COARONA VIRUS AND US

I am a health care worker and amateur prepper, so I'll share some of my thoughts. At this stage the restriction is only travelling interstate. Social distancing is easier out of the city and the fishing is better but there are a few down sides I can think about.

If you do go, some of the things to think about are

• How is your health? Are you in a high risk group due to medical issues or age? Medical resources thin out rapidly when you get out of Metro Adelaide. While community transmission of Covid is low in SA, things are changing rapidly day to day and week to week. Also as the outbreak continues, local country hospitals will rapidly be overwhelmed and may not be able to assist you.
  • Have you got any contacts in the West Coast that you could stay with or could help you if things get bad?
  • Do you have any family or friends that need assistance back in Adelaide. If you were stuck somewhere are unable to get back to Adelaide, would this be an issue.
  • I see you are reasonably self sufficient already. How much food, water and fuel do you carry and how far could you travel if suddenly things were locked down or if fuel supplies got interrupted? Would you be able to get back to Adelaide if fuel was short?
  • How good is your phone and internet network? I had trouble calling my parents today on the mobile network. They are in Melbourne and I got a prerecorded message from telstra saying that the network was having issues. Have you got any other means of communication is mobile communication and internet go down?

Likely hood of full lockdown is low at the moment but this is what you want to be keeping an eye on

https://www.health.gov.au/news/australian-health-protection-principal-committee-ahppc-coronavirus-covid-19-statement-on-22-march-2020

The AHPPC advise the government on public health measures. They have already spelt out their trigger for full lockdown and this will be the thing to watch

Or maybe I am overthinking this and we should all go fishing...

Going to follow on from this as Kelvin is someone in the know and i'm listening to what he preaches!

So how is everyone going with it all? Do you still have a job? how is your health? how is  your family going now? Did you need to line up for hours at Centerlink? 

Let it off your chest, it's better in out then in!

I've got about another weeks worth of work left then our automotive workshop will be forced to shut the doors 😪 15 yrs and I've never even come close to looking like we would need to shut down to make it worse looks like my wife will loose her job!

Hey but like they say count your blessings not your problems!

18 hours ago, Wert said:

Job gone, everyone well, don't get me started on centrelink, seriously the state of our welfare system is as big a disgrace as the behavior of the scumbags who are looking to take advantage of this nation wide emergency. 

Think I NEED to go fishing, it's good for the soul.

I lost my job due to my brain injury back in 2015 can’t find paid work . I will not defend Centrelink but at this time they are doing their best . I’ve had Centrelink issues cut off due to their error but back on Newstart. Sorry to everyone who has lost their job but be unemployed over 55 there are zero jobs in Adelaide. Now Wert if you think Centrelink is bad wait until you see a job provider in my case I’m with a disability employment service I heard every second meeting we will cut you off of Newstart various reasons main one attending the industrial court for my court case .

so while Centrelink isn’t great get ready job providers are worse 

plus there’s no jobs for over 55s in Adelaide 

And I was lucky to escape Nazi DES workers I took Centrelinks advice and volunteered for Newstart my age group 55 to 65 volunteer for 15 hours a week no need to look for jobs that aren’t there or go to meetings every two weeks or do another useless 12 month course . I was enjoying my volunteering job until they shut shop due to the virus 

It's sad to hear of so many people losing their jobs around the country, thankfully in my case I'm well over the retiring age (74) and still in pretty good health apart from lower back & hips being on the poor side the rest is okay.. I'm still heading off to the rivers for a spin session as well, I never see anyone else on them at the best of times either, so yes all good down this way for now.. Let's hope there's a cure for this virus in the very near future and everything gets back on track once it's over which will take some time to do so. When that will be who knows but let's hope it's sooner than later for everyone's sake.. stay safe & well everyone... thinking of you all back there in good ol' South Australia..

cheers

Adrian

6 minutes ago, Meppstas said:

It's sad to hear of so many people losing their jobs around the country, thankfully in my case I'm well over the retiring age (74) and still in pretty good health apart from lower back & hips being on the poor side the rest is okay.. I'm still heading off to the rivers for a spin session as well, I never see anyone else on them at the best of times either, so yes all good down this way for now.. Let's hope there's a cure for this virus in the very near future and everything gets back on track once it's over which will take some time to do so. When that will be who knows but let's hope it's sooner than later for everyone's sake.. stay safe & well everyone... thinking of you all back there in good ol' South Australia..

cheers

Adrian

I’m with you Adrian I will only stop fishing when I’m forced to knee back no more head injuries and my diabetes stays good :)

Micky 

Currently at the moment my work has gone the other way and we are dead set flat out we have almost doubled budget for the month and I'm still pumping  out orders and sending them out daily.

The only way we will close is if the Goverment forces us to.   

Sparkies are panic buying and trying to finish jobs before they get forced to stop aswell. 

Bloody crazy and according to our other branches there not busy. Must be because We are in town...

On 27/03/2020 at 8:20 PM, Hunter69 said:

Lost my job on monday. Lost my beautiful dog Thursday. Just 7 years old. Donut at Balgowan today. - ruff week. 

Mate, another job will be there when this crap blows over and we all have donut days.........But to lose your doggo is a very deep cut.

Sharing your pain.

39 minutes ago, Aff said:

Wouldn't take SkyNews reports as gospel Mike they play loose with the the facts and plenty of dogwhistle political messages in their reporting. Just my opinion.

Hope everyone is coping ok in these trying times and staying healthy. At least at the moment we can still go out for a fish.

Cheers all

• Can you go fishing?

Hi, I am struggling to find any info on boating can I still take my boat out to catch fish to eat if I go by myself??

-Sef
    what about the isolation of fishing off beaches and alone along deserted waterways...that's the only way I"m going to be able to stay sane during this developing crisis.

-harves

If you're fishing alone or with one other person and limit your contact with other people during the outing, you are free to do so. 
    Sophie Meixner about an hour ago(Updated: about an hour ago)
  • about 2 hours ago(Updated: about 2 hour

ABC News Blog, explains the application of the new rules.

Click on the link below to see the whole article/blog, questions & answers

On 27/03/2020 at 8:20 PM, Hunter69 said:

Lost my job on monday. Lost my beautiful dog Thursday. Just 7 years old. Donut at Balgowan today. - ruff week. 

Sorry to hear matey , loss of your job is bad enough , but to lose your best mate is hard , been there and yes its hard .

Hope you are doing ok , in such a bad time in every way . Stay strong man .

Hi All

I also work in Healthcare and would like to reiterate everything Kelvin said. It's important to take notice of the daily announcements regarding social distancing and the relevant restrictions. Things are changing daily and sometimes quite rapidly.

Just an example of what's happening in the regions, I received an email this week informing me that Stansbury Caravan Parks are cancelling all of their Easter bookings and closing both parks to all except permanent residents until 31st May. 

Fish locally and sensibly and consider that while you may want to travel, there's a lot of worried people out there who may not want folks from the city (who they may perceive as having a virus) visiting them.

Hunter69, my sympathies at the loss of your mate, one of my dogs passed away 10 days ago. It's never easy when they go.

Stay safe everybody

Wahoo