Help with Blades

They are one of my favorite & most successful lures for deep water use in my boat when chasing bream & schoolies.  they are very good snag detectors & i've had a few find new homes in the onka when fishing them from the bank & tend to stick to hards & softs in there these days. 

my most successful method of use was a good long cast but you need to just feather the last bit of the cast to make the lure lands with out tangling up i'll let the lure sink to the bottom & even let it sit there for a few second have had bream pick them up on the first cast. after a few seconds i give the the rod a sharp upward lift you will feel the blade vibe then let it drop be ready tho bream will quite often hit on the drop.

ive dropped in a couple of photos of some of the many bream ive caught on vibes over the years. cop the fatty in the 3rd pic gave me a reel tussel to get him out of 10 metres of water.

2010_0302pat0049.JPG

2010_0302pat0052.JPG

2010_0302pat0056.JPG

Ok trip one using a blade thought I’d try the Pat . Not a good idea in winter and yes I knew that from years of going there . Besides landing bucket loads of weed what did I learn . It’s slightly like using a plastic . Now it’s tiny weighs 4 grams the weight size of a 65 mm DC so it casts well . Tomorrow all being good I’ll try around west lakes . The vibration feels strange but I’ll get used to it .

10 hours ago, Mickyj said:

Ok trip one using a blade thought I’d try the Pat . Not a good idea in winter and yes I knew that from years of going there . Besides landing bucket loads of weed what did I learn . It’s slightly like using a plastic . Now it’s tiny weighs 4 grams the weight size of a 65 mm DC so it casts well . Tomorrow all being good I’ll try around west lakes . The vibration feels strange but I’ll get used to it .

Have a look at this guys vids as he uses blades often

• 5 weeks later...

I bought some i won't be trying until November in the bigger size when the boat comes out again,just currently beach fishing for mullet and salmon.I'd be curious if they work maybe you'd be interested in me sending you some in different colors and you can use them and tell us if they're any good.

If you want them just private message me with the address and i'll get them in the post.

58 minutes ago, Softy said:

I don't use blades much these days but I have these two in my bream box... Usually catch something on them when I decide to blow the dust of them.

4df072e6e972f8913c9158354e587a93.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Much bigger than the tiny one I bought now you got me thinking 

4 hours ago, Mickyj said:

God geez 

Yeah I’d just dropped a mate off on a floating litter trap to collect some tennis balls for his dog.

As I was floating away, I glanced at the sounder and said to my mate “you should see the bait on the sounder!!!!”  

He says have a cast, so I did

one hop of the blade and there was a solid weight.

It was on bream gear, so my mate had to balance awkwardly on a floating litter trap for the next 30 mins😉

1 hour ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah I’d just dropped a mate off on a floating litter trap to collect some tennis balls for his dog.

As I was floating away, I glanced at the sounder and said to my mate “you should see the bait on the sounder!!!!”  

He says have a cast, so I did

one hop of the blade and there was a solid weight.

It was on bream gear, so my mate had to balance awkwardly on a floating litter trap for the next 30 mins😉

Sounds about right not the tennis balls my mullieway have fallen to hardbodies on bream gear only landed three upto 40 cm and lost a bigger on 6 years ago . The Pat was full of bait fish schools . Fourth one would’ve been bigger but spat the lure . The ones I landed spat the lures at me on the land 

1 hour ago, Mickyj said:

Sounds about right not the tennis balls my mullieway have fallen to hardbodies on bream gear only landed three upto 40 cm and lost a bigger on 6 years ago . The Pat was full of bait fish schools . Fourth one would’ve been bigger but spat the lure . The ones I landed spat the lures at me on the land 

Yeah I’ve got a mate who occasionally eats a mulloway And he says when the bait schools are in, their guts are jam packed with 3 inch skinny bait fish. He said the stomach was like a sausage casing stuffed with tiny bait fish

so small lures definitely have their place for mulloway

here’s  one I got on a 5cm hb and 8lb leader

A5C7C646-1209-42ED-BD95-99DFCA23670A.jpeg

B4DF91D3-10CA-42C1-921A-0971B195134B.jpeg

47 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah I’ve got a mate who occasionally eats a mulloway And he says when the bait schools are in, their guts are jam packed with 3 inch skinny bait fish. He said the stomach was like a sausage casing stuffed with tiny bait fish

so small lures definitely have their place for mulloway

here’s  one I got on a 5cm hb and 8lb leader

A5C7C646-1209-42ED-BD95-99DFCA23670A.jpeg

B4DF91D3-10CA-42C1-921A-0971B195134B.jpeg

Ok what was that HB ?

Winter last year after I bought a Matt black double clutch got told by the tackle shop guy are you fishing at night . Me no I’m chasing bream ect that got a laugh .

so just after buying that one ( I need a new one ) it’s a dodge ride nothing in west lakes. I’m leaving see a small fish jumping cast at it and I can see  the small Mulleways hitting the lure violently feel it to and they ripped the trebles off iirc they got very close in to some steps .

2 minutes ago, Mickyj said:

Ok what was that HB ?

Winter last year after I bought a Matt black double clutch got told by the tackle shop guy are you fishing at night . Me no I’m chasing bream ect that got a laugh .

so just after buying that one ( I need a new one ) it’s a dodge ride nothing in west lakes. I’m leaving see a small fish jumping cast at it and I can see  the small Mulleways hitting the lure violently feel it to and they ripped the trebles off iirc they got very close in to some steps .

It was a “mojiko” one they used to sell at anaconda.  I think mojiko used to rip off river 2seas designs . So it’s probably just a copy of a river2sea. I bought a heap of mojiko a when they had a massive clearance in the Melbourne store

ill see if I can find the name when I get home

theu used to dive to around a metre or 1.2m