Shimano Big Baitrunner Longcast Spinning Reel are they any good?

Hi all...

Im thinking of buying the Shimano Big Baitrunner Long cast real C14+.... to use with my drone..

Why this reel.. 

I reacon a baitrunner is better than a standard spin reel for this type of set and forget fishing..

It can hold 500+ yards of .35 50lb braid...

Has 20kg drag... 5.3:1 gear ratio.. fast retrieving.

Is a bait runner for the long drops chasing BIG stuff. Fishing around 200-300meters from shore.

On special... 20% off

Shimano quality..

To be mated to my Samaki Xtreme Surf rod 120SXH-12" long, 20-40lb line, cast weight of 3-6oz.

What do you guys think of this reel? or is there 1 better for around the $300 mark?

Mike

BP90157309-black.jpg

22 minutes ago, Territory Lad said:

Cant comment on the reel, sorry mate - but drone fishing? That is going to open up some interesting experiences. I've seen some footage of unreal catches from drones.

Best of luck with it!

In WA they are smashing the snappers off the beaches..

Ive pre ordered the Gannet Pro water proof fishing drone.. Got it at an intro price.. saved $100...

Yet to arrive due to the Coronavirus crap.. Should be here by the end of July, fingers crossed... 

Its a new design, water proof, has a bladder, can land and take off from water, live feed on controller.. Can carry 2kilo.... with the tried and tested DJI circuit board/software.. 

I ordered the camera as well....

Just hope it works as promised.. was this or a yak... prefer to keep my feet dry.. LOL..

What are you looking for in a reel?

Longcast spool for casting? Line capacity? Baitrunner feature?

The big baitrunners are nice but longcast spools will always be mechanically weaker than standard spools. The baitrunner feature is another thing to fail on the surf beach (with the extra sand and wave splash), but fine if you are only using it off the rocks. 

For drone fishing I suspect spool capacity and drag will be really advantageous. You don't want to be just out of range of fish and you'll want plenty of line capacity in reserve if chasing big ones.

There are a few big threadline reels that will fit the bill. For the price range the largest Quantum Cabos are very nice. I've got 2 of the 120s that I have filled with 400m of 40lb braid and 100m of 40lb mono topshot for surf fishing and slide baiting.

Shimano Saragossa 20000 would also work very nicely if you can get one on sale for the right price.

14 hours ago, Kelvin said:

What are you looking for in a reel?

Longcast spool for casting? Line capacity? Baitrunner feature?

The big baitrunners are nice but longcast spools will always be mechanically weaker than standard spools. The baitrunner feature is another thing to fail on the surf beach (with the extra sand and wave splash), but fine if you are only using it off the rocks. 

For drone fishing I suspect spool capacity and drag will be really advantageous. You don't want to be just out of range of fish and you'll want plenty of line capacity in reserve if chasing big ones.

There are a few big threadline reels that will fit the bill. For the price range the largest Quantum Cabos are very nice. I've got 2 of the 120s that I have filled with 400m of 40lb braid and 100m of 40lb mono topshot for surf fishing and slide baiting.

Shimano Saragossa 20000 would also work very nicely if you can get one on sale for the right price.

Thanks for that Kelvin.. Im after line capacity/set and forget features...

I was going to use my overhead reel, But It has a slow wind speed and will take ages to wind in..

I have a BIG threadline real... I was watching a vid of someone using a BAITRUNNER reel and thought that that is what I need..... I realy like how it works as a baitrunner….. I will be using off beaches.. Im care full with my gear.. and when set with the drone.. I will be up high in the dunes. well that's the plan anyways..

Im a lazy fisherman.. Who likes to set and forget... Hence why the baitrunner?

The shimano has the most line capacity in all the baitrunners I looked and has a 10year warranty..... Wont buy Kastking, etc.. They are junk.

Mike

Fair enough. Not many baitrunners will have the line capacity you need. The Shimano Thunnus 12000 holds slightly less. I've got 1 spooled with 30lb braid. The Penn Spinfisher VI 8500 LL might also be worth a look. I haven't played with one yet but they have the line capacity you need as well as the baitrunner feature.

Are you fishing with the baitrunner engaged? It might be abit hard on a surf beach as the drag of the waves will constantly pull out line.

I fished with a pair for Shimano baitrunner 40000D for a few years for snapper. I wore out the gears with just normal use after 5 or 6 years and had them serviced and the gears replaced under warranty.

I agree, would not touch the Kastking baitrunners. Too many cheap parts that break. I do have a Kastking Sharky II threadline that I use for a kayak reel that I am happy with for the price point.

18 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Fair enough. Not many baitrunners will have the line capacity you need. The Shimano Thunnus 12000 holds slightly less. I've got 1 spooled with 30lb braid. The Penn Spinfisher VI 8500 LL might also be worth a look. I haven't played with one yet but they have the line capacity you need as well as the baitrunner feature.

Are you fishing with the baitrunner engaged? It might be abit hard on a surf beach as the drag of the waves will constantly pull out line.

I fished with a pair for Shimano baitrunner 40000D for a few years for snapper. I wore out the gears with just normal use after 5 or 6 years and had them serviced and the gears replaced under warranty.

I agree, would not touch the Kastking baitrunners. Too many cheap parts that break. I do have a Kastking Sharky II threadline that I use for a kayak reel that I am happy with for the price point.

I just had a look at the Penn.... It has the line capacity, has the drag weight of 18kg.... It has a slower retrieve of 4.7:1.... Will that matter? they are roughly the same price, to the Shimano C14+.. But the baitrunner is preset on the Penn? Is the Shimmano reel baitrunner preset? Ide like to be able to set it to the weight I want.

Im going to be fishing high, over the waves.. so hopefully the wave wash wont matter to me...

and

I used to have the older Penn gold reels 30+ years ago... brilliant reels.. Are the new generation of Penns the same quality?

1 hour ago, MIKECATTS said:

I just had a look at the Penn.... It has the line capacity, has the drag weight of 18kg.... It has a slower retrieve of 4.7:1.... Will that matter? they are roughly the same price, to the Shimano C14+.. But the baitrunner is preset on the Penn? Is the Shimmano reel baitrunner preset? Ide like to be able to set it to the weight I want.

Im going to be fishing high, over the waves.. so hopefully the wave wash wont matter to me...

and

I used to have the older Penn gold reels 30+ years ago... brilliant reels.. Are the new generation of Penns the same quality?

The recent Spinfisher VI gets good reviews from those that use it in very punishing conditions. Well sealed; but that's not really an issue if you aren't getting it wet. I think they might have a bait runner feature available, would need to double check. 

Dinga Aus have them on special with a spool of 300yards of 8ply braid for $233 shipped? has anyone used Dinga before?

I liked that the Penn has a machined brass gear as to a cast alumin one... Its water tight... Cheaper than the shimano with a good capacity.... But having a preset baitrunner? I wonder if I can tighten the baitrunner drag..

After doing a bit of reading.. I see that the Shimano's have an adjustable baitrunner tension.. where as the Penn has 4 preset settings

I like the Penns features, But Im tending to like the Shimano as I can adjust the baitrunner tension....

Cant find a lot of reviews on them... so Just guessing about the shimano….

All good here from Dinga Never any dramas from them at all! 

As for reels I just bought an Daiwa eliminator 8000 Spin reel for my drone fishing Setup.  I'll roughly be able to get 700m of 50lb braid on it. I also purchased an Penn fathom 2 50lw which holds 600m of 50lb braid haven't used them yet but hoping to in the next couple weeks down the bottom of yorkes.. 

I'll be using an DJI Mavic Pro and m mate has AN 3DR solo drone. Mine can only carry 500g where his can carry 1kg no problems at all.... i'll let you know how I go if we end up going.... 

Hi all..

I decided to give a new reel a miss.. Ill use what I have initially, then go from there....

My thoughts about the baitrunner is that the baitrunner drag might be too loose, and will get dragged about....

I have a decent overhead reel.. Might try that if I need BIG distance..

Ta for the input guys..

On 02/06/2020 at 12:53 PM, southie THE BANGA said:

All good here from Dinga Never any dramas from them at all! 

As for reels I just bought an Daiwa eliminator 8000 Spin reel for my drone fishing Setup.  I'll roughly be able to get 700m of 50lb braid on it. I also purchased an Penn fathom 2 50lw which holds 600m of 50lb braid haven't used them yet but hoping to in the next couple weeks down the bottom of yorkes.. 

I'll be using an DJI Mavic Pro and m mate has AN 3DR solo drone. Mine can only carry 500g where his can carry 1kg no problems at all.... i'll let you know how I go if we end up going.... 

Let me know how you guys go...

Im looking forward to my drone.. Hope its what I want.. Very expensive bit of gear...

Mike

1 hour ago, MIKECATTS said:

Let me know how you guys go...

Im looking forward to my drone.. Hope its what I want.. Very expensive bit of gear...

Mike

haha only reason why I am going to use mine for drone fishing now.... I spent over 2k on the Mavic pro when it first came out as i wanted to add another dimension to my photography... But work got in the way now i have 2k worth of drone sitting there only been used a dozen times if that so might as well make use of it. 

Bought the Gannet release dropper for it and all so it is setup all ready to go...  

22 minutes ago, southie THE BANGA said:

haha only reason why I am going to use mine for drone fishing now.... I spent over 2k on the Mavic pro when it first came out as i wanted to add another dimension to my photography... But work got in the way now i have 2k worth of drone sitting there only been used a dozen times if that so might as well make use of it. 

Bought the Gannet release dropper for it and all so it is setup all ready to go...  

Good luck.. hope it works for you... Might have to get together one day and work this drone fishing thing out together..

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2020 at 12:59 AM, southie THE BANGA said:

How do you feel about Mavic Pro? I consider buying this model, I've read a lot about it, but I'd better get any recommendations from those who have used it? How smooth is it? Is it simple to use?