath, some sparkles and stripes..

There were only small ones around today wanting lures..  This lure got the fish of the morning @24cm... They were smashing this, But being a lot of small ones about.. Was hard to get the bigger ones.

I used it for a bit and it held up well to the abuse..

Done well my friend. Im happy..

ALL CATCH AND RELEASED

Mike

2019-12-16 10.00.04.jpg

Had the chance to run a couple of these in my last two session and below are some early thoughts. I'll also continue to post back in here as the summer goes on.

To start with, im coming from a view where the Sugarpen is the gold standard in my eyes. The Pen casts like a bullet, skips across the water beautifully, is quite a flexible lure in terms or its applications and has a success rate that is widely accepted as high. So every commen / view I have on sBT's stick bait will be relative to the Pen.

That being said.

1st impressions:

20191222_202557.jpg.cafd41c83e793436da31990f455ec1df.jpg

On the RHS are the 4 "Bangas" as I have affectionately named them. On the LHS are the same 4, mixed in with 4 Pens to give you an idea.

- the blank is almost exactly the same. Same length, same profile/shape. The only differences I can ascertain are (1) a small "scale" finish as opposed to the Pen's lateral dots, and (2) the casting weight is marginally further back in the Pen.

- the blank has a rattle, where as the 70mm Pen doesn't. This appears to be due to the blank having the casting weight in the "chamber" as oppsoed to right at the tail end of the lure like the Pen does.

- the assist hooks they come with look good. Size wise they are maybe a #6 equivalent, possibly even a #4. The braid / assist robe used actually glows bright orange under black light/UV

On the water:

20191222_202504.jpg.02a5c5a637ee6fc870c7d268230447b7.jpg

- the blank sits differently in the water at a stand still. Where as the Pen sits almost 45 degrees (head up, tail down), the blank sits realtively flat with no discernable difference in buoyancy between any end of the lure. One of the blanks sat upside down at rest - maybe it was just a dud - but the others seem to be fine.

- casts well, much like the Pen does. To be honest cant tell the differece in that regard.

- seems to swim fine. Ever so slightly different action to the Pen, but this could also be due to the lack of belly trebel on the blank. Might pull the trebel off one of Pens then compare like for like.

Importantly - Results:

The plan I have used is - find the fish with my normal toys, then throw the "Bangas" in and see if they bite.

Trip 1 was pretty tough, nothing in my kit bag really got the job done. However the blank did seduce a couple of roughly 24 models.

Trip 2 was also tough, the wind was up and I wasn't confident the blank would create the water disturbance I needed. Normally in these conditions I would be throwing the larger 95 Pen. However I persisted and nailed an early to mid 30s!

RHS is Trip 1 (~24cm), LHS is Trip 2 (30+cm)

Note - I have cut the dangly bits off. I found they looked like weed and once I removed them I got more engagement for the fish.

20191222_202725.jpg.2af827e3a441f039795a4328c9cea305.jpg

@southie THE BANGA overall a good blank and very comparable to the Pen.

More feedback / photos to come over the remainder of summer.

Cheers

TL

17 hours ago, HB tragic said:

Reports sound promising sTB. Would like to purchase one with the pink head/orange tail and a green one please. Would like to try these colours on the bream 😉. Regards HBt

Once i get my Airbrush delivered I'll be out in the shed painting some more so will paint a couple up for you !

• 3 weeks later...

With the Sugar Pens on some sites now getting up to $33 and demand is there for that brand as being a successful lure,but the copies are on there way.I was shown 4 copies (pictures) last week and gee they are very close to the originals.He said he would send me a few to look at,thinking if people can buy them cheaper then they will sell quickly,who ever gets them out there first will be making some money from it.

10 hours ago, SurfcaztR said:

With the Sugar Pens on some sites now getting up to $33 and demand is there for that brand as being a successful lure,but the copies are on there way.I was shown 4 copies (pictures) last week and gee they are very close to the originals.He said he would send me a few to look at,thinking if people can buy them cheaper then they will sell quickly,who ever gets them out there first will be making some money from it.

It's the main reason why i went searching for these blanks to paint.. 

Paying 20 bucks plus for an top water lure for whiting is ridiculous.

If i can provide a cheaper option that still catches fish im happy to continue painting them and sell a few here or there...

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, BColly said:

I was reading this post and I noticed the Lures just had assist hooks only, no trebles or hooks on the belly. Is that a good way of doing it when chasing YFW? I’m going to target some on Sunday and would like to know so I can change some hooks over. 

cheers 

Yep it's the way to go.  Even add a couple more split rings to give more swing with the hooks.

You can put assist hooks on the belly which of course provides another chance of a hook up, but most don't.

Size 8 assist hooks.

Good luck on Sunday.

5 hours ago, doobie said:

Yep it's the way to go.  Even add a couple more split rings to give more swing with the hooks.

You can put assist hooks on the belly which of course provides another chance of a hook up, but most don't.

Size 8 assist hooks.

Good luck on Sunday.

Cheers for the reply, That’s good to know. Trebles can be a pain at times. 

I have a packet of Atomic Trick Bitz in size #010- NS, I guess that is size 10 and whatever the NS means. Is that size good for YFW? 

hope you had a good Xmas and New Year and have been getting a few fish 

51 minutes ago, BColly said:

Cheers for the reply, That’s good to know. Trebles can be a pain at times. 

I have a packet of Atomic Trick Bitz in size #010- NS, I guess that is size 10 and whatever the NS means. Is that size good for YFW? 

hope you had a good Xmas and New Year and have been getting a few fish 

They'll be ok, but get some size 8 at some stage - most use 8's.

Yeah xmas/NY ok, but the getting a few fish ain't working too well lol

6 hours ago, doobie said:

Yep :) Should be about $6-7.

Tackle shops will have them (not bcf etc) so shouldn't need to order (unless you have too).

Can get with some frilly things on the end as well, but wouldn't really bother.

Cheers Anaconda have some but not in stock.  Would the double clutch 75 be too big for whiting and size 10 assist hooks. I’ve got the double clutch 60 and 75. Thinking 60 might be better 

8 hours ago, BColly said:

Cheers Anaconda have some but not in stock.  Would the double clutch 75 be too big for whiting and size 10 assist hooks. I’ve got the double clutch 60 and 75. Thinking 60 might be better 

I suppose you could give them a go but wouldn't think too big.   After all, a successful lure is the Sugapen 95 and that is longer (but not cheap).  The 70mm is worth having too.

The best thing is to have a range of sizes and types - on the day, what doesn't work another might.

Have a look at these posts by mikecatts - he has a range of lures of lures that may help in what to have in your kit.

14 hours ago, doobie said:

I suppose you could give them a go but wouldn't think too big.   After all, a successful lure is the Sugapen 95 and that is longer (but not cheap).  The 70mm is worth having too.

The best thing is to have a range of sizes and types - on the day, what doesn't work another might.

Have a look at these posts by mikecatts - he has a range of lures of lures that may help in what to have in your kit.

Cheers for that. Didn’t do any fishing today, did alright raking crabs so stuck to that for 2 hours. Might be going in a few weeks so might get a fish in then. In the meantime I can get some of those size 8 hooks. 

On 08/01/2022 at 1:11 AM, BColly said:

I was reading this post and I noticed the Lures just had assist hooks only, no trebles or hooks on the belly. Is that a good way of doing it when chasing YFW? I’m going to target some on Sunday and would like to know so I can change some hooks over. 

cheers 

I use the Oceans Legacy size 6 or 8... Or the Shinto size 6 or 8 get the "medium" I trim off the red shiney bits.. Dont like the Trick Bitz.

Cheaper to make.. But I like em.. Im lazy sometimes.. Short skirts mate.. Not too long as they get tangled in the lure..

IMG_0131.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

20220119_090022.jpg.5e519ea23a944b155465299b9706bdf6.jpg

20220119_090016.jpg.155e331bc007fd86be95eea31a65c59e.jpgI

I have had reasonably good success making my own and think I have a simpler method than some others I have seen.

I just tie two hooks to a piece of 80 lb braid and loop it to a split ring with a strand of rubber alongside the braid, before pulling it tight I add two more rubber legs trough the loop created at the split ring. when it is pulled tight the rubber seems to stop the knot slipping when a fish is only hooked on one hook.

3 hours ago, alibaba said:

I have had reasonably good success making my own and think I have a simpler method than some others I have seen.

I just tie two hooks to a piece of 80 lb braid and loop it to a split ring with a strand of rubber alongside the braid, before pulling it tight I add two more rubber legs trough the loop created at the split ring. when it is pulled tight the rubber seems to stop the knot slipping when a fish is only hooked on one hook.

Looks pretty good :91_thumbsup: