TOO CRIMP OR NOT TO CRIMP?

17 minutes ago, MIKECATTS said:

Hi all..

Im making up some heavy duty leaders using 1mm 100lb mono leader...… 

Question, Should I tie the swivels/hooks on or use a Alloy Crimp?

If a crimp, should I use a double or single and use a thimble?

and what size? I can only find codes for their particular wire/leaders.

Totally new to this so any thoughts?

Mike

and Im also making some 130lb and 80lb? Thoughts?

and Ive noticed that the real heavy leaders for sale are 80lb and up is mainly mono? why is that?

When chasing mulloway at Goolwa all sorts would take the line and i used 80lb leader,tying knots wasn't the best outcome as they would either start undoing and looked bulky.I'd recommend crimping,go to a tackle store and ask or work out for yourself which size crimps.You'll get a strong crimp by using a crimping tool,try crimping another way without the tool and it just won't come out looking right.

One crimping tool does various sizes,once you've got yourself kitted up it will last a long time.

Youtube will help you in the right direction

I generally crimp anything over 100lb. Knots are too big and they can when not under load unwind. (or I can't tie them that well with thicker line).

One of the easiest ways is to get a lure crimping kit like this

one. https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//TerminalFishingTackle/RIGGINGToolsMATERIALS(BaitOrLures)/BlackPeteBaitLureTOURNAMENTRIGGINGKIT-667-969-.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiAjrXxBRAPEiwAiM3DQu0fFRtIDaq5BjbzOZps1L4Xm6bBTS6AUTGyxFyaRQBYQEo0jgUJlBoCrAAQAvD_BwE

I bought my own crimps but you can also get the parts kit for less.

Here is another cheaper one

https://www.rigmastertackle.com.au/product/crimping-kits-2/

The FG is the king of braid to leader. As for braid direct to a swivel, the simple Palomar knot is hard to beat.

We had a monumental group tangle on a charter out the back of Wedge resulting in lost bimini doubles. Bite was short with no time for for tricky re rigging. 50lb braid straight to swivels using the Palomar did the job on BIG sambos. Stressful fights though wondering if the knot was going to hold.....

17 hours ago, AquaticResearch1 said:

Mike, I tend to tie everything from 150 down. Just keep the knots simple, uni knots to rings and swivels, maybe a Snell to a top hook in a two hook right with a uni fixing the bottom one on.

Flourocarbon is a fair bit more stiff than mono, so it makes it harder to tie knots in the heavy stuff imo. 

Thanks mate.... Ill try both methods, Knots and crimps and see what happens..

I fished Point Lowly and kept getting snapped off with 30lb braid/40lb Leader.. So Im going heavy and heading back there soon.. Im determined to find whats out there.

15 hours ago, Knackers said:

I generally crimp anything over 100lb. Knots are too big and they can when not under load unwind. (or I can't tie them that well with thicker line).

One of the easiest ways is to get a lure crimping kit like this

one. https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//TerminalFishingTackle/RIGGINGToolsMATERIALS(BaitOrLures)/BlackPeteBaitLureTOURNAMENTRIGGINGKIT-667-969-.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiAjrXxBRAPEiwAiM3DQu0fFRtIDaq5BjbzOZps1L4Xm6bBTS6AUTGyxFyaRQBYQEo0jgUJlBoCrAAQAvD_BwE

I bought my own crimps but you can also get the parts kit for less.

Here is another cheaper one

https://www.rigmastertackle.com.au/product/crimping-kits-2/

Ta for that.. I like the kit....

1 hour ago, MIKECATTS said:

Thanks mate.... Ill try both methods, Knots and crimps and see what happens..

I fished Point Lowly and kept getting snapped off with 30lb braid/40lb Leader.. So Im going heavy and heading back there soon.. Im determined to find whats out there.

No worries mate, just make sure there's plenty of spit on the knot and you make it bite down hard. Normally I'll get any random that happens to be near me to grab the rod, lock up the drag and point the rod at me, while I pull as hard as possible to tighten whatever knot off. 

Haven't had a uni or FG come undone in anything less than 150lb this way. I've used black magic supple and Jinkai. 

FG

put a loop in the end of the braid and then put the loop over the eye closest the reel.

Wind in the reel until there is a bow in the rod and the braid is under tension.

Now make the FG.

When crimping, PRACTICE PRACTISE PRACTISE....never use just one, sometimes they do slip

Cheap crimps... they used to be half this price... but still cheaper than anywhere else I've found..

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//TerminalTackle/FishingCRIMPSSLEEVES/WellsysOvalAluminiumMiniSleeves-8083-1715-.aspx

For me I tie. Braid to wind on leader is FG if I can get help or the Albrecht special. I generally use a swivel on the end of the leader for quick trace changes. I then do a locked blood knot to the hook plus a simple snell if a double hook rig and a loop to clip into the swivel I use a surgeons knot.

I don't have too much trouble getting the knots to tighten properly as long as I wet the line well before pulling tight.

On 04/02/2020 at 8:14 AM, MIKECATTS said:

Hi all..

ta for all the input.

I practiced some rigs..

Im happy with tying the hooks/swivels on.... Ill give it a go and see what happens...

I used the snell unit knot to hooks and the uni knot to the swivel..

Ill go FG from leader to braid, then uni knot from leader to swivel...

Mike

2020-02-04 07.55.01.jpg

Hi Mate. You don't have to use the eye of the hook to snell. You get a much better straight pull on the hook if you don't. Or you can get hooks with an offset eye.

2 hours ago, Knackers said:

Hi Mate. You don't have to use the eye of the hook to snell. You get a much better straight pull on the hook if you don't. Or you can get hooks with an offset eye.

OK.. Ill try that.. I have some 7/0 circle hooks that Im going to use and they have the offset eye..

Its bloody tough stuff to tie.... Ill work it out.. Might loose a fish or 2 learning though..

Ive landed 10kilo snapper with the way I tie my hooks.. But the fish Im targeting are way more aggressive..