Just brewed up another batch

As I refine my technique (translation - just listen to what knowledgeable blokes have already told me( Bran is the ultimate smell absorber - and when it comes to soaking up liquid - loose newspaper turns to mush - but whole newspapers placed under the flesh act like an absorbent pad that can be easily removed before harvest.

Harvest time can be a sh!t fight that lasts 45 mins - or a forgone conclusion that is over in seconds - its all about controlling moisture content of the bedding material.😉

Once I get that right  - Melbournes $30 for 300 maggots is a price tag, I will never have to worry about again

I'm still in the middle of that sh1t fight - but im only a newspaper away from having the game solved😉

I met a bloke supplying SA bait shops a long, long time ago. He used to wrap  (fly-blown) fish frames in multiple layers of newspaper, then hang these packages in  a tree over a bucket of bran. High enough to avoid cats and dogs. Enough newspaper to stop liquid dripping into the bucket. He reckoned the gents (maggots) would burrow their way out between the wrappings when ready to pupate and drop into the bucket of bran. They would "purge" there and he would sort and refrigerate. Looks like you are producing bumper crops.

25 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

I met a bloke supplying SA bait shops a long, long time ago. He used to wrap  (fly-blown) fish frames in multiple layers of newspaper, then hang these packages in  a tree over a bucket of bran. High enough to avoid cats and dogs. Enough newspaper to stop liquid dripping into the bucket. He reckoned the gents (maggots) would burrow their way out between the wrappings when ready to pupate and drop into the bucket of bran. They would "purge" there and he would sort and refrigerate. Looks like you are producing bumper crops.

Yeah thats the last piece of the puzzle for me - super quick processing of the maggots to get them into fresh bran - but Ive actively encourage crows to hang out in the back yard, so I cant leave the fillets exposed - I'm hoping a full newspaper inside the bucket will provide the absorption I need.

13 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

As I refine my technique (translation - just listen to what knowledgeable blokes have already told me( Bran is the ultimate smell absorber - and when it comes to soaking up liquid - loose newspaper turns to mush - but whole newspapers placed under the flesh act like an absorbent pad that can be easily removed before harvest.

Harvest time can be a sh!t fight that lasts 45 mins - or a forgone conclusion that is over in seconds - its all about controlling moisture content of the bedding material.😉

Once I get that right  - Melbournes $30 for 300 maggots is a price tag, I will never have to worry about again

I'm still in the middle of that sh1t fight - but im only a newspaper away from having the game solved😉

I bet you can make an "auto-sorter" ramp and funnel using your observations of the maggot behaviour in relation to heat and light. Black Soldier Fly (BFS) larvae are grown and traded around the world as chook food and for pet stores. If you Google "BFS harvesting bins" you will come up with many images and videos. The goal is to concentrate clean larvae in collection bins. Like this one: https://imgur.com/gallery/iQZgzDO

My Black Soldier Fly Bin – vermicomposters.com

Edited by Plectropomus
spelling mistake
1 hour ago, Plectropomus said:

I bet you can make an "auto-sorter" ramp and funnel using your observations of the maggot behaviour in relation to heat and light. Black Soldier Fly (BFS) larvae are grown and traded around the world as chook food and for pet stores. If you Google "BFS harvesting bins" you will come up with many images and videos. The goal is to concentrate clean larvae in collection bins. Like this one: https://imgur.com/gallery/iQZgzDO

My Black Soldier Fly Bin – vermicomposters.com

Thanks Plec - Yeah that would work well - as long as I could block off the pipe for the first six days to ensure they stay gorging themselves on the meat.

Mine try to escape as soon as they are big enough to crawl 

Ill rig something up for my next batch

17 hours ago, Softy said:

I can smell it from here. :lol: 

Yeah with the bran soaking up the stink, its only half as bad as methods not involving bran.

I also think the skinned fillet of carp has less pong than the guts, skin and head..

I'd be lying if I said the process was pleasant - but it was better smelling than other times😉