Under wader wear

If i am fishing the snowys for trout then a good set of thermal pants is a must. Even down here in the South east during summer i will wack of on a pair of thermals if its cold. For a normal night a light pair of tracksuit pants with the ends tucked into your socks works fine. 

Use to hate wearing shorts in a pair of Hornes waders as they use to not feel right. Would sweat a lot in them when it was warm too (not sure why anyone would buy those Hornes PVC waders anymore?).

Now i have a pair of riverworks neoprene's and they feel much more comfortable.  

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on your waders after some use. Been toying with the idea of waders or a set of wetsuit bottoms for a while now, for the cooler months. Still not convinced one way or the other.

In terms of an inner layer, a thought could be a set of Skins / whatever the appropriate brand is. 

I've worn waders for a number of years now, but have never wanted to fork out big dollars.  So I have only use the PVC type.

If you have purchased the size above your normal foot size (hope so), then 2 pair of socks is best - as with 1 pair you'll find your feet are not 'snug' fitting, like wearing untied shoes.

I wear track pants and always tuck the legs into the socks - this stops the tracky legs riding up your leg when putting waders on.  On very cold days I will have some bottom thermals as well.

Then I wear an old long sleeved cotton shirt (warmer one on colder days), but if cold but sun is out, I stick with the cotton one.   A thin, sometimes a thicker jumper, depending on temperature.

Some kind of belt around the waist, just in-case of getting dumped, so I don't fill up with water.

Mind you, I'll be walking/casting for a lot Kms over a lot of hours straight, whereas, if you intend to just fishing at 1 beach and move 50 metres now and then - keep the warmer stuff on when it's colder.

I use the lightweight breathable waders here in Tassie, Under my normal fishing clothes I wear merino wool thermal long johns & socks.. 

With the river temps being around the two degrees here early season one still feels the cold through any waders used. But for Sth Aust and the waders you have bought I sure the merino thermals should be fine throughout the Winter months.. as doobie stated, always wear a belt around your waist too..

cheers

Adrian

Use my trusty PVC ones in SA year round for all my toe to waist deep needs when I don't want wet feet, I really don't like wet feet.

Like everyone said tucking your pants into your socks is the number 1,2&3 key thing for waders, footy socks are the best for this because you can get em nice and high and very comfy too I've found. Unless its swimming weather a second pair of explorers over them is great for comfort and helps breathing. 

For pants I've been loving those thin trakie dak style PJ pants, again unless it's properly warm a second pair of cotton trakies over these is normally perfect.

Skins were mentioned and I feel I can give an important perspective on this. I've used these too and they were great to start but they tend to need regular adjusting, particularly in the groinal region, and that can be tricky in chest waders when you're up to your thighs and carrying gear.

Natural fibres as much as possible is the go for comfort and breathability, too much synthetics and you will be filling your waders from the inside.

I have the exact same waders you bought. Just this Saturday I was wading a local metro spot (very murky and caught nothing but a single puffer). It was a nice sunny day, but the water was still pretty cool. I wore a cotton t-shirt with a light long sleeved shirt (made from bamboo fibers), I had a thick pair of socks and cargo pants, which are made from cotton and about the same thickness as denim jeans. I was fine, not cold at all. Only problem is in moderate conditions like Saturday, you will sweat inside your waders and my pants were fairly damp by the end of the session (about 3 hours). Unless you pay a lot more money, this is what you have to accept. I felt fine while fishing, it was only when I was taking the waders off , that I could feel the sweat. It wasn't a big problem and by the time I had finished packing up my fishing gear, the sweat had dried.

1 hour ago, Territory Lad said:

Out of curiosity, where you using these HBt? Cooler months on the flats? 

Definetly the cooler months walking some of the beach/flats areas of West Lakes to get out a bit deeper and the banks of the Onk particularly when the water level is lower. Thats the plan I have in my head at this stage. Regards HBt.

• 1 month later...

I got a cheap pair of waders years ago, used them for the first time 12 months ago at start of crab season.

Where the rubber boot section is "welded" onto the leg is a sharp hard ridge. Both calves were cut and bleeding by the time I got my 20 crabs. Scars are still dark very evident.

Don't wear shorts under waders!

If I can find the time to go chasing crabs I'll be wearing trackies or similar next time

Sent from my ULTRAMINTT Y3 using Tapatalk