Australia has a tackle shortage

Not fishing related but I noticed this big time with my promotional apparel business, hoodies went AWOL across all of my suppliers. Stock started to come in this month with a few suppliers restocking some styles. There will no doubt be a shortage with other gear coming into the warmer months too.

I use all Aussie suppliers but their clothing is all manufactured overseas. If anyone knows of an Aussie manufacturer of apparel please let me know. Most gear although branded Aussie is still manufactured overseas unfortunately.

On 26/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, Territory Lad said:

Yes and no. Depends on the item / brand and whether its a new item or part of an existing catalogue. I imagine it is also a case of stores not wanting to hold stock that they may not be able to sell due to the current climate.

It's interesting. Normally between the Easter and October long weekends, I normally go through about 200 kilos of lead over that period, then picks up again for the summer period.

I was expecting no sales due to cover but instead, it's been like the Christmas period every month - averaging 450 kilos a month, with my biggest month being 700 kilos!! It's been amazing and the good thing is that as everyone is struggling to send lead overseas, I'm able to pick it up quite easily :)

It's been great that our local tackleshops have been so busy though - fishing tackle must have been on the same shopping list as toilet paper :P

Noticed with work if ya after light globes you better stock up. We haven't been able to restock our shelves and warehouse since March/April. We have thousands of various globes on back order and its getting tough for us to fulfil orders to our big contracts with hospitals and government buildings etc. 

I assume it would be the same with most high selling commodities in general. 

17 hours ago, bjorn2fish said:

Not fishing related but I noticed this big time with my promotional apparel business, hoodies went AWOL across all of my suppliers. Stock started to come in this month with a few suppliers restocking some styles. There will no doubt be a shortage with other gear coming into the warmer months too.

I use all Aussie suppliers but their clothing is all manufactured overseas. If anyone knows of an Aussie manufacturer of apparel please let me know. Most gear although branded Aussie is still manufactured overseas unfortunately.

Bjorn, here's a small Australian owned business here in Northern Tasmania at Spreyton which is near Devonport that makes a variety of clothing.. I know they make school uniforms, work clothes etc.. now making COVID-19 masks as well.. site details below.. 

https://www.tasclothing.com.au/

cheers

Adrian

Absolutely. My other love is playing guitar and recently went on the market to purchase a new one, only to find that the majority of instruments I wanted to try were unavailable. Two reasons came up consistently, firstly global supply was affected due to Covid related shutdowns, and demand was up with folk in isolation spending their covid payments on hobbies to engage in. So basically demand went up, and supply went down.

I use tru-turn hooks for certain fishing applications, and cannot source these local so get them sent down from interstate, even some of these have been hard to source lately.

Finally with my affinity for the Alvey brand I know that they have been selling so much recently that they are struggling to keep supply to dealers, to the point where there has even been delays releasing new products.