Your Forum Name...WHY???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty funny when everyone see's Ranger driving along the Coorong Beach with "Ranger" emblazoned across the top of his 4WD and they all start getting rid of their undersize fish etc

Posted ImageI've found fishermen to be a VERY polite crowd! They always give me a friendly wave as I pass, and sometimes stop me with some very interesting questions! "Where can we collect firewood, can you tow us out, where can we camp, etc, etc!" :icon_eek:The name was given to me many years back by a crowd of Maori's I met.I was on my way home from the archery club wearing my shirt with some very official looking badges on the shoulders, I was wearing my old bush hat, and I was driving my old FJ55 Landcruiser.At the time I was a snake catcher, and I stopped to pick up a brown snake which had it's head caught inside a coke can.We became good friends (me and the Maori's, not me and the snake) and they all started calling me Ranger.After some weeks I asked WHY they insisted on calling me "Ranger". ???Their reply: Well you ARE a park ranger aren't you? That was nearly 20 years ago, they kept calling me Ranger, and the name has stuck ever since.

Cos I was a labrat for 25 years!Worked in an industrial laboratory and when the factory had a sample ready for analysis they would press a button which made a buzzer sound in the lab. Then I would go out to fetch and test the sample. It's a close parallel to early conditioning experiments done with rats that were trained to jump through doors when a buzzer sounded.And I don't know if the factory guys knew about those experiments but they called us labrats anyway.

when the factory had a sample ready for analysis they would press a button which made a buzzer sound in the lab. Then I would go out to fetch and test the sample. It's a close parallel to early conditioning experiments done with rats that were trained to jump through doors when a buzzer sounded.

What sort of treat did you get for successfully completing this task? CHEESE? :icon_lol:Hang on, I cant talk! At 7.00am each morning I was conditioned to clean out all the cages of "labrat" poo! :icon_eek:

When I got back from the middle east last year and got stuck into fishing forums I had to create a user name... well, the only thing I could relate myself to at the time was jagging fish up the clacker all the time. Not sure how I do it, but have blown away a few people at the regularity at which I can do it !!Doesn't seem to matter about the species either as I can't think of too many I haven't done it to :fishing: size=2592http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/4k9sF5pV__Chow.jpg[/img]

When I got back from the middle east last year and got stuck into fishing forums I had to create a user name... well, the only thing I could relate myself to at the time was jagging fish up the clacker all the time. Not sure how I do it, but have blown away a few people at the regularity at which I can do it !!Doesn't seem to matter about the species either as I can't think of too many I haven't done it to :fishing:

:icon_lol:Mrs Tyke is joining the club.Never seen so much foul hooked fish - just hope she improves on the species and gets something edible now!!! :icon_lol:

I saw a funny piece on the Ford Focus ST(UK) done by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame. He was having so much fun in the 5cyl turbo charged little beast that he nicknamed the car; the "A.S.B.O.". This is short for Anti Social Behaviour Order in the UK.As I enjoyed the article, and as it was about that time that I was joining another fishing forum, I thought that asbo would be catchy and easy to remember.A bit abstract but nevermind ;D

I saw a funny piece on the Ford Focus ST(UK) done by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame. He was having so much fun in the 5cyl turbo charged little beast that he nicknamed the car; the "A.S.B.O.". This is short for Anti Social Behaviour Order in the UK.As I enjoyed the article, and as it was about that time that I was joining another fishing forum, I thought that asbo would be catchy and easy to remember.A bit abstract but nevermind ;D

Is that him on your avatar mate?

I tried to register to some fishing site in victoria some years back, I need a name that was easily rememberd by me, so I used the name of my boat OSPREY, that name was taken so i changed the spelling to OSPRAY, it was accepted, now if i go on any fishing site I use OSPRAY to log in with, I even created an email address spelt the same way which is all fishing related. :-*

coz if i think there may be a fish in it i will throw i line in it! i have gone without food, sleep, sex and work to go fishing. i have frequently walked for 3 hours to get to that secret spot. i dream of fishing. i cant sleep for three nights before a trip (and i really cant sleep, 1-2 hours tops which can be dangerous). when all my fellow fishos have gone home i remain going 'just 1 more cast, just one more cast. i am only just getting a foot in the scene but i have not yet meet anyone as keen as i am!

Is that him on your avatar mate?
Yes Tony. Jeremy is driving the Ariel Atom. He enjoyed driving that one too. He makes me laugh.@Keen, you sure are. Gr8 stuff m8.