1-3 kilo rod

I bought a cheap rod for Father’s Day 2-4 kilo it’s not good. I wanted a change . Was looking at my rods first one I bought to use lures on was a diawa aird 1-3 kilo caught lots of bream on a aird 2500 with this .

should I take the risk looks good feels good and the 2500 I’m using is smaller than the older diawa models 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, a few pics here too since this is a new design. The reel seat is like the Fuji seat on the Zing Xteme Gen II, except Daiwa doesn't have the scallops, it's 'ergonomic' and at first I tho

X8 grande ties real well. Nice small knot too. Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I settled on the Infeet 732LFS, bloody hell it's thin/light for a 1-4kg rod but lots of back end power. Sportsfishing Scene at Cavan had all 3 rods (Zing Xtreme, Arrowz, Infeet) with a few models of e

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, doobie said:

What's a better excuse than Fathers Day to buy fishing gear :D

Oh yeah, Birthday, Christmas and every other day in between ;)

If the rod feels good - do it.

The rod I bought is shit be better for bait 

but my oldest rod feels better and casts better than the last one iirc as I moved onto 2 - 4 kilos 

Hi Micky. Nothing wrong with a 1-3kg rod. If you are using your 2500 reel on it then balance/personal feel will determine which one you might buy. Would be worth taking your reel in and trying it on the rod you plan to buy. Personally I would not be using a 1-3kg any shorter than 7' but thats just my preference. Had a Nitro 1-3kg but sold it as it was just a little tip soft for my liking. Agree whole heartedly with doobie. Never a reason not to spend some retail therapy time on fishing gear. Regards, HBt.

2 hours ago, HB tragic said:

Hi Micky. Nothing wrong with a 1-3kg rod. If you are using your 2500 reel on it then balance/personal feel will determine which one you might buy. Would be worth taking your reel in and trying it on the rod you plan to buy. Personally I would not be using a 1-3kg any shorter than 7' but thats just my preference. Had a Nitro 1-3kg but sold it as it was just a little tip soft for my liking. Agree whole heartedly with doobie. Never a reason not to spend some retail therapy time on fishing gear. Regards, HBt.

Actually the rod I purchased was 2-4,kilo 7ft 2 pieces just didn’t cast far enough for my liking . The rod I’m thinking of using I just realised by reading it is 1-3 kilo and it was the first Rod I used with hardbodies after coming from fly fishing .

just having casting issues with the 2-4 kilos 

1 hour ago, Softy said:

All my Bream rods are 2-4kg I have no issues with it. In saying that i've never had a 1-3kg

I thought this one was 2-4 I assumed all my rods were . The 2-4 kilo I bought last week seems like it’s not for lures even though it says it can be used . The length of casts isn’t  great . The 1-3 kilo I caught bream on with a diawa Aird 2500 years and years ago my LT exist is 2500 and smaller . 

Last weeks rod seems more solid and the base is not like all the other rods I own they are smaller in length while the newer rod the base is longer 

Ok it’s not worth writing a fishing report . Saturday was a donut morning at west lakes flicking around a tiny Aus tackle black lure I’ve landed bream on in the past . Sunday I hit the northern end of the local third cast with a eco gear 30 something lost a 20 cm ST. The ecogear was gold black orange belly red eyes . Nothing else hit the steps but to much weed . Was a donut but finally I could cast a tiny ecogear lure and get interest .

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, HB tragic said:

You should have a little fun with that. Imagine a 1000 or a 750 on it. 😉 Regards, HBt.

Let me get used to it one of those reels needs new line . But I was thinking the same thing myself . Hopefully this rod will flick some smaller lures better than the 2-4 kilo and longer than the aird did . I think I have a some lures a great fisherman 😉 gave me time will tell 

My Samaki Archer... 2-6lb 6'9" long casts a 4g lure about 40-60 metres using 6lb braid.. my other Samaki Archer 4-8lb 6'11" doesnt do as well.. But the heavier one is way better to get "walking the dog" action better..... I prefer the lighter rod... Suits my fishing style... I use it for hours at a time and its soo light/balanced.. doesnt fatigue me at all..

I use a cheap Shimano $30 1000 reel.... Its held up well, but have to keep up the maintenance with it, especially the bail arm/roller.. gets tight...... It was best/cheapest way for me to get extra spools. I bought 3 when on special for $30. I have plenty of spares as well.. LOL.. and they balance well with the Archer.. Ive got a decent/expensive 2500 reel, but it feels too heavy/awkward for the light rods.. 

Ive always thought "would an expensive reel do better? One day Ill find out.. But spare spools are as much as the reels themselves.... I like to have 3 spare spools ready to go... Its just me...

4 hours ago, Territory Lad said:

Thats a bloody good cast that. Great result! 

Yep I agree.. Ive set up markers on my property.. I have 1 hector.... have practised to get the best cast... Ive found it goes further if the leader to braid knot is past the last eye... But tends to ware out the braid.. I use FG knots.. With knot before eye.. about 30-40metres.. 

I use super thin 6lb braid/12lb leader... The thinnest braid I can find... and making sure the braid on the spool isnt to full. A little wind behind also helps .. with no wind or very little I still can get easily 40-45 metres consistently.. using 2-6lb rod.. not as good with the 4-8lb rod around the 30 metres... same reals... I set up the two with identical braid/leader/reel/4.5g lure (no hooks).

I tend to keep the lure in a over head straight flat cast, rather than a over head lob or round house... The light rod whips it out no probs.. Dont need much effort to cast.. can do it all day.

I try and keep the knot right on the last eye when casting now, with about 2 feet of leader. Taken me a while and 100's of casts to get it right... My FG knot has 40 first wraps, then 10 second then 10 to finish.. Its a longer know but its easier to sit on the last eye..

My lite 2-6lb Diawa rod doesnt do as good/feel right..... I prefer the Samaki any day.. 

1 hour ago, MIKECATTS said:

Yep I agree.. Ive set up markers on my property.. I have 1 hector.... have practised to get the best cast... Ive found it goes further if the leader to braid knot is past the last eye... But tends to ware out the braid.. I use FG knots.. With knot before eye.. about 30-40metres.. 

I use super thin 6lb braid/12lb leader... The thinnest braid I can find... and making sure the braid on the spool isnt to full. A little wind behind also helps .. with no wind or very little I still can get easily 40-45 metres consistently.. using 2-6lb rod.. not as good with the 4-8lb rod around the 30 metres... same reals... I set up the two with identical braid/leader/reel/4.5g lure (no hooks).

I tend to keep the lure in a over head straight flat cast, rather than a over head lob or round house... The light rod whips it out no probs.. Dont need much effort to cast.. can do it all day.

I try and keep the knot right on the last eye when casting now, with about 2 feet of leader. Taken me a while and 100's of casts to get it right... My FG knot has 40 first wraps, then 10 second then 10 to finish.. Its a longer know but its easier to sit on the last eye..

My lite 2-6lb Diawa rod doesnt do as good/feel right..... I prefer the Samaki any day.. 

You do better than me I started lure fishing after saltwater fly fishing 10 years ago the Diawa aird rod was the first one I used . The 2-4 kilos I’ve been using weren’t cutting it for me the savage travel. rod was great over the other two rods until one of the eyes fell off .

i have used diawa aird 2500 back when they were massive I’ve used shimano  sienna 1000 and my shimano 750 now with a smaller 2500 .

the aird was much lighter than the 2-4 kilos plus would cast the smaller light weight lures . Once I have my first cast with this diawa 1-3 hyper rod I’ll try the smaller reels that was my dream back in 2015 before my head injury .

lets be honest the shop person tried to take me for a ride I should’ve known it was a bait rod like a broom stick .

i wanted a lighter rod my dream catch bigger fish on smaller reels I’ll get back to it pretty sure the 750 and maybe the 1000 have landed me 38 cm bream the old aird got me bream and mullieway

Just something to consider for future purchases is the Kuying Teton rod,currently the ultimate BFS rod for sale.Plenty of you tube videos on them for reviews and they can be purchased with spare top section if you snap one.

I have one and i have never had a rod like this thing.First time i used it then i knew why everyone raves about them.

download.png

On 22/09/2020 at 10:39 PM, HB tragic said:

^^^ Interesting. Had a Nitro Vapor 7' 1-3 kg but ended up selling it as it did not feel right in my hand for the hb fishing I enjoy. Am now waiting for an 8'6" 2-4kg to arrive. Keen to see how the extra length works in terms of casting and applying pressure when angling a fish. Regards, HBt.

"Am now waiting for an 8'6" 2-4kg to arrive"..  What is it ?

On 22/09/2020 at 8:02 PM, SurfcaztR said:

Just something to consider for future purchases is the Kuying Teton rod,currently the ultimate BFS rod for sale.Plenty of you tube videos on them for reviews and they can be purchased with spare top section if you snap one.

I have one and i have never had a rod like this thing.First time i used it then i knew why everyone raves about them.

download.png

Thanks I’m enjoying my Hyper I’ll enjoy it more when I hook up

On 22/09/2020 at 10:39 PM, HB tragic said:

^^^ Interesting. Had a Nitro Vapor 7' 1-3 kg but ended up selling it as it did not feel right in my hand for the hb fishing I enjoy. Am now waiting for an 8'6" 2-4kg to arrive. Keen to see how the extra length works in terms of casting and applying pressure when angling a fish. Regards, HBt.

I’ll let you know how it goes when I handle a fish . But for me it feels great with a 2500 reel and 1000 reel.

5 hours ago, SurfcaztR said:

"Am now waiting for an 8'6" 2-4kg to arrive"..  What is it ?

Sold some gear so am treating myself to an import from Tasmania. Its a Messiah Custom made by Scott James. Have seen a few videos / reviews of the rods so thought I would give one a try. Thought of going local but before I knew it had ordered one. Am very excited about it coming but still have a few weeks to wait. As an aside Scott sends photos of the build so that the purchaser can be part of the that process. Regards, Dean (HBt.)

4 hours ago, HB tragic said:

Sold some gear so am treating myself to an import from Tasmania. Its a Messiah Custom made by Scott James. Have seen a few videos / reviews of the rods so thought I would give one a try. Thought of going local but before I knew it had ordered one. Am very excited about it coming but still have a few weeks to wait. As an aside Scott sends photos of the build so that the purchaser can be part of the that process. Regards, Dean (HBt.)

You won’t be using it at the local HB in the Onk or the beach I’m guessing . Can’t wait to see the results . I’m happy with a light rod feels perfect with a smaller reel 

3 hours ago, Mickyj said:

You won’t be using it at the local HB in the Onk or the beach I’m guessing . Can’t wait to see the results . I’m happy with a light rod feels perfect with a smaller reel 

Correct Micky. The Onk and getting further out into deeper water at some of my favourite places in the Lake. 😉 Regards, HBt.

I'm usng the Teton spin only weighs 74g,2m long.2-10g lures and 3-8lb line.Currently using 4lb fireline crystal on a 1000 size reel.Mostly casting 3.2g vibes.Selection can be limited for BFS rods and especially for bait caster rods.This set up has made it easier on the wrist but would have preferred a 7'6" length for a bit of extra distance for flats fishing.

3 hours ago, SurfcaztR said:

I'm usng the Teton spin only weighs 74g,2m long.2-10g lures and 3-8lb line.Currently using 4lb fireline crystal on a 1000 size reel.Mostly casting 3.2g vibes.Selection can be limited for BFS rods and especially for bait caster rods.This set up has made it easier on the wrist but would have preferred a 7'6" length for a bit of extra distance for flats fishing.

I’m happy with flicking this rod I’ll let everyone know when I land a fish on it .

i have landed bream on one this weight before but shorter length 

and im using 2500 and 1000 reels maybe a 750 again one day 

5 hours ago, MIKECATTS said:

im good i prefer to hold it before i buy it right now i own a diawa hyper 1-3 kilo rod not looking for another one yet 

Edited by Mickyj
finished my response