How i Butterfly fillet gar

An often asked question is "how do i butterfly fillet a gar"well this is how i do it.I use a rounded butter knife sharpened to a nice edge.Posted Imageput the knife right through the fish just below its butt and cut down to the tail.Posted Imagenow cut towards the head but don't cut through the ribs,then slice down behind the head too the backbone.Posted Imagenow with an angled knife cut through the pin bones but over the top of the ribs but don't cut all the way through the fish and leave the gut intact.Posted ImageIt will look like this when done but fold it back into place and turn the fish over.Posted Imagethis time start with the downward cut behind the head then with an angled knife again run the knife towards the tail cutting through the pin bones but not the ribs.Posted Imagelike this.Posted Imagethen pick up the fish and fold the fillet near the head so it is skin on skin and tear the fillet away from the fish,it is important to get it started correctly so you don't end up with any black on the fillet.Posted Imagethe end result is a clean fillet without any mess on the board or the fillet.Any errors you make like cutting through the ribs should be corrected before you start to tear the fillet away from the belly or you will get black lining on your fillet.It takes about 35 seconds per fish once you are proficient. cheers brenton

Nice one Brenton! This is a subject researched by many, and your post is the best I have seen. I have all but dismissed catching the fiddly little blighters due to the fiddly nature, but after seeing this I might have to do a re-take. And...I was lucky enough to find a couple of these magic filleting knives in the shack last time I was there :)

A pleasure mate, and thank you for the effort your taken presenting this. One of the most informative and well presented topics to date, which will be referred to often by many members over the coming years!In fact, given the number of queries on this subject, I recon I might even sticky this one to keep it prominent!

your butterfly fillest are held together by the belly meat, but the way i was shown its held together by the back meat. i have always wondered how it was done with the old butter knifes i will have to give it a go.so really you end up with the head bones and gut content in tact ?thanks for postin this anyways very informative

• 4 weeks later...

Great post there Brenton, :icon_e_biggrin:Was shown a few years back how to do it, but because i don't fish for gar regularly i forget "how to do it " :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Was told the old bone handle knives with" made in sheffield" on them were the best. ;)So hit your local Op Shop,etc and grab any you can find. ;D ;DI will be able to refer back to this article next time i get some Garfish. Thanks for posting it up Brenton ,and Ranger for helping out ;D

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

great post m8 i was shown by yogi bear and dkerr the same way 2 years ago got it down too under 40 seconds a fish now(after about 500 fish lol)not bad for someone who never target gar coz couldnt fillet them :unsure: and have shown fishos that have done the filleting coarse at pt adelaide and they all do it this way now ;) gd stuff taking the time to show others :)

Well presented post B - let me add my 5 cents worth here to make the process even a bit easier. This relates to leaving the initial fillet partially on the frame and removing the second fillet before finally completely removing the first fillet!Let me explain .. Its usually more difficult cutting the second fillet off due to the "fatness" of the first fillet being already cut off and holding that side proud. So follow the steps exactly as explained however just before actually "tearing" the first fillet from the fish frame turn the fish over and start the second fillet removal and only when that is removed turn over and remove the almost tear away first fillet.Must add I havent tried this on Gar but it works on most other species.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...