Hunter69

6. doobie

doobie

7. Plectropomus

Plectropomus

• Similar Content

• By Plectropomus
      Hi there brains trust.
      For years I have wondered why pictures of big mulloway often show a pink area of bruising on the flanks. In contrast, I have never seen this on underwater footage of NSW/Qld mulloway taken by divers and spearos. I am really curious to see if anyone knows more. I even began to collect images to see if the bruising was limited to one side, or the other, and if it occurred only on largest fish. 
      Early indications are it is mainly surf-caught, bigger fish, and often down the side toward the vent. See examples below, and the one with a yellow circle.
      The only things I have shortlisted from a range of possibilities are (a) a parasitic infection of some sort on the skin under the scales, (b) sand rubbing the fish when it is being landed, (c) some sort of contact with the line during the  typical way mulloway fight, and (c) "spawning behaviour" where males might nudge females.
      As a semi-retired fish biologist, this is one of those questions that buzzes around in my head begging for an answer!! I don't think it is anything sinister.
      Apologies if the photos below are yours! I just Googled them off various FaceBook forums and the net.
      Any ideas or observations??
      Thanks

• By bjorn2fish
      Metro
      Some nice squid have been coming from West Beach, Semaphore, Largs and east of the Black Pole. Whiting are being caught at Black Pole, Norma, Bower Road ground, Grange and bigger fish out from West Beach. Crabs are slowing but there is still a good feed to be had at the Silt grounds, Semaphore and Largs. Snapper are being caught around the shipping channel, near the John Robb, ballast ground, the Broadway and out from O'Sullivan's around the barge. Port river has plenty of salmon trout from the North Arm through to the St Kilda breakwater. Some nice bream are being caught near the North Arm wrecks, Port Adelaide sailing club and north towards the Port bridges. West Lakes has mullet, bream and some small mulloway. For the jetty and beach anglers there are still some mullet and tommies and squid off Brighton, Grange and Semaphore jetties.
      Yorke Peninsula
      Snapper are coming from Ardrossan, Port Hughes, Chinamans, Corny Point, Edithburgh, out wide from Port Broughton and north of the Orontes. Whiting have picked up at Port Hughes, Balgowan, Port Vic, Edithburgh and Stansbury. Down the bottom of the foot there are salmon and mullet. Marion Bay jetty has squid and tommies. Butlers has salmon and mullet. Squid are coming from Port Vincent, south of Ardrossan, Pine Point, Stansbury, Point Turton, Hardwick Bay, Port Vic, port Hughes and Wallaroo. Crabs are still doing well at Clinton, Ardrossan, Port Vincent, Black Point and Port Broughton.

South
      Salmon are coming from Waitpinga and Salt Creek. Rapid Bay has squid, tommies and some garfish. Second Valley has squid and tommies. Bluff jetty has some squid. Mulloway are still coming from Salt Creek beaches and the Coorong has mullet, bream near the Mondoo Channel and small mulloway near the dredge and east towards Mundoo.

Freshwater
      Some nice size callop are coming from Cobdogla, Big Bend, Castles Landing, Blanchetown and around Cadel.

Tight lines from The Dorsal Fin Team

• By learninglures
      Howdy all,  over a quite time at University I started writing a few reports about some of the fishing trips I have recently done  so here is a link to my reports, as it is easier than copying and pasting them all in. http://lachycross.wixsite.com/crossyscatches
      cheers  members.

http://lachycross.wixsite.com/
       Here are a few pictures from some of my reports