SHIMANO CURADO DC

Any bait caster will throw 90mm -120mm,its when you start getting down to 10-15g lures.I was just wondering if the computer chip can work with out issues,i just don't want to re spool just to find out they're no good for that low weight .And what sort of run have people gotten from the reel.

1 hour ago, SurfcaztR said:

Any bait caster will throw 90mm -120mm,its when you start getting down to 10-15g lures.I was just wondering if the computer chip can work with out issues,i just don't want to re spool just to find out they're no good for that low weight .And what sort of run have people gotten from the reel.

Thats the weight of the 90-120mm HBs I was referring to. I spoke to the guys at SFS a month or so about it and they were adamant the Curado's would easily handle that weight range, even a little lighter if you had the right rod. The guys at T/world had the same view.

Unfortunately I don't have any 1st hand experience with the reels though.

I haven't tried anything under 1/4 once but if i did i'd have to drop from 14lb to 4lb braid,really got a felling the computer won't allow this,and this is why i was looking for the feed back.I was thinking of adding a LH but then i have read that LH and RH sometimes don't work the same being the same model.

I've had mixed advice on the braid, in relation to the Curado (and BCs in general) from the tackle shops. One said 15lb no issues - not sure if they were referring to a thicker braid like Power Pro, or thinner one like Siglon though. The other mentioned the thinner the braid you go, the more issues you run into - something to do with the way the line is laid on a BC spool vs a Spin spool. One suggestion around this was to use straight through FC of say 12lb. I have heard of some who chase Cod using straight through on their BCs. 

Hopefully you find someone with 1st hand experience and no vested interest in you buying the product.

25 minutes ago, Territory Lad said:

Thats the weight of the 90-120mm HBs I was referring to. I spoke to the guys at SFS a month or so about it and they were adamant the Curado's would easily handle that weight range, even a little lighter if you had the right rod. The guys at T/world had the same view.

Unfortunately I don't have any 1st hand experience with the reels though.

What you need is a BFS bait caster reel usually all have a low profile spool and there's some really good Chinese copies out there and with the correct rod you'd be fine

1 hour ago, Territory Lad said:

I've had mixed advice on the braid, in relation to the Curado (and BCs in general) from the tackle shops. One said 15lb no issues - not sure if they were referring to a thicker braid like Power Pro, or thinner one like Siglon though. The other mentioned the thinner the braid you go, the more issues you run into - something to do with the way the line is laid on a BC spool vs a Spin spool. One suggestion around this was to use straight through FC of say 12lb. I have heard of some who chase Cod using straight through on their BCs. 

Hopefully you find someone with 1st hand experience and no vested interest in you buying the product.

Currently using the Quantum KVD BCaster for 3.2g lures 4lb fireline,one thing i learnt was to use a 100 size reel or less.The reel needs to only run on magnetic braking without centrifugal brakes installed this gives me usually averaging 3 casts a minute,light weight and easy on the wrist

kvd.jpg

21 minutes ago, Territory Lad said:

Interesting, I was recommended the Quantum Smoke in the smaller size when enquiring about the Curado - how do you find the Quantum in terms of reliability/ usability etc?

Quantum never had any problems,i got the Smoke S3 PT and that thing is just so easy to cast .Got 3 BC Quantums,2 Kastkings and the shimano DC all up.Did give the Daiwas  a go but we don't seem to get along for some reason.If you want to try we can meet up at the water

Oops for got to mention the smoke runs 8lb braid and centrifugal brakes not really the best choice for the weights you want to throw,it can be done but there are easier reels to use.Minimum i'm throwing with the smoke is 5g.i'll weigh my lures and mark them with a sharpie so i know what i'm taking with me for the day and if i'm going to be casting into head wind all day then i'll take a spin reel instead

I have owned a Curado 200G7 for many years now. On a trip over to Edithburgh a few years back I lost it over board about halfway between Tapleys shoal and Troubridge island.As we were cruising at night and rods and reels are known to sink to the bottom we continued on and I was resided in the fact that I will never see it again.The next day some 20 hours later we were trolling for snook around marion reef just off of Troubridge island when I noticed something in the water.We turned around for a look only to be blown away to see my Curado and cork handled rod bopping away on the surface.I know this is not going to help you with your question about lure sizes and what not,but the fact that I took it home washed it and put it back together and have never had a problem with it since should convince anyone to buy a shimano, and a cork handled rod ,the bloody things float.