"Bernie Shzot's  Baltic series were, the Flash and Minnow which were the through line models, the Bobber which had the fixed double and the Gardie." See http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/paw-paw-and-more_topic1773.html

Being of a certain age myself, I remember when lure choice was easy in SA. The lure rack ws dominated by heavy metals: there were only Halco slices (with a red tag if you were flash), "Wonder Wobblers", "Wonder Pilchards", "Stingsildas", "WK Arrows" and "Baltic Bobbers/Gardies". Occasionally stocked were "Rebel Killers" (entire Minnows department), and "Flopys" (sole occupant of luxury, high-end soft plastics row!). Then "silver fox" VibroTails came on the scene and away it all went.......I still catch fish on my Wonder Wobblers and metal slices. I remember a summer when the mullowasy were on in the surf that I could not buy a "Gardie" anywhere

Baltics.jpg

Just remember to reel in fast when the wave is breaking so the line doesn't foul up the hook at the back.

Wish I had my Granddads rod now but I still have an Alvey reel matched up with a Wilson 10ft one piece rod that lives in my dining room.

But these days I use Spanyid Raiders or big blades coz they cast accurately right next the salmon schools and don't spook the fish.

Old metal lures are the ducks nuts coz they cast a mile and never say die but they also have some bad habits and don't copy the action of a wounded baitfish.

Big blades are also good but the trebles are prone to gathering weed at times like the Spanyids.

The old lures were more weed proof but swam too straight.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Thanks for all the info Plec - I spose ID-ing a lure was alot easier back then -  as they were only 5 of them😉

How did you retrieve these metals for Mulloway - Hop hop pause or straight retrieve?

There were'nt no "hop hop" about it with an Alvey 650C5 and 13 foot Butterworth blank!!! Hop hop" was not in our rule books. It was flat out for as long as you could stand it for me!!. I remember retrieving flat out off the cliffs at Troubridge Point for salmon and seeing them idle up and then casually peel off...despite me busting a boiler and going as fast I could to overcome the marvellous 1:1 gear ratio!! I spun up a few salmon on the Alvey but never even looked like getting a mulloway, and firmly believed they only took Baltic bobber "gardies"!!

Mind you, if someone said bream (or even snapper) could be caught on lures back then, they'd be accused of lunacy and utter fishing inexperience. Some of us even believed that aniseed was an "illegal bait additive" under fisheries law because it was so deadly. It certainly made the dough better to eat when waiting for a goldfish carp to bite in the Torrens.......

The only thing we had besides word of mouth was the eagerly-awaited David Capel fishing column in the Sunday Mail, and Cyril Seidel (in tie and coat) and his bait rigs on ABC TV Friday night {"first high tides for Saturday}. Anyway, better not go on and bore the younger folk on here....

11 hours ago, Tinker said:

Just remember to reel in fast when the wave is breaking so the line doesn't foul up the hook at the back.

Wish I had my Granddads rod now but I still have an Alvey reel matched up with a Wilson 10ft one piece rod that lives in my dining room.

But these days I use Spanyid Raiders or big blades coz they cast accurately right next the salmon schools and don't spook the fish.

Old metal lures are the ducks nuts coz they cast a mile and never say die but they also have some bad habits and don't copy the action of a wounded baitfish.

Big blades are also good but the trebles are prone to gathering weed at times like the Spanyids.

Yeah when I was loooking at the profile of these old lures they looked like they could do with a bit of bending to get some action out of them

9 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

There were'nt no "hop hop" about it with an Alvey 650C5 and 13 foot Butterworth blank!!! Hop hop" was not in our rule books. It was flat out for as long as you could stand it for me!!. I remember retrieving flat out off the cliffs at Troubridge Point for salmon and seeing them idle up and then casually peel off...despite me busting a boiler and going as fast I could to overcome the marvellous 1:1 gear ratio!! I spun up a few salmon on the Alvey but never even looked like getting a mulloway, and firmly believed they only took Baltic bobber "gardies"!!

Mind you, if someone said bream (or even snapper) could be caught on lures back then, they'd be accused of lunacy and utter fishing inexperience. Some of us even believed that aniseed was an "illegal bait additive" under fisheries law because it was so deadly. It certainly made the dough better to eat when waiting for a goldfish carp to bite in the Torrens.......

The only thing we had besides word of mouth was the eagerly-awaited David Capel fishing column in the Sunday Mail, and Cyril Seidel (in tie and coat) and his bait rigs on ABC TV Friday night {"first high tides for Saturday}. Anyway, better not go on and bore the younger folk on here....

Yeah I’ve had limited experience with alveys but I do remember them casting a mile......but bringing the line back in wasn’t much fun😉

yeah I’ve never understood aniseed scent in the salt. I know there are plants that grow along the creeks that smell a lot like aniseed so it wouldn’t be too “foreign” a scent there - and would probably mask some human odours but I wonder why it works well out in the salt.

i occasionally think some people catch fish in spite of the scents they are using, not because of them😉

like wd40 - a lot of people used to use because they believed it was made from fish oil but the website says that isn’t true. But i spose when the fish you are targeting mistakes golf balls for duck eggs - you aren’t dealing with the most discerning palate

12 hours ago, Tinker said:

Yeah nothing worse than casting a mile then coming up solid to a clump of weed as soon as you turn the handle. 
I’ve switched some of my metals trebles over to singles to help minimise this problem

E7C5A422-AB23-4BE7-B72E-BFC509EB3D2D.jpeg