The Best Snapper Bait

Guest xtrafishyfish

I prefer thai fish balls over squid testicles :lol: :lol:My first preference are red mullet fillets followed by slimies, salmon, tommies and gar filletsGot my big 30 pounder on a whole salmon head {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

G'day Smiley,I read this post the other day and it reminded me how good red mullet is for bait so yesterday when I went out locally for snaps it was the first bait I tried. It was VERY quiet at this spot but I did hook a big snapper on red mullet but got reefed.Went to a whiting drop next and first bait down was taken by a fish around 7kg on cockle and size 4 hook. Then got more using a bit bigger hooks with squid and cockle.Oh yeah and it was a bit bumpy. So I'd rate cockle as a great bait as I catch plenty of big snapper every year using cockle.But I voted for tommies as especially in the other Gulf I think they work best overall IMO. Drawn

Guest xtrafishyfish

Howdy Drawn yep! you can't beat red mullet for bait. Quite often you'll hook a snapper on your whiting rig (on cockles) when fishing for snapper, trouble is tho' these days the whiting hooks are made out of wire and not very strong... I lost a good size snapper on my whiting rig when he straightened out the hook so now I don't fish for both species at the same time {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Here's a great writeup on the PIRSA site about snapper fishing as it sums up my own views exactly of snapper having been taught by the "old school" of fishos' in my family {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif It's a great read {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/pdf_ ... er_fishing

Guest xtrafishyfish

Howdy Adon, I stumbled across that webpage earlier today and couldn't believe the views on our St Vinnies snapper was exactly as I'd seen it when I was a young kid. Before the Prawnies wrecked the Gulf and the Glenelg Tyre Reef, dredge and barge were dropped... the old local pros' used to pull tons of snapper off that spot you fish and we fished further south but when the tyres and dredge etc were put down it acted as a magnet and called all the snapper in from along the coast there and our spots stopped firing, now with the increase in numbers of snapper our old spots are working again with the influx of blue crab numbers and the month long ban... it's all good {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Interesting they also rate the old red mullet as well {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

I use mustad blood worm hooks size 4 for whiting, they are plenty strong enough to land snapper on but they go blunt quickly which is a pain. I find myself changing the hooks over once during a session unless the whiting are feeding well and we get our bag in under 2 hrs.I've been fishing over Yorks the last week and the best bait for the reds was whiting heads with about 1/3 of the frame left attached.Also got the smallest snapper so far on a live bait, it was 47cm caught on a live chow 15cm long.Drawn

Guest xtrafishyfish

Howdy Andrew, they're nice looking snapper {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Thanks for the tip on those bloodworm hooks, I'll check them out in the shop next time. I normally use the mustad #4 Allround hook for whiting but unfortunatley they've been taken off the market so I'll look at the ones you suggest as a replacement {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gifI used your advice you gave me a few years ago about laying down the whiting frames and the day I tried it I got the big 30 pounder on the salmon head. I guess the head and half the frame would be a better bait than just the head as the frame will flap around in the current and generate some interest from the fish... sounds like a good idea you've got there {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

I am dissappointed with how quickly they go blunt but can't bring myself to stop using them because I've never broken one on a snapper using 10lb braid.I bought a small packet of gamakatsu wide gape hooks the other day to test as they hold their points well and are supposed to be very strong. I was assured they work on whiting and if they are as strong as their other hooks they should handle a snapper no worries. l'll let you know how they go but l'm not sure how long that will be as I'm planning a snapper session on SP's next outing then chasing some callop and cod.drawn

the best snapper bait is...... abalone gut. its the best burley, bait and snappes love em. i caught my ten kilo on cuttlefish gut so i think thats cool tooo. but in saying this it doesnt last long on the hook cos everythin wants to eat abs. best for fishes taste buds but not for lastability if you know what i mean? so i chose slimies for my fav.