Knots for Flurocarbon

On my Tassie trip I lost 2 lures to 2 bloody big trout. Both knots broke at the lure on the strike. I was tieing uni knots on 6 or 8 lb line. Anybody got a knot that won't break like this. I haven't unpacked my fishing gear yet but it was good quality Japanese stuff. Maybe because of was using 8 lb braid on the main line - no stretch maybe? Drag was backed off appropriately.

if you use the the split ring on the tow eye of the lure that could be your problem i have found a lot of these split rings have sharp edges on the end of the wire the line of the knot slips into or is located at that point & will break off i have had it happen to me in the past all my lures now have no split ring on the tow eye & are now tied straight to the lures tow eye with a loop knot

100% agree with what Projoe said, also when tying knots in Fluro make sure you get the knot good & wet/lubed before pulling it up tight & make sure the knot is pulled up properly/tight as I have found if it's not both of the above you will get burn off with your knot

Yorky

The perfection loop works great, these days I actually use a different knot an old pro taught me, no idea what it is called and never seen a diagram for it but it's quite similar, more fiddly for attaching a lure also but nostalgia counts, never had a failure on either.

54 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah running the line through the eye twice before tying will increase the strength of many knots 

when ive tested them with scales, you get around 10% more strength

but being really smooth when tightening knots and ensuring they are heavily coated in spit before tightening is probably more important 

I do this when using a blood knot or locked blood knot to swivels particularly when using torpedo &/or ball bearing swivels. 

Yeah I’ve used uni’s for 30 years and only found that tip a few years ago

i don’t often use it because I like having a sacrificial knot to the lure, that I know will break before my fg’

but if I’m fishing “tiger country” and I want to pull as hard and fast as I can - I’ll double wrap the eye and deal with the consequences later😉

On 10/04/2020 at 6:45 PM, Softy said:

I know people hate clips... But Decoy 0 or 00 with a locked blood knot.. Never let me down!

I've had a bit of trouble with these bending out of shape and needing to be re-adjusted with pliers. Have you had similar? Maybe I'm just being a bit ham-fisted with them but it's a recurring theme at this point. 

My testing of the decoy round snaps came about coz blokes were saying the were opening on 4lb leaders

but straight out of the pack - I found they broke very close to what the pack stated

so either they deteriorate very quickly after the first use or their design lends it self to opening when wedged  between 2 rocks

but  I sneakily think, the guys opening them up on 4lb didn’t close the snap properly😉

decoy round snap strength test - (bonus test - Norman speed clip)