Saw on the news tonight about the Torrens being all but dry and thought it was time to ask something on my mind for the last couple of days.I drive over the tapleys bridge everyday on my way to/from work and have slowly watched it dry up especially with the heat spell.I usually always look at the same pools of water that were left on the way to and from work whilst in a day dream, on the way home yesterday I noticed it was full again ??? Not just a trickle but all the way to the beach.Straight away I thought they had let some water down from the dam but to hear about how dry the sytstem is on the news tonight, well... it's got me beat ???Can anyone shed some light on the situation for me....

Gee we are fantastic in this State,what a place run by total imbiciles,of the few things we have here,one being a pretty lake in the city,and we even find a way to stuff it up.Cant get any thing right,an absolute joke,I heard Lomax Smith flapping her gums off about it,we are in the hands of complete dimwits no doubt about it.

Dont know if any one was sharking there last night but there were toothies around the out let late yesterday arvo feeding on the carp that washed out. Not bad timing a very conveniante "malfunction", the fact that it hasent happend b4 and that they closed the lake the previous day due to BGA outbreak, me smels a rat. Also the council has advised that you do not enter the water around the outlet, down to west beach and along to grange. It (the shitty water) made it all the way down to Semaphore last night

Ditto Ranger. Same thoughts as you m8.One of my friends suggested this; Use the lake water to water the parklands(when it is full again) and then refill/top the lake up with treated waste water. That way the lake water is always being recirculated so to speak.Just an idea. Might keep the algal blooms away. Also we need Carp comps in there too.asbo :icon_cool:

Thats a great idea Luke ,but there are a few realities,the first one being that not everyone is a catch and release sportfisho,the joint would get hammered and fished hard,the only way it would be sustainable is if it copped regular stockings.And quite frankly ,the chances of anything like that ever happening in this State are a big fat ZERO we have more chance of hell freezing over.People have been putting the argument for that type of thing to happen before even you and I were born,the only way is for catch and release,then continuous stocking,as they do in other states.,Then who will police it ,no one thats right,they cant even police the states fishery properly as it is. What they will probably do is try unsuccessfully to get the Carp out as they have failed [using tax payers money]in the past,then there will be an empty blue green algae breeding drain .In reality the joint is nothing more than a cess pool.Cheers

To simplistic Luke, to simplistic.The boffins and bean counters will be on their slide rulers for the next couple of weeks trying to work out a solution.Mike Rann may come up with another bright comment like, 'Dont worry, its bound to rain again soon, bet ya it hisses down during the ClipsalO

Guest dabilda

Amazint fact......400 million litres of water & crap washes down and they tell all to stay out of the water for a few days.On the other hand, they try to tell us that all the brine from a De-sal plant will have no affect at all.All bullshit to feed media Mikes ego. Trust none of them.

The lake was closed to public activity in the morning, in the late afternnoon somebody opened the weir. The people screaming the loudest about the closure were people who hire out boats. Now the people screaming loadest about the lake being empty are the people who hire out boats. Who had the most to gain by draining the lake? The Council said that it was a "Malfunction" Malfunctions switch electric motors off, not on! Humans switch things on, so look for a Bloke named Mal Function.DaBuilda

On the other hand, they try to tell us that all the brine from a De-sal plant will have no affect at all.

The brine from the de-sal plant came out of the Gulf in the first place, There is NO EXTRA SALT going into the gulf. Sea water will be pumped out very gradually over a lengthy period and two thirds of it pumped back together with the salt that came from the other third. This will be slowly re-introduced to the Gulf and dispersed by the tide and currents. The total water taken out will be hardly measureable as a percentage of the total water in the Gulf. Over a year there will be far less brine taken out and reintroduced than the amount of water that pours from our drainage system every time it rains. The FLAT EARTH SOCIETY twits that tell you otherwise have not bothered to even sit down and think about it.As for the criminal act of releasing 400 million litres of highly poluted water into our Gulf in one foul hit, the persons responsible should be publicly drowned in Boliver Sewage Farm.RogerG

FishieThey use some pretty harsh chemicals to treat sewage at Bolivar not to mention white king etc that people throw down their bogs. That all ends up in the Gulfs sooner or later. Take the size of Port Stanvac, imagine a small corner of the entire plant and in that corner you have an area about the size of an olympic pool into which you backflush your filtration plant. With reverse ozmosis this is an ongoing process. When the pool is full the brine it gets pumped back out to where it came from.Now go out to your backyard pool, if you have one, if not try to imagine one,Take a scooner glass and fill it with pool water. Measure the Ph of your pool. Add one teaspoon of denture cleaner to your schooner after tipping one third of the water out. Chuck the contents back into the pool and stir it up. Now find some way to measure it. Salt content, Ph, etc. You can't!!!! The difference will be so small that it will not matter! The same as the desal plant. People seem to have this fixation that a desal will pump vast quantities of crap into the gulf that was not there before. But in reality, after a hundred years, you still will not be able to measure it. Half a dozen, 100hp, two stroke outboards used for a weekend would be equivelent of one discharge from a desal plant. I don't hear any fishos saying "Lets ban boats because they polute the Gulfs".RogerG

RogerG, i Totally agree with you. I have spent quite a bit of time working at the desalination plant up at roxby. The points you have raised are spot on.Just wish the clowns building it perhaps put the plant up the hill rather than in a place where it will be flooded from a spring tide with the wind up its ass, as has happened in that location before.

Just wish the clowns building it perhaps put the plant up the hill rather than in a place where it will be flooded from a spring tide with the wind up its ass, as has happened in that location before.

Plus the fact that the Gulf waters are destined to rise with global warming and melting of the ice caps. It may be sooner than we think! Within fifty years a large amount of our low lying coastal plain will be inundated at high tide. If the powers that be want the lower lakes to remain fresh water then they will need to start building levee banks around them NOW! I have stated this on another thread and I will state it again on this one. The Lower Lakes need to revert to their natural state which is tidal estuary. Despite what some ignoramuses think, the lakes have not always been fresh water, this has only occurred since white man stuffed around with locks, weirs and barrages. I have found many sharks teeth around Morgan and we found whale vertebrae just above the Morgan ferry.I have never heard of freshwater sharks or whales! The Murray at the Morgan ferry, at normal pool level is less than 3 metres above sea (2.4m if you leave lock 1 open) The whale vertebrae are about three metres above that.Getting back to the Torrens, the council now concedes that there may have been sabotage to the weir, that perhaps it was not Mr Mal Functions fault but a deliberate act by an environmental criminal.RogerG